“Great hotel, wonderful service”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We loved our stay at the Metropole. The view was gorgeous, the room immaculate, the service exemplary. The luxury bed and bedding was heavenly. I felt like I was back in a little auberge in Europe. I loved the hotel and will stay nowhere else from now on!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 February 2011

This place had been recommended to us by a friend but i wish it hadn't!
I think it was way overpriced for our 2 night midweek stay in a deluxe room and the room did not feel deluxe! We did not see any other guests at all during our stay there but yet we were still put at the very end of a corridor, the furthest i think we could be.

They were clearly doing renovations during our stay and that did not affect our room but it would have been nice to have been told there would be workers and their tools around.
Nothing about this place felt special. Breakfast was pretty dismal when we arrived an hour before it was due to be over to find barely anything there, We asked for more bagels and yogurt (there was none!) and after waiting almost 20 minutes i joked they had obviously had to go and buy them from the Vons next door.....! ....Well low and behold in rushes an employee carrying a Vons bag, quick to unpack the bagels! Pretty terrible in my mind to not be able to maintain such a simple breakfast.

The bed was comfy and the TV was flat screen, Both fine.

But all in all, not good and i will not stay there again next time i return to Avalon which was a really beautiful place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. As the owners of the hotel since it was built 21 years ago our goal has always been to make the effort to satisfy each of our guests and to ensure that they enjoy our facility and the Island. Sometimes we fall short of those goals. There are times we just don't know that a guest is dissatisfied. When we become aware of a problem we do respond to the guest. We are currently remodeling our guest rooms, with new 42" Flat Screen TVs, new carpets, drapes, and other upgrades. We apologize for any inconveniences that may have been created by that ongoing work. We will continue to review our policies on Continental Breakfast. Over the years we have upgraded with organic fruits, organic yogurts, granola, fresh island baked pastries. The Von's bagels are freshly baked on the island and they are the island's only fresh baked bagel. I admit they don't compare with a New York Bagel. Please drop by and ask for the owner when you are on the island again and I will make a sincere effort to improve your feelings toward the Metropole. Thank you.

Reviewed 10 January 2011

I’m disappointed to say that my stay at Hotel Metropole wasn’t all that I had come to expect after reading the glowing reviews here. Could some of those reviews be plants? I would NOT stay here again, it is certainly not worth $300 a night.

All I can say it they hired a great photographer, because their website photos look way more awesome than the actual thing.

First off when I pay that much money, I expect at the very least a decent bed. Other reviews have said the bed was comfortable and luxurious, my husband and I did not find this to be the case at all. The bed was hard and springy, possibly the worst hotel bed I have ever slept in. The pillows were lumpy, stuffed tightly and safety pinned into their cases. We tossed and turned all night and woke up tired and sore, it was awful.

The hotel is not modernized at all. You need to punch in a key code to take the elevator up from the first floor to the second floor lobby. The receptionist never gave us a code so we ended up walking up to the second floor every time we returned to out room and catching it from the second floor. Most hotels now have a card swipe feature to their elevators if they don’t want non-hotel guest using their elevators but our room key was not a modern swipe key. It was an old style punch key. The room key also had our room number labeled on it… that can’t be safe. I also didn't like the fact that there was no throw bolt style locks on the doors. I thought that was standard security now?
The room was equipped with an old motel style A/C heater unit with knobs and dials in a weird corner spot. It was hard to keep the room at a consistent temperature. I don’t think it helped that the room was poorly insulated. There was a gap beneath the front door you could stick your hands through. We put a towel next to it to keep the light out. You can can’t turn on the fireplace unless you open the patio door which fills the room with cold air.

None of the lamps were attached to switches on the walls. To turn on the old lamps I had to feel for the old style knob switched which hurt my fingers to turn. The TV was an old tube style TV. The remote was disgusting looking and so old all the writing had been rubbed off.

Contrary to a previous review, WIFI is NOT free- it’s $9.99 a day. They also do not have Ethernet access in the room. Like I said it is NOT a modern hotel.

The room seemed clean enough, if a bit run down. The decor looks so much brighter and fresher in the website photos. In person it looks dingy and has a grandma’s old house vibe. We tried to spend the least amount of time possible in the room.

The staff was practically non-existent. I know this is the off season, but it didn’t seem like I was paying off season pricing. They need to staff the lobby. There was never anyone at the front desk when we passed through the lobby. You would have to wait a few minutes at the desk for someone to come out. When we finally did appear they weren’t much help. They couldn’t tell us much about local restaurants or activities. They mainly pushed their own restaurant.

