“Amazing!”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Toronto
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

This hotel was incredible. We were on a quick tour of Cali and zipped to Catalina for only one night, I really wish we could have stayed longer! The hotel was amazing, the pillows and comforter were so comfortable I didn't want to ever get out of bed. The staff was really great, and helped us book tours, and activities throughout the two days. The rooms were clean and quiet and perfect. The courtyard was well taken care of. And it really was only a few steps to the beach. I would love to go back!

• Liked — definitely the pillows! and the location
  • Disliked — there was nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karebear85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
San Fernando, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

I spent several summers as a kid in Avalon and have a vivid memory of its hotels and amusements. This was back in the mid-late 1970's when my father and I chartered a 40' wooden Motor Sailor called "Sea Wings". The Pavillion was the first place I thought of. I remembered it's proximity to the beach and relatively short schlep from the ferry landing. So, I googled it up and, sure enough, still there! So, with my AAA membership, I booked a Sunday to Wednesday stay without hesitation. Then, I decided to read some reviews. All good and as it turns out that the Pavillion lodge ranked at #4 out of 18-20 other hotels. Then after more research, I read some of the Packages that include tours etc. I contacted the office and they were really nice. They had no problem "switching out" my reservation for the package. Turns out, even with my original AAA booking + Catalina Express booking, the Pavillion's internet package costed the same with the added bonus of Glass bottom boat and Scenic Tours thrown in! So, it was a no brainer. The other packages seem worth checking out as well.

So, anyway, we arrived a couple hours before check in. No problem! They did the paperwork and even had a bag check area to park bags until check in at 2:00PM . The room was well maintained. The service was friendly, courteous and prompt. (I am impressed with how "together" the Santa Catalina Island Company's machine is....efficient.) In addition to complementary HBO, they even offered 2 DVD movies to be checked out from their library. This was quite helpful since we had a 14 year old to keep entertained! The Shower was nice. There was a fridge which came in handy for Antonios Pizza leftovers. (A microwave would have been nice).

I particularly loved the open courtyard at Sunset/Dusk times with it's light breeze and view of Mt. Ada. (I would pluck and bow my GuitarViol with a Glass of wine and hoped I was of no nuisence to the other guests..). Actually, I did meet some really nice folks.
Shane (desk, nightshift guy) was nice and quite helpful. He clearly loves his job....The morning Continental breakfast was nice even though those cinnamon muffins were fattening and addictive! I preferred the room Coffee over what was served outside. No biggie. One morning, I needed a little more octane (caffiene) so I walked to the Esspresso/wine bar on the corner a few feet away and bought my own upgrade.

All in all, I would not hesitate to reccomend this place for it's prime location, friendly staff, well kept rooms, and packages they offer. If you really feel that you need super upscale treatment at Mt. Ada (Greenwich Ct. with an Avalon view...) $$$$$, then, hey, go for it. Personally, for me, the Pavillion fills the bill if you are going to be in town for a 2 or 3 days. What more do you need?

One thing: When we returned home, my wife realized that we left our cell phone charger and her newly purchased sandals in the room (maybe under the bed?) . I called the next morning and explained what happened. I was assured that they would look into it and call me right back. Never did. Maybe the maid scored....

All in all, Great time. Would do it again (at the Pavillion) , and am planning our next excursion with para-sailing on the itinerary.

See you next time!

Jonathan Wilson
San Fernando, Ca.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — No Pool and No Microwave in room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TogaMan
glendale, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

This is a very nice hotel. It may not be much to look at on the outside but the room was great. I was so excited to see that the shower head was high enough that i would fit under it. I'm 6'3. We had a second floor room with a nice view of the courtyard out the front window. It was a bright and tasteful room. The hotel is a short walk from the boat dock and is located in the middle of the shopping area and across from the green pier. We really enjoyed Sally's Waffle house next door and had fun on the Flying Fish Tour at night.

• Liked — the shower head was tall enough for me
  • Disliked — the price. very high
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Cave Creek, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

My husband, eight-year old son and I just returned from a lovely four-day, three-night vacation on Catalina Island. This was our first visit and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We booked the "Family Adventure Package" directly with the hotel, which we thought was a good deal. The package included kayaking, glass-bottom boat tour (which we upgraded to the underwater "submarine" tour based on the advice of a lady at the Chamber of Commerce - a wise decision) and a round of miniature golf. The hotel is in a GREAT location - very convenient to all activities (dining, the beach, etc.) and the Catalina Express port. The staff was very nice and helpful. There was an expanded continental breakfast every morning (juice, coffee, tea, muffins, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, oranges, apples, and bananas). There is a grass lawn in the courtyard (it used to be a pool at one time) with tables & chairs. It is a nice gathering place and provided kids with a place to play. The rooms are cozy & clean with nice amenities (refrigerator, iron, etc.). We stayed in Room 219 (bottom floor at the back end of the property near the road). The road provided some noise, but it was not bad since most people drive golf carts on the island. The beds in our room were very uncomfortable and seemed small, but after a full days of activities, we did not care because we were so tired. Additionally, the noise from the upstairs room was VERY loud. I would suggest staying in an upstairs room, if possible. Overall, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Beds; Noise from upstairs
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2008

I traveled to this hotel with 2 other families and we had an amazing experiance. Rooms were clean and fresh. Free DVD rentals for the rooms. Outside courtyard was perfect for little ones to run and play and for parents to sit back and relax. Office staff were very friendly, Perfect location for going to the beach or the pier since it's across from the hotel. Such a help to have towels from the hotel for the beach and the hotel showers and bathroom were so great after the beach and after checkout before we left the island. I highly recommend this hotel for families.

• Liked — Location to the beach
  • Disliked — Bed sizes
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2008

I booked through Catalina's web site and chose the Romance Package. This was for my girlfriend's birthday and it was one of the best vacation's we've ever had together! The booking online was easy and there were many package options to choose from. I chose the romance package and there was chilled champagne, assorted chocolates and a small chocolate cake in the room when we arrived, and it included lunch at the nearby Country Club and two round trip tickets on the Catalina Express. The hotel is right in the middle of all of the shops and restaurants making it easy to walk around and then go back to the room for any reason. The room itself reminded us of the 60s with fresh paint and a modern update. We liked the bathroom and the space in the shower as well. Overall the room was great, the courtyard was very relaxing and nice and the staff was very helpful. One bad thing - the air conditioning got really cold and when turned up to compensate smelled a little stagnant, which wasn't a big deal as we were out during most of the day.

• Liked — Comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — AC was too cold.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Corona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2008

This hotel was an excellent deal and by far the best choice I made about this entire trip to Catalina. The staff was very accomodating, the property was well kept, and the rooms were spotless. All of the pictures that were shown online were an accurate representation of what your room will look like when you arrive. We were lucky enough to be able to check in early even though check in was not until more than three hours away. Check out was smooth sailing on a Monday, and they had a complimentary baggage check with a constant on duty man watching all of the luggage.
The hotel offered some great perks like free dvds to watch in your room, available at the front desk which was attended for 24 hours a day. Each room was equipped with a Dvd player, refridgerator, and coffee maker. The continental breakfast was not extravagant, but a great start to a day. The weather was amazing, but the water was still quite cold, too cold for swimming.
My boyfriend and I agree that we would probably not even look elsewhere if we were to return to Catalina, the Pavilion Lodge is the ONLY place to stay.

• Liked — Great staff, Excellent Breakfast, Super clean rooms
  • Disliked — Bed could have been softer and longer
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple