“Certainly Not a Bad Choice”
Review of Hotel Catalina

Hotel Catalina
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for a three night long weekend in May. My first advice is beware of the walk from the ferry if you have a lot of luggage. It's a good walk, with quite a little hill at the end. Our room was pretty small, but comfortable and we were lucky to have a nice view of the harbor from the third floor. The thing about this property that you have to know is, it's old. Not necessarily in a bad way, but some features, like the carpet are just a bit, well, tired. And it smells a little old, like your grandma's house. There appears to be an effort to keep things maintained, some things are a little behind. It's not in the middle of town, but it's within easy walking distance of everything. I did appreciate a few nice gestures, like really good coffee and donuts in the lobby in the morning and cold water available all day. The staff were friendly and helpful if we approached them. In short it's a place in which I would absolutely stay again if I we go to Avalon, but not the kind of hotel that would drawn me back to Avalon.

Room Tip: Third floor with a view
5  Thank Arland V

Reviewed 29 May 2014

great little place, smells a bit cuz of the new paint, overall ok for $85/night,+ close to vons..
higher floor has good view but costs more. bedsheets are old school..no telephone..has a lil pool......

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Decided to visit Catalina Island with some friends over Memorial Day. this hotel was offered through one of the packages. It is a 100 year old building. Very clean but showing some wear. Guest rooms are very small and bathrooms will remind you of being on a cruise ship. Pluses were views of the harbor from our room and the lovely porches on each level. Coffee each morning was great and front desk staff overall were friendly and helpful. Location is perfect for exploring the main part of Avalon.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
1  Thank 859cherylj
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Catalina for my In-Laws 50th Wedding Anniversary. Check in was fast and easy. Our room was clean & comfortable. Unfortunately my husbands favorite shirt was forgotten in the room. I have called the hotel several times and no one answers. When I leave a message, the call does not get returned. I have also emailed to no avail!! We plan on returning to Catalina Island for a longer stay but will DEFINATELY NOT stay at the Hotel Catalina!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Regina H
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I liked this hotel; rooms were clean and hotel service was also good but it was too far from the shore. We needed to get buggy for it but then we walked from hotel to the shore restaurants for dinner and lunch. I love this island it is one of the beautiful and quite islands in california. I would really recommend this hotel because all you do on this island is trekking; snorkeling and all so it doesn't really matters whether the hotel is good or not. But rooms were clean and livable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PoojaSingh889
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Although I've lived in L.A. all my life, was my very first visit to Catalina Island! The Hotel Catalina was clean, quaint and very quiet. The close proximity to shopping and other attractions, as well as nice garden fireplace made my stay even better. The only down side was the unfriendly receptionist who checked me in when I arrived on 4/23 around 5:15 p.m. Otherwise the stay was pleasant and comfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank irtorres
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here for my birthday and had a wonderful time. They give 50% off of your trip on the Catalina Exspress. Hotel was very charming and quite. diffantly will come back with my family. the price was pretty reasonable too.

Room Tip: stayed near the jaquzzi on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends