“Worth the money”

Cape Canyon Expedition
Ranked #12 of 42 Outdoor Activities in Avalon
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Santa Catalina Island’s “outback” in a comfortable, open air, H1 Hummer powered by biofuel. With spectacular views, wild habitats and educational displays, this is truly a unique tour.This tour ventures through scenic Middle Ranch Canyon and explores Cape Canyon in the heart of Catalina's interior. You’ll see the Middle Ranch habitats of the American Bald Eagle and Catalina Island Fox. Then it’s off to the scenic Little Harbor overlook on the windward side of the island for spectacular views. You'll travel to the Airport in the Sky, 1600 feet above sea level where you will enjoy a complimentary lunch and visit the Conservancy Nature Center’s educational displays.
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Myself,my wife and 9 year old daughter took this tour and Charles was our driver.It's must be nice to have a employee such as him who loves his job and is such a wealth of knowledge.He was very informative and very helpful for the whole tour.He gave all of us a cold bottle of water just before the tour and we ended up wrapped up in fleece blankets as we ended the tour.The airport stop was nice with the freshly baked cookies.We saw two bisons and a bald and golden eagle also.I would recommend this tour for all ages.He handles the Humvee like a Pro.Thank you :)

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a great time on the tour with our driver Charles. He was so knowledgeable about the island and we learned so many things, it was definitely educational as well as a beautiful ride.
My kids are 9 and 7 and grumbled at the thought that they would be bored on a 4 hr jeep ride around the island. They both enjoyed it immensely and couldn't stop talking about how cool it was and all the neat things they saw. My oldest even said that she had something "so awesome" to share with her class when school goes back in session.
There is one stop at the airport with facilities and another stop at a beach with porta potties. Just a FYI if you do go with young ones.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I took the Cape Canyone Expedition with Bear and found to have a memorable ride. It was a cold and foggy morning, which resulted in riding the hummer as a burrito. It also did not help that it started to rain, but Bear was very endearing to the passengers (including myself) to keep our hearts warm with a delightful humour, depsite the horrible weather. Overall, if it wasn't for Bear, this tour would have made my visit to Avalon, Santa Catalina an awful one, so props to Bear for a fantastic trip.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Four hours in a Hummer is a lot easier than hiking the same trails for a couple of days. Our guide, Bear, made the whole tour fun, exciting and informative. He is very knowledgable about every little detail of the route. Be prepared for a bumpy, dusty ride! Everyone got a bottle of water, & we made a lunch stop at the Airport in the Sky. Bring a camera with zoom to capture all the flora & fauna.

1  Thank William R
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I've been to Catalina many times, but I never really "new" the island until I took this tour! Bear knows very nook and cranny of the island, as well as all the amazing stories to go along with it. He made it a true "don't miss" experience. Don't do as I did for many years before and question whether its worth the money and the four hours--just go!!! Thanks Bear!