Message from TripAdvisor:

“Hamilton Cove 10-79”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avalon
Hamilton Cove Villas
San Diego, California
“Hamilton Cove 10-79”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This villa was incredible in terms of location, location, location. The bldg has an elevator. The first night we saw dolphins, seals and leopard sharks from our balcony! Amenities at Hamilton Cove were fantastic. Playground for the kids, quiet, snorkeling, dock to fish, pool/spa, workout room, crochet, golf cart, etc. Lots of fun! Great for fams.

Now the bad...Like most of the reviews, we too were disappointed with the cleanliness. Actually, it was bad. To sum it up, they need to hire a new housekeeping crew. The day we left, I looked under the bed to make sure I didn't forget a pair of socks, and I found (to my horror) dead bugs, wrappers, food, and just junk underneath it. Housekeeping hadn't vacummed underneath the bed in probably ages. The kitchen and main living areas were nice. The carpet and bathrooms needed a deep cleaning. One of the extra linens stunk and had yellow spots. I was scared to use it on anyone. I would have assumed that at the beginning of the season, they would have done a thorough cleaning and then the lazy housekeeping crews could just do a cursory wipe down btwn turnovers.

The sofa pullout was disgusting and inoperable. The aero bed was cool but had a leak. They brought us an air mattress when we called the next day, so that was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DeeNC619
CIVR, Manager at Hamilton Cove Villas, responded to this review, 30 April 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review this villa. Catalina Island Vacation Rentals proudly manages this beautiful oceanfront villa.

First, housekeeping has been notified about your feedback. Also, since your stay, this villa has been nicely refreshed! It has brand new carpeting, a new living room set and sofa bed with gel mattress, two electric wall mounted Japanese fireplaces, and much more. We'd love to welcome you back to this villa during your next trip to Catalina.

Best,
CIVR Management

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Arcadia, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This two bedroom two bath penthouse is located in a great area which is oceanfront. I've stayed at several other units and this is by far one of the best locations. It's well-stocked in the kitchen and has all the amenities you will need. I was only disappointed about the cleanliness from housekeeping. Golf carts old but works. You'll definitely enjoy it!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank S T
Arizona
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We just returned from our second visit to Catalina Island and Hamilton Cove. This trip we stayed for five nights in unit number 2-42, a one bedroom, one bath condo with no in unit laundry facility. Overall we had a pleasant stay, the condo was clean and the furnishings were in (mostly) good repair. The kitchen appliances are very dated, probably the original ones fron the early eightys. The dishwashed worked fine, the microwave does not have a turntable, the refrigerator looks newer than the rest of the kitchen. White carpet most everywhere and a dozen or more signs telling you to remove your shoes while you are in the condo.
The balcony is a nice size with great views and comfortable seating. No TV in the main living room, but there is a small one in the sitting room and a larger one in the bedroom (you probably won't be watching a lot of TV, the views are too nice).
The golf car will hold four people, but it is very old and doesn't run very well. We were only comfortable taking it to town and back, no extra exploring this time!
Also, no cell phone service in Hamilton Cove, so plan accordingly. There is a land line phone in the condo and you can pay for wireless internet service if needed.
All in all, a nice place to stay if you are just wanting to get away from it all and relax.

Room Tip: Pictures of most of the rentable condos are on line at Hamilton Cove real estate.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AZToolman
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 May 2013

we travelled to catalina island this past october, 2012. we made it a point to go there each year and stay at the hamilton cove villa. this past october we decided to try 2-34. this last trip was would be our last trip out there. we had a terrible experience with our unit. when we arrived that evening and were ready to use the grill, we found the grill to be filthy. we called for someone to come and clean it. a man came out to clean it. but i don't know what he did, because it still looked dirty. the carpets looked like they had never been vacuumed. the worst part was when we pulled out the sofa bed for the kids, it stunk so bad and the sheets dirt on them and had stains as if they were never cleaned. iit smelled so nasty. we called several times, finally they bought us clean linens. but, the problem was that we had to get the stinky linens off ourselves. the housekeeping staff was too lazy o replace them and clean the mattress. even with the clean linens, the stinky sofa bed was not appropriate for the kids. the smell was too strong. that night, we had to have 3 persons sleep on each queen bed. it was so upsetting after paying so much for such lousy service and horrible unit. i have read other reviews where the manager denny upgraded them because their unit was not in great condition. denny never once offered us such an upgrade. instead, we had to have our kids sleep on a inflatable bed they finally provided. the day that we decided to take a short nap in the afternoon, the maintenance staff decides to paint the handrails right by our unit. the fumes were so strong we could not enjoy our nap. alma, the lady who answered the phone was the not nicest person to talk to . she didnot seem to care about our situation. i wish denny the manager would have moved us out of that unit into something suitable for me and my family. it was the worst vacation ever. the time we enoyed the most was at the pool or the playground. we avoided our unit as much as we could. it was such an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank sam268
Bridgman, Michigan
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Hamilton Cove 2-49 is a nice place, no stairs provides easy access to the condo. The balcony is private, but small - no lounge chairs. Two bed, two bath, with TV's in each room. The condo is on the smaller size, but not tiny. For anyone who has a hard time walking should be cautioned about the couple of steps down from the kitchen and guest bedroom to the living room. It wasn't a problem during our visit, but I did often worry that my mother may fall down the stairs. The golf cart was ok, it's old..but it works. The beds are great!!! Rented from Catalina Island Vacation Rental- what an excellent group of people, I give their service 5 stars!

