Hotel Vista Del Mar
US$202
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mac Rae(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$223
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$178
US$184
US$189
Pavilion Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$225
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$301
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$324
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$346
  • Breakfast included
Catalina Island Inn(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscookies and milkcourtyard deluxe roomavalon suitecontinental breakfastwet barcatalina islandsteve's steakhousemini bartwo flights of stairsperfect locationoverlooking the beachthe open air lobbyfabulous hotelthird floorrooms are beautifulno elevatorgreen pier
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My partner and stayed and the Hotel Vista Del Mar for my birthday. I was sea sick when we arrived and it just so happened the assistant manager was outside and assisted us with our luggage (his name was Juan) he took us directly to our room. We had a room with the private balcony 101 which is the best room in the Hotel you have fabulous ocean views of the bay are. Also Steves Steak House is located on the second floor and they do provide room service to the Hotel the food is wonderful and we ate diner on the balcony the nights we were there. The lobby is awsome with all flowers and plants. I check other Hotels prior to our trip and I am so glad this is the Hotel I chose. Jessie the day clerk assisted us with our luggage there is a service that will pick up and deliver your luggage to the Hotels I was unaware of this until informed by Jessie he made sure all of our needs were met. The service is inpecable. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the island. Thanks for making our trip memerable

Room Tip: The best room is 101
2  Thank nursebob
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Great location front water in Avalon Bay - Most rooms do not have water view but that is made clear in advertising. There is a great upper floor verandah available to all to sit and take in the views with a light breakfast. Rooms small but very 30"s so suited the theme expected. The only complaint was the airconditioner. Because of its location near floor at entrance door - it "snap cooled" just that local area and then cycled off - only to cycle on gain a few minutes later as the overall room was not cool. This went on all night. LOcation of aircon seems to be th same in all the inner rooms..

1  Thank XR6Bogey
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Let me first start by saying... I researched the heck out of this hotel and many others before I booked the Hotel Vista Del Mar.
So, the least I could do was give my input to others.

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in a Courtyard Deluxe room. We went for our 2nd wedding anniversary. I was very happy with the hotel! The rooms were clean & comfortable. Our room had crown molding, which is a great touch. The fireplace and the flat screen TV were really nice. They are right next to each other, so we could enjoy the fire while watching a movie. It doesn't put off a lot of heat, so it's more for the ambiance. We liked that we could get DVD/ Blu Ray movies for free. They have about 50-70 movies to choose from.
They even left us a complimentary bottle of champagne and a card for our anniversary.

We really liked the sitting area by the front desk, that over looks the water. The hallway to all the rooms, was very pretty. Lots of plants and flowers, under skylights. It's a nice touch. Very bright and cheery.
The continental breakfast was good. They served different types of bagels, mini cinnamon rolls, banana bread, 2 different types of cereals, OJ, coffee, wide assortment of teas. We only enjoyed it on our last morning. It was nice to have a light breakfast before we left the island, especially after all the money went spend on food while there.

This is a topic that I wouldn't normally even think about, but because I see other comments on the stairs, I will also.
I've read people complain about the hotel not having an elevator. It's really no big deal at all. Unless you are in a wheelchair, handicap in some way or an elderly person that has troubles with stairs, it's not a bad climb to get to the top. Yes, the hotel is on the 3rd floor, but easy to get up. I didn't even think about it. It's not like it's a surprise, they told me when I booked the room.

The couple of negatives were the walls in the rooms are a little thin. On the first night at about 2:30 a.m. we were awakened by some loud drunk people (other guests) in the hallway. The 2nd night we had to hear the neighbors 'going at it'. I could have done without that. But, honestly I have heard the same things in other hotels.

Please note that you shouldn't expect to take a nice relaxing bath in the tub with 'jacuzzi jets'. I believe that the tub is actually a bit smaller than an average tub and wasn't very appealing. Now, I wouldn't take a bath in about 95% of hotels any way...so it was a non-issue for me. The shower head was nice and the towels were new and bright white.
Bathroom was very clean.
There are several little touches that make the room nice. They are updated and bright.

Overall we thought the room was great, the staff was very nice and we would definitely stay there again!!

5  Thank DTJB
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I have to say, we are a little partial to the Hotel Vista Del Mar. 22 years ago, we got married in front of the fish tank in the lobby, overlooking beautiful Avalon Harbor.

We have been back many times, and have never been disappointed. This stay was no different. The rooms are decorated with a "Tommy Bahama" feel. They have a fireplace in every room.

There was one change since we stayed here last. They added a mini bar into the fridge. All the prices were clearly provided on the menu. Fortunately no one had a snack attack during our stay. There was still room in the back of the fridge to put our leftovers from dinner or a few sodas. I have to admit, the prices were reasonable, and even cheaper than the vending machine at the other hotel we stayed at.

This hotel only has two ocean view rooms and they are almost always booked, we have never had the opportunity to stay in one. The Courtyard & Courtyard Deluxe rooms are very nice, the deluxe are quite roomy. We loved the decor of these rooms so much, we transformed our Master Suite in our home to remind us of our honeymoon suite.

Room Tip: Book early, HVDM is almost always sold out.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisainec
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Our family had a very pleasant experience at this hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Ocean View Suite was a perfect choice for us, though can be a bit noisy between the hours of 9-11 p.m. on weekends (karaoke a couple of doors down). However, we weren't that bothered by the noise once inside the room, and our 18 month-old son was able to fall asleep with no problems. We are looking forward to going back to Avalon, and we will no doubt be staying here again.

Room Tip: Best view=Ocean View Suite, some street noise
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family