“Great fun, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lobster Trap

The Lobster Trap
Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Great fun, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Back in Catalina and it's fantastic that The Trap is still superb. Great buzz and excellent kitchen. What to have?? Try the monkey balls and fries!!! Or the Lobster Burger! If it's Wednesday then the 10 dollar burger and pint offer is really good. The only warning I would give is watch out for Caleb trying to give you free shots of jäger!!!
At the weekend I intend to have some oysters for starters and then a lobster. Yum!!! If in Avalon don't pass the door!!!!

• Visited May 2014

Fernley, Nevada
“Lobster Salad in Avalon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I knew from studying my Tripadvisor reviews that The Lobster Trap was a local favorite on Catalina Island, so when we made port at Avalon during our cruise out of Long Beach, we stopped there for lunch. Nobody in our party of four was disappointed. The Trap has a local, 'Island Bar' feel, with nice waitresses, great music and a talented bartender. The staff attire is local funky and colorful, with a few 'tats and dreads' mixed in, but nobody treated us tourists with judgement or disdain (my least favorite phenomenon when I travel). The seating was multi-level, and nicely arranged. We started with a Bloody, even though we hadn't read anything about them in the reviews, and were nicely surprised...Great Bloodys, man! We ordered some appetizers and clam chowders, which were very thoughtfully presented. Raves for the chowder! Variously, our party ordered ceviche, seared-ahi salad, fish and chips, etc., which were all great, but my lobster salad stole the show. At about $19 bucks, it was huge and loaded with fresh lobster, a great Louie dressing, and it was just outstanding. I'm always skeptical when I ask for lobster on the west coast. It's usually spiney-shell, from Australia or California, and it never quite measures up to Maine lobster, but the Trap served the real deal, and it was one of my favorite lobster dishes of all time. You'll love this place.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Bob R
Encinitas, California
“FANTASTIC CLAM CHOWDER!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm from New England and am super picky about my Clam Chowder and this is the best chowder I've ever had outside of New England. Absolutely, hands down. We were in Avalon for four days and I went back for 4 bowls of chowder because I couldn't get enough of it. Thank you, Lobster Trap!!!! However, the other items our party tried weren't so hot, so I recommend you stay with the Clam Chowder as it's fantastic.

Visited May 2014
Moorpark, California
“Love the Calamari Breaded Sandwich!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a nice restaurant not far from where the Catalina Express Ferry landed. We were able to get seats relatively quickly on a Saturday lunch. We didn't wander far from the ferry, since we were all hungry.

My companions had each a kabob dish and I heard they were good. I have a penchant from breaded calamari sandwich and I'm glad I did. It was great! I believe it was a $10 sandwich. The dishes range from approx $10 to $20. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed their food and we were glad we ate here.

Ambiance is good. Good family or fun place to eat.

• Visited May 2014
Suisun City, California
“50th birthday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Macadamia encrusted fresh local halibut, clam chowder, and grilled halibut were all enjoyed by the six of us. Good service, no wait (on a Thursday at 7). Locals abound. Great vibe Sit in the boat!

Visited May 2014