Also don’t expect any special treatment if it’s a special occasion, we didn’t get so much as a “Welcome to Catalina,” let alone a “Congratulations!”

The hot tub and sundeck was extremely uninviting. The hot tub itself is grimy and missing several tiles.

The affiliated spa was decent enough but it’s probably the least professional day spa, I’ve ever seen. It’s impossibly small and you can hear noise from the lobby above throughout your treatment.

The bottom line is I would never stay here again. I wish I had spent my special occasion and money elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tinabeeana
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2011

Whenever we receive a critical review, we carefully read it and try to understand what went wrong. Our hotel is a small family run business and the satisfaction of each and every customer is important to us. In researching this complaint we were unable to verify that any problems had been reported during the stay. We always respond to customer problems and complaints in a fair and efficient manner, often going above and beyond to assure the customer is satisfied.

As of this moment we have ordered all new 42 inch flat screen TVs, which should be installed within the next 2 weeks. All new carpeting, drapes and bed linens, including new pillowshave also been ordered. These improvements should be completed within approx. 90 days.

Reviewed 15 December 2010

This is simply the BEST hotel available in Avalon. My wife and I stayed for a few nights and loved every second of it. The harbor views, the amazing staff, the incredible rooms - all first class. As good or better than a W or Four Seasons without the city bustle. My wife knows how picky I am with small details like linens, pillows, bathrooms, etc and the Metropole was just outstanding in every way. When we come back to Catalina (which we will, often) we will only stay at the Metropole! I am an avid Trip Advisor believer, and this is one review my fellow travellers can trust as gospel!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nolcol
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The weekend we spent at the Metropole was fantastic. It was our first trip to Catalina and we enjoyed it completely. The staff at the hotel was wonderful and recommended lots
of great activities and restaurants. Our room was warm and comfortable and at the
end of the day we couldn't wait to get a good nights sleep in our luxurious bed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mdherbst
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We loved the Beach House at Hotel Metropole, which far exceeds any other hotel in Catalina. It’s a wonderful escape and a hidden getaway for your dream wedding!

The Hotel Metropole is conveniently located next to the Metropole Marketplace Courtyard which includes an arcade which is great for the kids, a hair salon, ATM access, shops, restaurants, a spa and is 30 feet walking distance to a Vons store which comes in handy if you are hosting a party or reception.

The Beach House was the venue for my daughter’s wedding ceremony and reception in August 2010. The Beach House at Hotel Metropole overlooks Avalon Bay & the Metropole Courtyard. Her wedding reception was also hosted at the Beach House which was the perfect setting for a dinner celebration with music, delicious food (catering was handled by the Hotel’s - M Restaurant). The view from the Beach House was stunning … you can see the boats in the bay, the hills surrounding the island and the Beach House itself is beautiful …

We arrived to the Beach House to find a beautiful gift basket with champagne, fresh fruits, delicious crackers and nuts. This came with the wedding package my daughter and her husband purchased. The package also included round trip fare for 2 on the Catalina Express, Greenery for the arch (on the sun deck for the ceremony), the brides bouquet & grooms boutonniere and the Officiate. It was a great deal!

I can’t emphasize enough what a pleasure it was working with the hotel staff, especially our event coordinator Veronica. Veronica and her team were there to help us and had everything streamlined … it was amazing. They set up for the ceremony on the sun deck and immediately following the reception our challenge was to get all our guests out of the beach house so that the hotel crew could get the wedding reception tables set up. It all worked out beautifully, we had the group walk out to the waterfront downstairs for a group photo. This gave the hotel just enough time to work their magic as they changed the setting from ceremony to reception in a matter of minutes. I am sure it was a lot of hard work, but they truly made it a seamless process and worked quickly!

Both the ceremony and reception were stress-free since the hotel crew performed miracles! They transformed the Beach House into a beautiful ceremony area. They set icicle lights around the entire deck area and set up their white chairs (which were in excellent condition) in two rows in two sections on the deck. They had a center aisle that ended on the wedding arch that was adorned with colorful flowers and greenery, which were provided by Bloom Floral Design Studio – the island’s only, but cherished florist! All of this was included with the “Hotel Wedding Package”.

