“Great location and wine, small not quite clean rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Mesa, Arizona
“Great location and wine, small not quite clean rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is an old hotel like most places in Catalina, it may be one of the best there but don't be expecting the service level of similarly rated hotels on the mainland. Location is the best, right on the main walkway for beach and shops. I don't think any rooms have an ocean view but its perfect for those that want to get out and do activities!
Cleanliness.. the bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been mopped, maybe just cleaned occasionally.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank klfromaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We were looking in to a last minute trip to Catalina to plan a romantic getaway. We knew it was going to be slim pickings on the island, if anything at all was going to be available, since it was 4th of July weekend. Found the Pavillion listed here and read over the reviews and felt it would be the slightly higher than average room cost. I'm not super demanding when it comes to my rooms. I tend to think of them as a place to store your stuff and where you sleep and shower, so paying several hundred per night for a place normally seems excessive. Yeah, I'm also a bit of a cheapskate sometimes, too.

I was familiar with the location and the look of the hotel. You really couldn't ask for a more central location if you are planning on tooling around Avalon. It's fifty steps from the beach, the pier, the best dive bar, restaurants, shopping, etc.

The rooms, while nothing spectacular by most standards, are actually quite nice by Catalina standards. I read on her about people dumping on it that it isn't the Four Seasons, but I think they aren't being very realistic about the fact that this is an island with difficulties getting the newest and latest everything, major construction considerations, wear and tear and the fact that the people that control what is allowed to happen on the island aren't exactly the easiest people to work with. Based on years of going there and the various other places I have stayed in Avalon, this really is one of the nicest and most well-kept up hotels I have stayed in there.

Where they really shine, though, is in the customer service. Everyone there went above and beyond to not just accommodate us, but to make us feel like welcome VIPs. As a business owner, I was blown away by the attention to detail they made for everything. Very friendly, very helpful, even after we checked out and stuck around the island while we waited for our flight home.

We will definitely be returning to the Pavilion Hotel for future visits to Avalon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ultraindy
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. I am proud of them for making sure you felt welcomed and showed genuine care to ensure your stay was memorable.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Pavillion Hotel is right on the beach on beautiful Catalina Island. As you enter the hotel off the bustling beach sidewalk, you enter an oasis of comfort and relaxation. The front desk staff are extremely polite and helpful. The garden area is a world away from the crowded beach scene - relaxing and pleasant. Our second floor room didn't have a balcony, but we had a gorgeous ocean view every time we stepped outside our door. Our room was large enough for two and very clean. We heard very little noise from other guests. The bed was super comfy along with the soft pillows. The included breakfast is ample with fresh fruit, a variety of breads, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. And don't forget made-to-order lattes! We especially enjoyed the afternoon wine and cheese. Great cheese choices and the wine was quite good - we even wrote down some of the names for purchasing back home. Sipping the wine and eating the cheese at our table with an ocean view was picture perfect. Very relaxing stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelboots777
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Pavilion Hotel. We sincerely appreciate the positive comments about your stay. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Catalina Island.

Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The hotel has great location just feet from the beach, friendly staff, wonderful grounds, up-to-date furnishings, comfortable beds and bedding, and complete in-room amenities (safe, fridge, starbucks coffee). The wine and cheese hour is wonderful. The value of our stay was significantly enhanced by the inclusion of a $100 value card for the catalina island company in our package. To get to 10 out of 10 the hotel will need to take housekeeping up that final notch to make it as exceptional as the rest of the hotel as cleanliness was good but not perfect.

Room Tip: Stay downstairs on either side of the main courtyard (includes wonderful garden seating). Avoid the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and recommending our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel on your next visit to Catalina Island.

Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Catalina has it all. We always choose to stay at the Pavilion Hotel because of their exceptional staff who provide attentive service to individual needs. All the rooms surround a beautiful open grass courtyard lined with flowering bushes and trees. If you want an exceptional experience book a downstairs room with individual patio, although there are umbrella tables and chaise lounges tucked within the gardens. We just returned from a week's stay celebrating our 60th anniversary there, and couldn't be happier. We started each day with a great complimentary breakfast, within a few steps to the sandy beach and sparkling blue water. The hotel offers a delicious assortment of cheeses and wines in the evening, and we loved to sit around the fire pit and celebrate with our family and new friends. You can even book numerous activities at their front desk. They will make all the reservations for you. I really recommend the "Sundowner" trip to the Isthmus in the open air boat, the "Blanche W." where you can have a personal encounter with one of the many bison, walk across to Two Harbors, and have a fantastic dinner at their restaurant. Going home the crew turns on the Klieg lights which attract myriads of flying fish. You might even get one in your boat! Everyone was terrific at the hotel but special kudos to Nathan, Elizabeth, Violet, Adam, Juan, Claudia, Leticia and all the rest who helped us celebrate our 60 years of marriage. We have spent many of our anniversaries with the Pavilion group over the years, and we have never been disappointed. Toni and Len

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. I am proud of Nathan, Elizabeth, Violet, Adam, Juan, Claudia, Leticia who went out their way to make you feel welcomed and showed genuine care to ensure your stay was memorable. They will be very happy that you remembered his name.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

That's the first rule of Real Estate. However in terms of Hotel locations it's also key. The Pavilion is a few steps from the beach at Avalon but is also just a 5 minuet walk from the Express terminals. Since Avalon is about a square mile in total you're also central to any events that may be occurring on the island and also the local Vons in case you need anything for your stay. The updated rooms were comfortable with an LCD TV and AC in case it's warm.

Additionally the hotel offers lemonade throughout the day, wine tasting at 4:30 PM and a nice garden area to catch some sun if you wanted to catch some rays away from the beach crowd.

Of course if you're bored you're right next to the harbor so watch out for the crowds.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear are close to 3rd Street. Choose a more central room for a more quiet stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pavilion Hotel during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your time to share with us your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

This hotel charged me twice for taxes. I sent an email asking for a refund, however I have not received any resolution. I have since called and left several messages, and no one in customer service is returning my calls. It's been over 2 months since I was overcharged and it appears that no one in customer service cares. I will now have to report to a governing body to get my refund. I guess the hotel was done with me after they got the money out of me. Beware, check your bill, and know that they won't correct any issues once they have your money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Remy442
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Hi Teresa-

We were just checking back on a few of our reviews and came across yours. We hope that the accidental charges have been removed. Please let us know if this is not the case by email us at social@scico.com. Thank you!