“Wedding Weekend at Hotel Catalina”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Catalina

Hotel Catalina
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Manhattan Beach
“Wedding Weekend at Hotel Catalina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We had our wedding in Catalina on May 19th. We soldout both wings of Hotel Catalina for the weekend. Martha (the General Manager) and the Owners Jack & Nora were amazing to us. They went above and beyond in helping to make our weekend perfect. They provided us their Penthouse Owners Suite for all of our wedding activities. All of our guests were amazed with how special that suite is.

Everything was absolutely perfect. They've done an extensive Re-Model to the Courtyard Wings. Tthe rooms are amazing with Jet Hot Tubs and a Separate Shower from the Tub. All rooms have Flat Screen TVs and Blu-ray Players. Everything is inside the rooms of the Courtyard is brand new.

Martha was accomodating and helpful for all of our guests request. We had over 60 guests in the hotel and they all we're happy.

The main hotel is one of the original hotels on the island. The rooms are small and have some unqiue characteristics. However, they are kept clean with comfortable beds. The best part is they are affordable and one of the few hotels to allow One Night Stays.

I would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Recommend the Courtyward Rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank videobuilder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I booked 4 days at the Hotel Catalina over the Memorial Day Weekend with my girlfriend who had just recently graduated from Nursing School, so i wanted this to be a very special weekend. Well i called the hotel and spoke to a real live person by the name of Martha who was a very plesant person to speak to. I told her this was to be a surprise for my newly RN and she asurred me that i had nothing to worry about. To calm me down she had me call a day before arrival and speak to a Nancy or Hilda. Again, I was assured of a pleasant stay. Well to my surprise i was greeted at the boat dock with a ride to the hotel (hmmm~ off to a good start ). The hotel was obviously mantained with alot of love and care...The room was spacious and well lit and for the price it's Catalina's best well kept secret. The 4 days turned into 5.... I love Catalina and i loved the whole Hotel Catalina experience...Thank you Martha, Nancy and Hilda. We love you all !!!!!!

4 Thank dean d
Ohio, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

This hotel is very accomodating to their guests, we checked in before noon, spent only one night, :( but going back next yr. Hotel decorated very victorian, clean and made me feel like a princess ... more like a bed and breakfast, they also ck'd our baggage for the day, while we shopped on the island and we went back to get luggage before boarding the express ferry. Hotel is just a short walk from the dock and this will give you time to scope out the shops, restaurants, activities while walking ... Enjoy ! (no elevator at hotel)

Room Tip: Choose the third floor, you get a good view of the ocean from up there, no elevator ...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank hcashy
Huntington Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recently stayed at this great little Hotel on Catalina Island. Pros, Service was very friendly and accommodating, we were allowed to check in very early, as our room had been made ready for us. The room was clean and had modern amenities such as a flat screen TV, but was still Victorian in feel and decor, which, brings me to the point of, if you are looking for a big modern roomy hotel room, this place is not for you. In the late 18 and early 1900's, they weren't all about big and roomy!! As with all locals on Catalina Island, you are never very far from Restaurants, shops and activities! The hotel is a fair hike from the dock where the boats drop off, so if you have a lot of luggage or aren't much for walking a lot, then you might want to use a cab (there are plenty waiting when you exit the boat!). I have no negative comments about this hotel, it was quiet, the staff were friendly and helpful and the accommodations were clean and comfortable!! Just be aware of the "type" of hotel this is (Historic and old world) and that it is a little bit of a hike from the dock (We did fine with two bags, but we were only staying one night), otherwise, I highly recommend it! Have fun, you will love Catalina Island!!

3 Thank Seabee1966
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Excellent location one block off main street. Rooms were very nice and clean. The hotel staff especially front desk were beyond helpful and accomodating. I would highly recomend this location.

Room Tip: Away from the front is quiter
4 Thank omadave64
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

It was our wedding anniversary and my Husband brought me to Catalina Island for our visit and we've decided to stay at Hotel Catalina. Martha had helped my Husband with the planning of the trip and I am very, very pleased with our stay. The staff is wonderful and friendly and Martha is exceptional! My Husband and I appreciate the hospitality and I was also VERY happy with our room! They had a nice jetted tub and such a beautiful room-it was a perfect little get away stay. We try to make it a trip to Catalina once a year and I got to enjoy it this time around for my anniversary and also stay at a great hotel. We loved it very much. Thank you Martha & your staff...we will visit again!

C.M.
San Diego, CA

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CMarqz47
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The hotel old, but it looks like some new additions have been made to the old rooms. The furniture, frig., tv, bed, and bedding all look new. The carpet? Not too sure. Looks like it, but never know. I guess if you're not expecting anything fancy, this is the place. I'm glad the bed & bedding was new! Just some fall backs: the bathroom is very, very small; the shower lacks a light (a bit dark); the bathroom is also slippery when you get out, so make sure to put a towel on the ground; the walls seemed to be paited over molded, but again, not too sure; and not phones in the rooms to call the front desk or anyone for that matter.

Also, the 1st night we stayed in a mountain view room & the 2nd night in a standard room. There really isn't a difference in the rooms, only that you get a mountain view, which with all honesty, isn't much of a view. Besides, you're there to expore the island and not stay in the hotel. The mountain view also had an acutal closet w/a closet door. The standard room had a built-in, open closet, only thing, the hangers hit the wall, so it's leaning against the wall as opposed to hanging. The standard room also had a heater built in the wall, which is great because it seemed to be a bit more chilly when we entered.

One more thing to mention, the hotel does not have an elevator, so prepare to lug all your luggages if you get a top floor room, which I'm guess has the best views if you're to pay for it.

Room Tip: Between the mountain view room & the standard room, just save some money & get the standard...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KYM123
KrisGLBC, General Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
As of January 2012 we are pleased to announce that the Hotel Catalina is now under New Management. Come visit & experience our New European style Courtyard Garden Wing.