“Poor service”
Review of Avalon Grille

Reserve with OpenTable
Avalon Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Price range: US$16 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Catalina Avenue
Description: Avalon's waterfront dining, located at the foot of the Green Pleasure Pier, is open seven days a week for lunch (Fri-Sun) and dinner with a lively, central bar and open air dining. The Avalon Grille features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. The Avalon Grille boasts a fabulous menu including Miso Cured Bass, Lavender Roast Chicken and our famous Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were half way through our starters when the waiter brought out our main meal which we were clearly not ready for. The place was practically empty so I'm not sure why they felt the need to rush us on. At this point we told them we would like to have a pause between courses- so not to bring the mains straight away (in most restaurants they wouldn't have started cooking the main until they had collected the finished starter plates.)

After a break the waiter brought us the main courses which it became very clear was the same plate of food he had tried to serve us 20 minutes earlier. My meat was very dry because it had been hanging around under a hot plate for a while. I pointed this out to the waiter who took it away to get me a fresh meal- but didn't do the same for my husband which meant he had finished his meal when I received mine. So we basically watched one another eat rather than enjoying the meal together.

Very disappointing. They made no attempt to apologise (I would have expected them to offer a free drink or something to apologise for their bad service.) I wouldn't return. The food was just ok- nothing special and the service was poor.

1  Thank HeatherandSimon
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting about your recent experience at the Avalon Grille. We appreciate your feedback as we use this to improve upon the quality of your experience in the future. Please email us at social@scico.com .

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stopped in at happy hour. The decor is lovely and upscale.
They had very good drinks at reduced price for happy hour. Food was not reduced in price. But, the food was unique and delicious.
My husband was very excited to order the braised octopus. I wasn't keen to try it, but thought I should be daring. I tasted, indeed it was fantastic.

I had an assortment of cheeses that came out with honey comb, and a peach concoction that was divine.

Hubby had IPA beer and I had a cosmopolitan. They made the cosmo just right, fresh lime juice not bottled. Drinks were very reasonably priced. Especially for the quality.

We never got a chance to have dinner here but we will next time around. I love that their menu has grass fed beef.

CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for joining us for Happy Hour at the Avalon Grille. The staff and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your cocktails and and cheese. Please come back and see us again next time you are on Catalina Island.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This review is strictly for happy hour as we did not dine at Avalon Grille. We visited this place for some pre-dinner cocktails and we were highly impressed with the prices. We enjoyed strong pour Jack & Coke and large glasses of quality Cabernet Sauvignon for $5. I ended with a good strong margarita on the rocks, also $5. The bar snacks were not too impressive; I saw stuffed olives and marcona almonds on the menu and two flatbreads but we weren't interested in food. There are a lot of happy hour deals along the beachfront strip there and we have tried a number of them. We prefer this spot for higher quality, generous pour liquor at a good price. Other spots offer great deals too but only for cheap quality well drinks and often a stingy barely there taste.

If you are looking for more traditional barfood fare along with your happy hour beverages then probably look elsewhere.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

ok here is the thing. When you have New York City Prices, over $40. for a ribeye steak, and a $99. drink, you would expect the place to go way above and beyond. This place really really did not even deserve 2 stars but our wait staff was very nice, and really tried to make up for the lacking in the restaurant. She was great so the stars go to her. The food was mediocre at best...we eat out a lot and have eaten food all over the country and world so have been lucky to have good food and also can enjoy low food..but a rip off is a rip off. We sat a very nicely laid out table with all the extras....bread plates and bread knives..when we ordered, the first thing wrong was they were out of mashed potatoes...come on...how hard it is to make mashed potatoes....then they were out of the short ribs..ok there was a cruise ship in town that day..so maybe there was a run on mashed potatoes and short ribs. We found other items and then asked when were they serving the bread....there were bread plates and butter knives at our places...oh yeah they ran out of bread!!!!! of course there is one grocery on the island and at least one bakery....but no bread here!!!! so why put out bread plates and butter knives!!!Waitress said no bread all week...when we asked to speak with the manager she came over, no apology just to tell us the barge or plane was delayed and they did not get their bread...then send someone out to the market and get some,,,and maybe a couple of potatoes too. No offer for a free drink or anything..This manager is going to ruin this restaurant if anyone even cares...The waitress saved the day..she tried anyway. She was very apologetic and offered us two free desserts. They were over cooked.....dry, burnt chocolate is yuck...but she did try to make it up to us.

Do me a favor save your money for a real restaurant and go to the Lobster Trap and have a good fun meal without the pretense of the Avalon Grill!!!!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had the family with two kids and had a super meal, while enjoying the harbor. Order the Fish & Chips or Crab & Shrimp salad. Fantastic!

CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting about your recent meal with your family at the Avalon Grille. We appreciate the feedback that you provided on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our fish and chips. We hope to see you and your family again soon on Catalina Island.