Pavilion Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Catalina Island Inn(Avalon)
  • Bar/Lounge
1,175 results
All reviewsfire pitwine and cheesecatalina islandwine hourlounge chairsevery afternoonvoss waterturn down servicezip linecontinental breakfastperfect locationcatalina expressoutdoor seatingbagelsgarden areastarbucks coffeepeople watching
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2008

A friend and I popped over to Catalina Island over Thanksgiving for 4 days. Neither of us had stayed overnight on the island before so weren't sure about hotels. We chose the Pavilion Lodge because of its location and great package price. After 3 nights and 4 days at this hotel, I can honestly say the whole experience was fantastic. The property is beautifully maintained, the staff friendly and helpful, and the location the very best. Every morning by 7:30 an extensive continential breakfast was laid out in the courtyard and remained for several hours.There was always plenty of tables and chairs available in the courtyard and from many of the tables you had a great ocean view.

The best part of this hotel is its location. It's right on the beach and steps from restaurants and shops, yet we found it very quiet (of course, it was off season). It was also just a short walk to and from the ferry.

We are definitely going back to the Pavilion Lodge!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank OdeliaGrey
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I booked our weekend at the Pavilion Lodge as part of a Cape Canyon package on the visitcatalinaisland.com website. It was a great deal considering it included boat transport to the island, baggage service to the hotel, 2 nights stay and 3 different tours (Undersea tour, 4 hour Unimog tour of the inside of the island with lunch and a 3 hour Kayak and hiking tour of which we were the only participants)

The hotel is in an awesome location - it's right on the boardwalk but far enough to one end to avoid most of the noise and crowds from a bustling Saturday night. You can easily walk one or two minutes to get to where all the tours depart and the distance from the large boats dock to the hotel is about a 10 minute walk (1 minute bike ride if you bring your own bikes - the Catalina Flyer charges $7 per bike round trip so it was worth it to bring ours along.)

The hotel was cute - the exterior is somewhat of a 1960's chic, but everything looked new and well maintained. We stayed the first night in one room towards the back of the hotel and had no problems although in the morning after our kayak tour we came back to an odd smell of sewage in our room (possibly because we left the fan on while we were out instead of the AC.) We alerted the front desk and they immediately moved us to another room on the same floor near the front and right next to the staff cleaning room. We had no issues with noise in either room.

The beds were comfortable and soft - we loved having SO many pillows to use and the comforter was deliciously soft. The bathrooms are simple, but very clean. There was an empty mini-fridge (which seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur in most modern hotels) in both rooms which we used to store leftovers and drinks for our own use. We borrowed DVDs at no extra charge from the front desk library at night and stayed in at night since there's not too much happening in Avalon after 7pm.

The staff was awesome - we asked them questions about everything from local church service times, restaurant recommendations and tour information - even where we might find a bocce ball set on the island (The hotel has a great lawn to play bocce ball, but there wasn't one to be purchased on the island, we looked.) They have a baggage check service and stored our bikes for us when they weren't in use.

On the day of departure, check out was at 11am, but our boat did not leave until 4:30 so they offered us a baggage delivery to the docks which made our life so much easier.

We had such a pleasant experience I would not want to risk staying anywhere else when we return to the island for more adventure. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dinamet7
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We stayed by the cleaning room and were awoken every morning to bumping and slamming of the maintenance staff cleaning the rooms. Quite annoying!
Also, there was a lack of communication between the front desk and the maintenance staff who knocked on our door during a late checkout, even with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trip18California
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Well ! I decided to go to the Catalina Jazz Fest after years of wanting to go and I went online looking for a hotel. I found this one at a REALLY reasonable price and it was right in the middle of everything and close to the water and all the reviews I had read were great so I booked it.......It was the best time I have had in a long time. I went on this little jaunt alone.

It is a quick walk from the pier where the boat lets you off. The staff is polite and courteous and helpful. I got there an hour earlier than check in and no problem my room was ready. The rooms are clean and stocked with Crabtree and Evelyn soaps and lotions. The bed was the best and the fridge came in handy for my items I had bought from Vons. The courtyard was such an enjoyment. People were out there with their wine and snacks, reading and enjoying the day. It was quiet even though it is close to bars, etc. it is very quiet. I hated to go. I truly could have stayed a few more days.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank cookingirl
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I was pleasanty surprised at this quirky hotel with the Jetsons exterior. I woudn't go as far as calling mysef a hotel snob, but I try to get the best for as little as possible. We wanted an inexpensive family trip, my husband and I, and our 2 children, ages 8 and 9., there weren't many choices in Catalina that I could accomodate all of us comfortably, without booking 2 separate rooms, and that is the major reason we booked Pavilion Lodge. I prefer more updated modern hotels, and was a little concerned when we walked up to the front of the hotel, and were received by 2 huge neon blue and green structures. The line to check in was long, only 1 agent working, so we checked our baggage around the corner with the very friendy steward in charge of lending out the beach towels. After we were able to check into the room, I was impressed at the size of the room, almost a mini-suite with 2 double beds, a small table and 2 chairs. The sheets looked modern enough, and the sheets (very very important) were cool and soft. We were in a downstairs unit, and were never disturbed by any noise, although there seemed to be more families than couples.
Their continental breakfast was a fun ritual for the kids. Our room was relatively close to the buffet table, so we allowed them to go pick out their breakfast and save us a good table by the pool to eat and relax.
We booked our room directly from the hotel's website. After researching other options like Expedia, travel agents, etc, I found that there's was still the best deal. Our package included room, ferry, and 2 activities Initially, we wanted to do the clear bottom boat tour, but the boat was out of commission the day we wanted it, so the hotel staff upgraded us for free, to the submarine tour. This was a great experience! We snorkeled the same place where the submarine parked for observation, and the number of fish we saw was incredible.
Great destination with lots to do for the active family.! My husband and I are returning this weekend, but just the 2 of us this time. So we're abe to stay at a more intimate hotel The Metropole.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family