“Laid back, beautiful awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
West Hollywood, California
“Laid back, beautiful awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Cant say enough. Completely relaxed, great rooms, grounds are beautiful, staff friendly. The location couldn't be better. Was amazing to wake up, looking at the beach and harbor and then just a few steps to a variety of restaurants and shopping. Cant beat it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We loved having you stay at the Pavilion Hotel while visiting Catalina Island. Thank you for choosing to stay with us! My team will be very happy to hear that you found them friendly! Again, thank you for posting comments about your stay on TripAdvisor. We hope that you return to Catalina Island soon-and come back to see us!

Roberto Perico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Belleair Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The owner of this hotel should write a manual and offer training for other hotels. The little details made all the difference. LOCATION: walking distance from the pier, STAFF: eager, friendly, and they take the initiative to make reservations, provide info on the island, ROOMS: clean and comfortable w/a fridge; this may sound silly, but the in-room coffee/tea service is STARBUCKS, they provide a pretty collection of flavored creamers as well. TURN DOWN: these gals are giggly, and fun, offering waters and turn-down service each night. EXTERIOR: beautiful courtyard with fire pit, lounge chairs, wine & cheese evening exceptional - wine glasses Riedel-type & the wine very good choices. MORNING breakfast: no cheese Danish and canned OJ here. Fresh food and the ambiance is wonderful. Again, staff & the little details made all the difference. I'll leave out something so you can be as surprised as I was. :)

Room Tip: no elevator to 2nd floor, use bell services for luggage.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JennaMarti
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the rave review about the Pavilion Hotel. We were very happy to have you as our guest during your recent trip to Catalina Island. Your feedback on TripAdvisor is much appreciated!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfasts and wine and cheese in the afternoon! We appreciate all of the little details about our hotel that you mentioned. Please come back and visit us soon at the Pavilion Hotel!

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I could have stayed here for a week. An oasis. Delightful atmosphere. The staff were absolutely stellar. Beds super comfy. We had an upstairs suite and loved how peaceful it was. And the open seating area in the middle of the property was beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Polyglotte
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel. We were delighted to have you as our guest while visiting Catalina Island. We also appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor.

Upon your return to the island we hope that you choose to stay with us again! Happy New Year!

Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Most of my trips to Catalina have been for work as opposed to pleasure and as such I try to find the cheapest place I can. On this particular trip I hadn't planned on staying overnight so when I found that my work was going to take me a couple days I was caught on the island without a reservation. Thankfully the Pavilion was there. First off they offer reduced rates to guests who are there working for the island. This was great since their rates are not for the timid. My room was small, roughly the size of a typical Motel 6 room but the decor, furnature, and linens were decidedly upscale and everything was very clean. If I recall correctly, the room had a coffee maker and a small refrigerator but no microwave. As I recall my room didn't have a bathtub either, just a shower. I thought that was a little strange considering what the hotel charges per night. Then I remembered that Catalina is all about water conservation. All the freshwater on the island comes from desalination. They've even gone so far as to plumb sea water into the buildings for use in the toilets. Under those circumstances a bath tub seems a little wasteful. The television was a 42" flat screen. I don't recall what cable channels were available but I think they had HBO and Showtime. The bed was firm but very comfortable and I slept like a rock. The hotel provides a free breakfast in the morning with fruit, yogurt, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, coffee and tea. In the evening they have a free wine and cheese happy hour. I never finished working in time to try any of their wines so I can't comment on that. The hotel itself is built in sort of a horseshoe shape with a lush well landscaped atrium in the middle that is a little reminiscent of a jungle. At the north end near Crescent Avenue there are lounge chairs and fire pits and a small area with gas patio heaters for sitting and conversing and watching the happenings along the waterfront. I will definately stay at the Pavilion again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

I went to Avalon for my birthday and got a package that included the Pavilion Hotel, so I really knew nothing about it before I went except that it was affordably priced. I was extremely delighted to find that it had a superb location, a short distance from the ferry terminal and right opposite the beach on Crescent Avenue (which allows foot traffic only). The hotel has beautifully manicured grounds with lots of comfortable outdoor seating to rest your weary tourist toes. The rooms are a generous size, immaculately clean, well provisioned with a coffee maker and refrigerator, and one of the most comfortable beds I've ever had in a hotel. Rooms and lounge areas also have WiFi. In the morning, the hotel offers a "continental breakfast" that includes everything from hot and cold cereals, yogurt, fresh fruits, pastries, hardboiled eggs, ham, juice, etc. to coffee and cappuccino. In the evening, the hotel had an hour-long happy hour that provided wine and cheese. The staff was friendly, accommodating, and professional. I travel frequently on a moderate budget and this was one of the best places I've stayed in a long time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have seating areas that face the garden. Rooms on the second floor overloo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I loved hearing that you enjoyed your recent trip to Catalina Island and the Pavilion Hotel! We were happy to have you as our guest. Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor, we very much appreciate them.

My team will be very happy to hear that you found them helpful and professional, and our hotel inviting. We do hope that you make it back to the island soon to stay with us again!

Marlton,NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Right in the middle of the beach area ! Great value for the money . We stayed for my birthday 10/30 and also took advantage of the free birthday transport on the Catalina shuttle !
The hotel personal was very friendly ,Christian perhpas was his name o ?
The happy hour wine event was enjoyable as well

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian L
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Catalina Island. We are happy that you enjoyed your time over on the island and that you celebrated your birthday with us! I will be sure to pass along the kind words you left to my staff. They will be very happy to hear them.

We hope that you make it back our way very soon! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help plan your next trip.

Harbor City, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is beautiful. It looked as if it had recently been renovated, the staff was ultra friendly, and the proximity to everywhere we wanted to be was second to none. Upon our arrival we had an issue with the site we had booked through. I was confirmed through booking.com but the hotel apparently never got my reservation. The management quickly handled it by offering my wife and I an upgraded room for the same price as our original room. The room was basic but clean and beach cottage stylish. The perks of this hotel are definitely the view of the ocean and Avalon harbor which is literally 20 feet away across the walkway. Along with those perks they had a wine and cheese hour every night along with a beautiful continental breakfast in the morning. There was plenty of seating for these two events with every seat having a view of the harbor. Set back slightly further then the bistro style patio was a large fire put which was perfect for warming up and relaxing after a few drinks at night.
In summary, this hotel had all of the basics covered and much more. The staff was professional, even when dealing with minor computer related hiccups, and the hotel room and grounds were completely clean, beautiful and orderly. I would definitely recommend this hotel again for a couple looking for a few nights away for some peace and quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justin C
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent trip to Catalina Island. My team and I were very happy that you were our guest. We are sorry that your trip did not start off as planned but, glad that we were happy to make it end memorably.

Avalon has some amazing views, I am happy that you were able to enjoy them as well as the other things that the Pavilion as to offer. Please come back and see us soon! We cannot wait to see you soon!