Room Tip: Highly recommend using Catalina Island Vacation Rentals - service is top notch.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PracticingTourist
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This review is super late, but, I'm getting things ready for our stay this year and could not go on without reviewing our stay last year.

First off, as always and likely as long as we are going to the island, and I don't foresee us stopping anytime soon (God willing), we rented from Catalina Island Vacation Rentals. And why not, the staff is friendly, the check in/out process is super quick and easy! Let's face it, a delayed check in can really put a damper on a trip (though not for long here because it's too beautiful to dwell on it). No one travels for hundreds of miles to have to sign papers, or try to find something to do while trying to remain cool, calm and collected because you were just told you can't go up to your room because it's not ready. Or simply because your'e 30 minutes too early to check in. So, if you plan to start your vacation as soon as you get there, use Catalina Vacation Rentals! Now please don't go trying to check in to your room 5 hours early because I said that. I'm just trying to make the point that the folks at CIVR get it, that is, that their customers are important and are there to vacation, thus they make reasonable efforts to accommodate their customers needs. Especially repeat customers.

Now, for the villa. I admit it's a little pricy, but I also admit that IT'S WORTH IT! I work hard during the day and go to school at night and I want to RELAX with the comforts of home (fully equipped kitchen/in room laundry/big screen tvs in living and bedrooms/audio systems/modern appliances etc.) While I'm relaxing with the comforts of home I also want a BEAUTIFUL setting. Hamilton Cove gives us both and 319 gives it best, in our view! Speaking of view, the view alone makes it worth the price.

There is an unobstructed view in every room, yes, including the bathroom! If the ocean is therapeutic for you, like it is for us, then sit back on the couch on the private balcony of this villa and get your healing on because there is plenty of ocean to see! Not all of the villas have private balconies but I believe most if not all, do have some sort of balcony/patio with a view of the ocean.

Last year as I was planning, I thought perhaps I would at least look at some of the other villas offered to see if we'd like to try a different one. There are many really nice villas and I think no matter which one you decide to rent you will be happy. It's Catalina Island! But do pay attention to details, such as the number of stairs to get to the door, private/shared balcony, etc. Oh by the way, we have stayed in a few of the hotels on the island (outside of the villas) as well. There are some nice ones, some old quaint ones, and some down right shameful ones! Back to my attempt to check out other villas. It didn't take me long to realize, we had a very good thing going in villa 319! It's become like our second home. From the dishes to the bedding, to the modern conviences, to the DROP DEAD GORGEOUS VIEWS, there is no reason to move!

If I would say anything that was less than perfect it was that the golf cart seemed to need a tune-up. They usually do work a little to get up the hills but last year this one seemed to be working a little harder. I did report it upon leaving and I fully expect that CIVR has communicated with the owners and it won't be a problem this year. It really wasn't a problem last year. It was simply an observation. The cart got us everywhere we needed to go. Another perk of staying at the Cove. Every villa comes with a cart.

Avalon is a romantic little island and having a golf cart to travel around in, not only makes it easier to get from spot to spot but it's fun! There are plenty of nice restaurants and new ones seem to have opened every year for the last several years. There's shopping, tours and just plain old people and ocean watching as I call it.

Overall, If you want a little more of a plush (though it's not super fancy or anything) stay, including the grounds (golf course), a little more seclusion (private beach), and an included golf cart, Hamilton Cove is the place and CIVR is who you want to rent from. I do have a friend who rented from another company and when she and her significant other arrived early, yep, you guessed it, they had to hang around WITH their luggage while waiting for their room to be ready.

When we checked out last year it was really close to boarding time, so I simply left my key with the cab driver and went on my merry way. No stress, no problem!

Can't wait to get back this year!

msbrwnn

Room Tip: pay attention to the details to get what you need. don't be afraid of the stairs. often there...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank msbrwnn
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We shared a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom condo with 2 other couples. The view was amazing and the accommodations were excellent! My only regret was all of the stairs. There are no elevators and it was approximately 70 stair steps to our condo. Just keep that in mind. Some condos have entrances straight from the road, but the vast majority do not.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends