Hotel Vista Del Mar
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Avalon
See available hotels
The Edgewater(Avalon)
Pavilion Hotel(Avalon)
Catalina Island Inn(Avalon)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscookies and milkcourtyard deluxe roomavalon suitecontinental breakfastwet barcatalina islandsteve's steakhousemini bartwo flights of stairsperfect locationoverlooking the beachthe open air lobbyfabulous hotelthird floorrooms are beautifulno elevatorgreen pier
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Hotel is in a great location in the heart of Avalon and steps away from the beach and nearby restaurants and tourist things to do. Price was a bit steep given the lack of amenities--no gym, pool, jacuzzi or fancy ambiance. View of the harbor from the garden-like lobby is great though. We liked the homey touch of milk and cookies at night. Continental breakfast was sparse and could have used some yogurt, peanut butter or some source of protein. Walls and towels were both a bit thin.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mickeyjr
Reviewed 30 March 2010

i would like to give a complement to miss erika, i stayed there with some friends last summer mid august, and had a BLAST!! erika was VERY professional and was very attenitive to our needs! she was also very informative and knew alot about the island, she suggested a few good resturants to us as well as differant tours we could go on! WE THROUGHLY ENJOYED ALL OF WHAT SHE RECOMMENED! on top of the great service the rooms were beautiful and the courtyard/lobby is breathtaking! i would definatly RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone who travels to catalina! not only for the great service of the manager but the beautiful location as well!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2thebeach09
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I was reviewing your site for a family member of mine that has never been to Avalon. I was shocked to see the negativity and "discrimination" comment made by a previous customer. I travel ALOT!!! I delt with a very attractive young woman that stated she was the manager when we checked in. She was friendly and very professional. I actually was surprised when she said she was from New York. The hotel was beautiful, very well located and accomadated us with all of our needs. We were returning guests from last summer and would not think of staying anywhere else. I must say...its a SHAME that people feel they need to use the "discrimination" card.......Dont we have that enough in our world. Get a grip and enjoy yourself.
Thank you Vista Del Mar.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This is a little jewel of a hotel in a terrific location on the island. We were able to just wheel our suitcase right to the hotel with ease because it was so close. It was right across the street from the pier and the beach, even though it was too cool for us to take advantage of it. We took advantage of a package deal on the website which included the boat trip there, the room, and a local tour choice. Even though everything is pricey on Catalina, that package made things a little more reasonable for us. The room was fantastic, very beautifully decorated and furnished and we loved the fireplace. The rooms all emptied into a hallway which was lovely, again beautifully decorated and very tropical looking. Main negative: One must go up two flights of stairs to get to the hotel portion of the building and lug your luggage up with you. But this mild inconvenience would not stop me from staying there again. There was an offering of fresh, delicious, cookies in the evening and some breakfast buffet in the morning. The staff was friendly and cheerful and helpful. TIPS about the island in general: expensive, had some local small restaurants that were good for breakfast or lunch. In the off season there is no trolleys around town. We rented a golfcart for four, but it was $40 an hour for first two hours and the third hour is free. That was enough time for us to go all over Avalon and the hills around it. Beaches = very limited, even though it was too cool. Fantastic tour we went on as part of the package was an undersea tour in a partially submersible boat; much more complete viewing than a glass-bottomed boat, but we got a price cut because it was the off-season. It was a unique experience. TIP: try to get the ferry ride as part of a hotel package because it in itself is over $60 per person. Final opinion: I'm happy we went to the island to experience it and its history, but probably would not go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

To Everyone & the Owner/Management of this hotel,

I'd like to piggyback on that last review "Extremely horroble experience at this hotel.." given by my friend about our stay (mar 7-9 2010) at your hotel. Like she said we were given a very rude and uninterested response to being stuck on the island for an extra day, by this hotel's manager Erika shaw. Which was especially frustrating, being that the hotel setup our travel accomodations (with Catalina Express); making them our main liason for the boat company.. Which is why we have no idea why the hotel wouldn't notify it's guests of boat cancellations as soon as they were aware! We also wonder why one couple would be offered a very affordable rate to stay and extra night and another wouldn't?? Especially when they clearly had a ton of vacancies! I'm under the definite impression that not only did this hotel's manager display no sense of customer service but she used discriminatory measures to offer out different rates to different couples. And we have proof, and yes the two couples were of different races and ages.. So how do you explain that? NO GOOD!! I'd like more than an apology VISTA Del MAR! DO BETTER!! I'm going to tell all my friends and tripadvisor associates to avoid this hotel until we are given a Real apology and rectification for our inconveniences! I've mailed a letter to your PO box and I'm waiting for a response owner/management! Please DO BETTER and Be Fair and accomodating to EVERYONE!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yazoocity24
IslanderAvalon, Owner at Hotel Vista Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2010

Thank you for your comments. I will try to clarify a few facts. First, we love all our guests and try to accommodate them any way we can. We also notify all our guests when transportation to and from the island may be interrupted. In you letter to me you state the Chamber of Commerce notified all guests at 2AM that the boats were not running. . Unfortunately they are only open 8-5 so at 2AM there was not anyone there. We also only know when the boats absolutely don't run when it passes the time of departure. This is when the Catalina Express confirms to us. We offered ALL guests the same rates and opportunity which was 40% off our rate, which resulted in a luxury room rate of $85.00. We were asked by you to "price match" another hotel at $59.00 which unfortunately we could not match. This is not "discriminatory" it is just a fact. Our rooms have a fireplace, wet bar, down comforters, complimentary breakfast and many other luxury amenities all located on the oceanfront. We do our best to satisfy all our guests. I apologize that the 40% discount we offered for an additional night did not meet your expectations. You have to understand that the Catalina Express not running due to weather was not our fault. This discount was as generous as we could be since we were sold out. We try very hard to exceed all guests expectations. I'm am glad to see in your previous blog that you did have a "pleasant two day stay".