“A hidden gem!”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Santa Barbara, California
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We went to Avalon in January 2012 for a wedding. I found this hotel online, and choose it because it had gotten good reviews and the price was right. We stayed one night in the hotel. It's a restored Victorian, and has retained much of the charm. In our building there were three floors (no elevator, I don't think...not a problem for us, but maybe for some.) The room included a fridge, flat screen TV, wall heater that worked well, and an ocean view. Each floor had an outdoor balcony to sit and relax, as well as a general living room type area downstairs near the front desk. Coffee and (fresh, from a local bakery) donuts included. The staff could not have been friendlier. Check out time was 10 AM, but they let us keep our luggage in a locked locker downstairs for an additional 6 hours since our ferry didn't leave until late in the day. Easy walking distance to the casino (where we attended a wedding) and all shops and restaurants. Good quality room for a good price...we'd go back in a heartbeat. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kge97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2011

This hotel was very clean, nice bathroom with large soaking tub/jacuzzi jets.The bed was comfortable,coffee in the room, staff very friendly and helpful with anything you ask for,ice available a short distance away.
They provided guests with coupons to various restaurants.I had breakfast at Jack's and found it delicious!
This hotel is near everything and although there was no computer available for customers to use, the staff allowed guests to use theirs.

Room Tip: Book a room in the renovated garden area!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Swingdancers123
Venice, CA
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Normally the rooms in Catalina are over priced and of marginal quality. But when we walked in the room at Hotel Catalina, boy were we impressed! Apparently there has been some remodeling done and the place looks amazing! Huge tub, comfortable new king bed, an updated modern bathroom. The room was decent sized and we really felt like we were getting our money's worth!

Room Tip: Ask Martha to put you in 503! It's the best room in the place!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank venicekel
Cathedral City
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Just spent three nights at the Hotel Catalina. As reported by other reviews, there is a somewhat funky smell. Though do have to say that Catalina smells in general. It was moist so there is an element of mold. The room we had, albeit small, was delightful. a great old claw foot bathtub, tastefully decorated, clean. The staff was very nice, welcoming, helpful, and attentive. Coffee and donuts every morning, though get there early for a donut. A great view from the balcony, and the balcony had chairs and tables so you could sit out and enjoy your time there. It is just a very short walk to the main street. If we ever go back to Catalina, we will stay there and request the same room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TeriandCynthia
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We wanted a last minute get away. Most of the Catalina hotels were booked and just very high priced. We found this hotel on the Catalina Express website and got the package that included the boat ride over for two midweek nights for two for $408.00. This was cheap compared to other places. This hotel is like a bed and breakfast place. The room was tiny with a queen bed and tiny bathroom and shower but it was really nicely decorated and comfortable. There is a refrigerator in the room and flat screen TV. They had coffee, tea and doughnuts in the lobby in the morning. They have a microwave that you can use as well as BBQ outside that you can use. They have a bunch of chairs outside to relax and look out at the ocean. They have an outdoor whirlpool and lounge chairs outside. After you checkout they let you use a locker for your luggage so that you can enjoy the rest of your day before taking the boat home.

The hotel does not pick you up at the boat dock so you will need to walk with your luggage or take a taxi. It is a bit of a walk so I would recommend luggage with wheels. The hotel is on a bit of a hill so just be prepared for that. There is no elevator, so you will need to carry your luggage up stairs. We would stay there again.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jkkm0606
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hotel Catalina is located right off Whitley Ave near the center of town, closer to the Casino end. For the middle of peak season, it was a decent place to stay over for the night at a reasonable price. It was also the only hotel I could find on the island that would allow a one night stay and did not require the standard 2-night minimum. It is an older style house but was clean and well kept - nothing fancy - but we enjoyed our stay. They also conveniently have locked stalls in the back where you can keep your bags all day either before check in and/or after you check out which was VERY handy. All in all, a good find for Catalina!

Room Tip: First floor is the noisiest in the morning..
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gdrennen
KrisGLBC, General Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
As of January 2012 we are pleased to announce that the Hotel Catalina is now under New Management. Come visit & experience our New European style Courtyard Garden Wing.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The bad reviews made me tentative. The good ones gave me hope. I just wanted a place to rest my head after playing on the island all day. I wanted clean, safe, inexpensive, easy and comfortable. And that's exactly what I got at Hotel Catalina!

It's a cozy, old-fashioned well-kept hotel and the experience there was entirely positive. The staff was friendly and helpful--even after I'd checked out. When I told them I was checking out early because I was going hiking, the girl at the front desk told me about the lockers I could use (free of charge) so I didn't have to carry everything while hiking. They even had a shower I could use (for $3) after I returned from my hike!

I would go there again. I would tell everybody to go there. This is the first hotel review I've ever written and I'm doing it because it was just what I wanted!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo