“QUAINT AND NICE!”
Review of Hotel Catalina

Hotel Catalina
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Although I've lived in L.A. all my life, was my very first visit to Catalina Island! The Hotel Catalina was clean, quaint and very quiet. The close proximity to shopping and other attractions, as well as nice garden fireplace made my stay even better. The only down side was the unfriendly receptionist who checked me in when I arrived on 4/23 around 5:15 p.m. Otherwise the stay was pleasant and comfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank irtorres
There are newer reviews for Hotel Catalina

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here for my birthday and had a wonderful time. They give 50% off of your trip on the Catalina Exspress. Hotel was very charming and quite. diffantly will come back with my family. the price was pretty reasonable too.

Room Tip: stayed near the jaquzzi on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank peachesncream25
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a nice little hotel, inexpensive, and centrally located. The people are very accommodating and the in town restaurant and attraction "deals" they offer are also a nice little extra. Breakfast could be better, but you can't have everything for this price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan K
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Very friendly staff. Small room due to the buildings age and the shower was tiny. Vintage lighting has been well maintained. Cost for hotel room was average for Avalon. We expected as indicated on their website, baked goods and coffee in the morning. Went down to lobby and was surprised to find a few donuts and no decaf coffee. Needless to say we went off looking for a breakfast place. The outdoor patio was clean and landscape well done. The plastic deer decor near the hot tub was a little odd. The palm tree outside of our room's window was beautiful. But not sure if I would stay there again with so many other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank palhe
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First off, please take into consideration this building and adjacent courtyard are very old buildings. I believe the main hotel is 100 years old. They have done a great job at rehabbing. We stayed in the garden courtyard. We had a ground floor unit which boasts a 55 inch flat screen tv; new Euro style furnishings, and a huge bathroom with and even bigger jacuzzi tub - which comfortably fit 2 persons. We were a 2 minute walk to the beach. There was a nice fire pit in the the courtyard. These were the perks - which were very nice.

However, again, please note because this building is rather old . . . there are no elevators. This was not a problem since we were on the ground level but we still had to go up some steps to get to the lobby. The Garden lobby was only open during business hours. If you needed something after 5pm you needed to walk around the corner to the main lobby which closes at 8pm. Again, this is not a complaint - just fair warning. The only issues I encountered were the following: 1. The top sheet was old while the fitted sheet was nice and crisp along with the pillow cases. I sent my husband to the lobby to ask for a sheet change (old building = no phones in rooms) - Upon our return I found they merely re-made the bed; 2. When they did make up our room the following day, they removed all towels left on the floor but they forgot to replace them with new ones. This would have been a huge problem but fortunately we returned to our room before 8pm, thus the lobby was open. 3. Walls are thin so we could hear everyone in the courtyard. Fortunately, this was a family vacation so noise level didn't bother us. I'm a a mom; 4. The continental breakfast described in the brochure and online boasts pastries, coffee, and juice. What we found was donuts and watered down juice. 5. Please note the rooms are air conditioned but not climate controlled so no matter the temp it was a little humid.

It was not a bad hotel . . . you just have to remember it is an old hotel. It served its purpose and the location was great. So if you are a "go with it" kind of person looking for a quick get away . . . I would recommend this hotel. It's not a 5 star but it's no Motel 6 either.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms in courtyard wing have in room jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank missmargoann
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I took a post holiday break and spent the night in Catalina. We got a room in the Courtroom Garden Wing and couldn't have been happier. We had a very comfortable King size bed, about a 55" flat screen TV with DVD player, beautiful bathroom with glass shower, Jacuzzi tub and cool stonework. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is near everything. Golf cart rentals one block away, Supermarket about a block and a half and a funky little video store about 2 blocks away. It is close to Blue Water Grill (One of our favorite Restaurants) and Steve's Steakhouse! This was a great value for the price!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 502.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank toond
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed here from October 18-20. The value for what we paid is extraordinary, and it is mainly due to their exemplary customer service. Ignacio was the manager when we stayed and helped us book our ferry reservation. We also had to call him several times before we left to change our reservation because of some delays on our end. He was nothing but helpful and courteous. During our stay, Ignacio helped us with our bags to our room and he and his staff (born and raised Catalinans) gave us great tips on where to eat, what to do, etc... All very polite and the recommendations were terrific. Lastly, I had left my keys in their room accidentally and again, Ignacio came through and dropped them off at the ferry office for me so they could be sent over on the next boat. This was all done with the friendliest of attitudes, smiles, and warmth that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. I HIGHLY endorse this hotel for the fair price and superb customer service and will be coming back here!!!

Thank you Hotel Catalina, Ignacio, and staff for a fun filled weekend!

• Stayed: October 2013