I have being in many Weddings but this was by far one of the most beautiful and intimate weddings that I have ever been to. There is no comparison to the unique and luxurious atmosphere of the Beach House. The Beach House’s décor is a unique collection of "eclectic furniture" and accessories.
It has an open plan design with a large and spacious full kitchen, dining room and living room complemented with high cathedral ceilings. Additionally there are 2 spacious bedrooms that allowed our family to stay the night after the wedding reception. It was all very elegant and comfortable at the same time.

The view of the ocean from the sun deck is a real treat and it’s an ideal setting for an intimate and romantic wedding ceremony. The backdrop to my daughter’s wedding ceremony was Avalon Bay and the beautiful rest of the ocean … it was breathtaking, like a scene from a movie :-)

Amazingly after the intimate ceremony we went to take a group photo and then some family pictures (no more than a few steps away at the waterfront) and returned to find everything had been changed just like a movie set. The setting was completely different and arranged for a dinner reception for our guests. The tables were neatly set up with their floral centerpieces and candles. Everything was set up exquisitely for the guests to enjoy the wonderful catering provided by the M Restaurant. The menu was predetermined and the guests had the option of chicken, fish or vegetarian. The restaurant even offered a vegan entrée if needed. The dinner started with an exquisite salad: Mendocino kentor canyon farm mix greens - heirloom tomatoes, hot house
cucumbers, wild flower honey and meyer lemon vinaigrette. It was delicious!

For my main course, I chose the fish which was sea bass. When I took the first bite, it was like an explosion of different flavors. The dish had all kinds of garnishes that made the fish taste delicious. Before taking a bite of my dish, I took picture of it, since the presentation was just so lovely. The dish also had a few petals (edible) and everything was color coordinated. It was just incredible. Not only the presentation of the dish, but the flavors were something that I couldn't compare with any other food. The heavenly feast continued with a serving of homemade natural ice cream with berries. Again, the presentation of the desert itself made me want to take a photo! It was so nicely prepared. I almost felt bad eating it :-) In the end, I couldn’t resist … the dish was as delightful to look at as it was to taste :-)

The catering services were well organized and there were no delays in guests being served their entrees. There were several waiters attending and checking that everyone was served, happy and satisfied. Thank you Roshan and your staff for preparing such top of the line food for our event. We could not have imagined a better assortment of food for such a special occasion.

After the dinner the “change of setting” was again stress free. The hotel staff had everything ready for the cutting of the cake, neatly set up and ready to go. After the bride & groom cut the cake, the M Restaurant’s catering team cut the cake and served everyone. It was perfect.

After the cake cutting, the hotel staff again worked their magic and in a matter of minutes rearranged the area and made it suitable for a dance area in the living room of the Beach House. Some of the guests went inside and others hung out on the front and back decks of the house to enjoy the wonderful party. It was truly the perfect setting. The Bride & Groom enjoyed their First Dance together as Husband & Wife and some people danced while others enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere the house provided. I danced until I just couldn’t go anymore! I forgot to mention that I was involved in every aspect of helping to plan my daughter’s wedding. I worked one-on-one with Veronica of the Hotel Metropole and Roshan of the M Restaurant and they both were completely professional and an absolute pleasure to work with.

We really don't have enough compliments for the staff that was so helpful and friendly, anything we asked was done immediately and with a smile. Our sincere thanks to the crew and the management that was coordinating all the quick transformation of the Beach House into a ceremony and later to a reception area. Special thanks to Veronica, Maria, Heriberto and everyone else who was there to lend a helping hand. Also, a very special thanks to the catering crew from the M Restaurant, the manager Roshan and the Chef that organized the most delicious dinner... with his new American cuisine created from seasonal ingredients.

Everything turned just wonderful! Thanks for making my daughter's wedding into a fabulous event. Now that everything is over and I am back to reality, I have received a lot of feedback in which everyone is telling me what a dream place the Beach House was...and that it was so perfect. The Beach House at Hotel Metropole was in fact so perfect that we already made reservations to go back (the same weekend) for next year! I truly recommend having a wedding at the Beach House at the Hotel Metropole and using their catering services provided by the M Restaurant!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank glowluz
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I found the hotel staff to be wonderful. They went above & beyond to make certain I was comfortable and they got me whatever I needed in a very timely manner. Relaxing lobby and free breakfast that I was able to eat on my patio was a nice amenity as well. Traveling without my computer, I also took advantage of the fact that you can use the Hotel's computers 24/7 & the surrounding area is quiet. My room was lovely and had a huge new tub with multiple jets that I took advantage of on more than one occasion. Overall, lovely, relaxing place to stay

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends