“Cannot wait to return!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Vista Del Mar
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I sent my Mom on a trip to Catalina and having stayed at this hotel before we knew she would be well taken care of! They treated her like royalty!! I cannot say enough great things about this hotel! You will always feel like a VIP with these folks! My husband and I cannot wait to go back ourselves! Thank you so much to Donna and the wonderful staff for making my Mom feel so special!!! Your the best!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I spent a fun weekend at Hotel Vista Del Mar. The rooms were great, the staff very friendly, and the location was PERFECT. Across the street from the beach, next to some great dining options, and a short walk to the zip line.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This was our 6th stay at Vista Del Mar for the fall Jazz Festival.We always feel welcomed by the friendly staff.The location is perfect if you don't want noise at night.The hotel is located in the "walk only" zone so no street noise. The balcony is perfect to look at the harbor, enjoy coffee in the morning and and wine in the evening and how about freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and milk at night.The rooms are something you would see in Hawaii . We are sold in Vista Del Mar and have never stayed anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2010

One could not be closer to the beach and center of Avalon, yet, once you step in the hotel it is so quiet and relaxing. The hallway overflowing with plants and flowers is beautiful, so much so that each room feels like its own little cottage.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, we were travelling with our 3months old baby and on several occasion they offered to help us carry up or down the stroller and/or luggages.
The room were very clean, as the rest of the property, and the amenities were great be it the cheap mini-bar, the complimentary breakfast in the morning, cookies in the evening, free dvd and blue ray rentals and extensive list of free magazines (perfect to read through at breakfast).

I have just a couple of nitpicks: the night staff could not explain to us how to activate Close Captioning on the DVD (there's only one remote for the TV+Dish+BlueRay player, we could activate CC on the Dish but that's it) and the air conditioning in the room was pretty loud.
Nothing that would prevent us from warmly recommending this hotel tough!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I booked this hotel for our 10-year wedding anniversary based on the many positive reviews for this hotel. I'm glad I did, as it was terrific! A real oasis in the middle of chaos.
Avalon has a lot of bars and restaurants so I was quite concerned with hearing the noise of the street from our room. Nothing to worry about as it was absolutely quiet. I couldn't believe that it could be that quiet with the hotel in the middel of town. Speaking of which, what a great location! It's a short walk from the boats that bring you to the island, so you don't have to get an expensive cab. You are so close to everything in town and the restaurant downstairs (Steve's Steakhouse) was excellent. It was also very nice to walk straight out of the hotel and onto the beach. You didn't have to pack half your things to go to the beach or use public restrooms.
Regarding the hotel itself, the courtyard hallway to the rooms was a pleasant surprise, as it was quite lovely, with flowers and a skylight roof. The rooms are very clean with a lot of amenities and nicely decorated. The prices for the snacks and drinks in the mini bar were incredibly realistic and reasonable, which is unheard of.
The staff was very attentive and helpful and their customer service was excellent. Someone would have to be very difficult to please to find something to complain about at this hotel.
For those who whined about the stairs, get over it; it's two flights. The hotel mentions the stairs when booking the reservation and asks you if you're okay with it. How could someone accept the conditions over the phone and then complain about it later?
I highly recommend this hotel and we'll stay there again on our next visit.
One last note, have the swordfish at Armstrong's; by far the best you'll ever have!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I was expecting to stay at a nice and clean hotel while I was having a romantic anniversary with my significant other; and was thoroughly excited after reading all the reviews on this hotel...well....they were sooooo misleading!!!!! First I could not believe how many stairs I had to walk up to get to my room!!!! No elevator!!!! Hauling up suitcases was not fun (and there is no one to help assist you with the luggage; so don't get me started on the lack of customer service at the hotel). The rooms look great on the pictures...once again disappointed. When i have driven cross country and stayed at motels, my rooms has been much spacier than this room. The staff....geez...i don't think that I have anything good to say about them. Seemed like they could care less of what I thought...which is probably true since they were only there for the summer doing their internships and were never going to see us or be at the hotel ever again.
Everyone mentions on how great the location is...here's a tip, Avalon is not a big town by any means, any hotel and I mean any hotel is a great location! And there is better locations and rates else where. Honestly I walked into other hotels to see what they offered and rate and I was paying 40-80 dollars more!!! And like on review on here said it was for the cookies and milk!!!! Next time I'm brining my own cookies and milk and selling them to the people staying at the Vista del Mar for 20 bucks a night just to show them how foolish they are for staying there!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MovieLover28
IslanderAvalon, Owner at Hotel Vista Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2010

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate all input positive or negative as it helps us be a better hotel. I would like to clarify a couple items just so those in the future that read your comments are clear. We are located on the third level overlooking the bay with two flights of stairs without an elevator. We tell this to everyone when they are making a reservation in case this is a problem. We do have someone available to help with luggage if needed.
We are sorry to hear you did not experience the value of our rooms offer and you are correct there are less expensive accommodations available. If you feel you do not need the amenities and quality of a five star property located on the beach front overlooking Avalon Bay such as large flat screen TV with hundreds of DirecTV HD channels including Showtime and HBO, BluRay player with free lending library of DVD’s, free high speed internet access, fireplace, wet bar, down comforters with 300 thread count sheets, complimentary beach chairs and towels for the beach, free cribs for babies if needed, large buffet breakfast each morning served in our flower filled atrium courtyard and yes, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies each evening then other hotel options are available.

Our full time year round staff makes every effort to assure every guest has the best stay possible including our summer “interns” from some of the finest hotel management colleges in the world. We are sorry your experience was not all you had hoped for we do hope you enjoyed your visit to Catalina Island because it is truly a magical place.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel is located in the heart of Avalon harbor and is close to everything. The staff is very friendly. Accommodations include everything you need for the beach, stocked fridge, cookies and milk at bedtime, blueray players w/ free dvd rentals, and just about anything else you can think of. The hotel has open balconies overlooking the beachfront. It is located in the heart of everything fun to do in Catalina. Only warning is that it is up 3 flights of stairs with no elevators...so it is not handicap accessible. My husband and I stay at this hotel every year. We love it...give it a try!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple