“Absolutely perfect!!!”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Elko, Nevada
“Absolutely perfect!!!”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband, our daughter and I went to Catalina Is. last April 12-14, 2011 as our yearly getaway. I picked Hotel VP because of their great value package and secondly, because of the good reviews it has here in TripAdvisor. We arrived at the island at 11am which is still early for our check in time, but Hotel VP allows us to store our luggages in a small partition in ther office. So we did and while waiting for our room we went out to grab some lunch. Afterwards, we came back like around 1:30pm and the nice receptionist guy told us that our room is ready. he let us check in 30mins early of their check in time which is good so we can wash up. By the way, they also let you use their wash room inside the office if you need to. We are happy of what we saw inside our room, which is by the courtyard. It was very clean and NO foul smell! The space is enough for 3-4 people which is a plus for us. Good amenities like coffee maker, small refrigerator, hair dryer, flat iron and board, a lot of towels, etc. Oh and a flat screen TV. We had a good and well rested night sleep. We woke up to their continental breakfast such as coffee, orange juice, hot chocolate and a variety of pastries. It is a good breakfast to start your day at the island. We also enjoyed the scenery from their sun deck located just above the office. We loved the location of this hotel because it is like in the center of everything in the island. So I am so glad that I picked the right one that my family would be comfortable and relaxed. I definitely would recommend this hotel. It is truly a great value because our package includes the round trip from Long Beach by Catalina Express and also a taxi to and from the hotel. An additional bonus is that we can leave our luggages after 11am check out time until we go back to the mainland, so we can still do our last minute shopping or do more fun activities in the island before we leave.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ems0406

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly and they were very attentive to everything I needed. Customer service was superb. I like to hike so I got an unexpected surprise when the staff whipped out a map of a nice trail. I liked it so much I hiked it twice during my 2 day stay. (Hour trail).If your hiking anywhere else you need to check in at the Conservancy on Clarissa St. for a free permit and maps Beautiful views!! Catalina was great. I even went to the Pavilion (historic casino) to watch a movie in the evenin.) The internet is a little weak in the room but it didn't matter because Catalina was so beautiful I didn't spend any time on the computer (don't know why I brought it in the first place). Remember: most hotels here charge per person rates (like cruise ships) instead of a flat rate per room. So ask first!! Once you get a good hotel rate the hotel can book the boat transportation for you. The boat rates rarely are discounted. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Monday-Thursday deals are the best. rates
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
So. California
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We go to Catalina and Avalon about every 3 years and love the slower pace and beautiful island scenery. This is the second time we've stayed at Villa Portofino and it's the best. Rooms are comfortable and clean and right on the main street across from the ocean. The roof top deck is a great place to relax and see the harbor sights. This time we took our ten year old grandson with us for 3 days and had a great time.

Room Tip: Lower rated mid week and before Spring break.
1 Thank JandRSo_California
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We picked this hotel after searching for a while...found packages including the ferry. We got a room toward the back on the second level which was great. I guess space is limited on the island because the door to the room was of the sliding door type. We had a king room but it was small. There wasn't much room to walk around. The coffee maker & fridge were placed in the closet. The bathroom had shower only. Overall it was quiet even there were quite a few guests staying. The complimentary breakfast included orange juice, coffee/tea, scones, danishes, muffins, & green apples. We stayed there for 2 days and had the same thing for 2 days. The breakfast items were placed on the counter in the small office. You could take it back to your room to eat or sit outside. There is a roof top patio where you can enjoy the view of the water right across but it is opened from 10 am to 10 pm. Overall, we had a good time and slept well. The housekeeping service was quick. One morning we left around 9:30 for a walk and came back before noon and the room was already very clean and tidy. Good job!!

1 Thank hotelbum
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We were looking for something different to do with some family from the Midwest. Saw an ad in the paper about a package deal Sunday thru Thursday for $92 a night, including boat fare from Long Beach. The hotel is oceanfront, only 34 rooms in a mostly courtyard setting, which means no view, except for the suites. There is a rooftop deck with a great view of the harbor, however, as well as an area in front of the hotel & resturant to sit and enjoy your morning coffee & breakfast. Good sized rooms, comfortable beds, close to everything. The only downside to staying midweek is that a few of the shops and resturants either open late, or not at all. The upside is that there are no crowds!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
lees summit mo
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My husband and I loved our trip to Catalina Island and our beautiful room at the Hotel Portifino. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean, and as the weather was a little chilly, the fireplace in our room made for a romantic evening. We enjoyed a delicious meal at the hotel restaurant. Shopping and relaxing on the rooftop lounge made for a wonderful getaway. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were already planning our next (longer) trip before we ever left!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Hubby and I traveled Super Bowl weekend on a fantastic off-season special to this lovely little hotel in Avalon. We have never been to Catalina Island, so this was a first for both of us. We loved this charming hotel - it was adorable! The staff was very accommodating, and the location was superb. We only stayed for one night but our next trip will definitely be longer! When we booked they asked if we were celebrating anything special to which I replied we were celebrating our birthdays (both of us were born in Feb.) They sent a complimentary bottle of wine to the room! (It was pretty good too!)

Pros:
Location, location, location! Fabulous waterfront location!
Sundeck was fantastic - the views were picture perfect.
Room was nicely furnished, but extremely small.
Complimentary bottle of wine for our birthdays was a nice touch.
The potted greenery, fountain and patio furniture was charming.
Staff was welcoming and friendly. The included continental breakfast was not due to be available until 7:30 am, but the staff had it out a bit early and allowed us to grab a couple of items before we headed back to the mainland on the early ferry.

Cons:
The room was tiny. I mean miniature. We opted NOT to upgrade the room as it was only a one night stay, but next time we will definitely get a larger room. There was barely enough room for the queen size bed and two tiny nightstands. Really. And the bed was kind of creaky and old, the mattress definitely needs to be replaced. It reminded me of the mattress we just threw away after 15 years of use. Yes, the one we slept on was probably that old. BUT it was clean, I know because I checked. We were so tired from walking all over Avalon we were able to sleep anyway.
This room only had a shower stall and the shower head was very low. I am only about 5 feet 6, and I kept hitting my head on it. Hubby groused about it as well.
To be fair, the pictures on their website are exactly accurate, and as I mentioned, for one night the size was just fine but it would have been less enjoyable on a multi-night stay.

Neutral:
Sliding glass patio doors instead of real doors was a bit unusual. Although they had plantation shutter sliding doors for privacy and light control I still felt a bit exposed. The charm and location more than made up for the unusual arrangement.

Overall, we really enjoyed the stay and the price could not be beat. We are already planning our return next year.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple