“Another wonderful stay.”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Second time staying here and the staff is just as friendly and attentive as they were the first time. Easy walking distance to the beach club and casino. Well, it is Catalina, so it is within easy walking distance of everything yet it is a bit out of the fray of the pier area. Comfortable rooms. They had a nice gift waiting in our rooms for us thanking us as repeat customers. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 June 2011

We upgraded our queen room to the Portafino Room overlooking the street. This room was spacious and had double doors which opened looking out over the turnaround area on Front St. We spent many hours admiring the view and people watching from our room. The staff was friendly and professional. The Continental breakfast wasn't great, just orange juice, rolls, muffins and apples. At the price of the room I would have expected a higher grade of toiletries but since we brought our own it wasn't an issue. They have a large upper deck available to all guests for relaxing, sunbathing and smoking. Beach towels and sand chairs are also available for guest use. Since this hotel is right on the turnaround it can be very noisy in the front rooms. Overall, we loved our stay and will be back again.

Room Tip: The best views are from the suites
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Location is great. I came to the island for some fresh air. Could not enjoy the courtyard or roof top due to the smokers. Any suggestions for non smoking hotels in Avalon?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank marymartha8
HotelVillaPortofino, General Manager at Portofino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

9/22/11 UPDATE:
Hotel Villa Portofino is becoming a non-smoking property. With this new policy, the Hotel Villa Portofino is to intently follow our guest’s demands and provide them with everything they need for their maximum convenience and exceptional comfort. Following numerous requests of our guests, we have taken this initiative to implement a 100% non-smoking policy in our property.
Our goal is to keep healthy and fresh atmosphere at Hotel Villa Portofino and protect the health of our guests and employees.

Hotel Villa Portofino - Management

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We planned a trip to the west coast and I had been to Catalina Island in 1979 and knew it was somewhere I wanted to see again. I found a package online that allowed us to take a helicopter over to the island and then our return trip was by ferry. We had originally only booked one night but loved being there so much we asked the hotel if we could stay an additional night and luckily they were not booked and we were able to do that. EVERYWHERE you would want to stay is expensive, so it is not fair to compare the size or quality of the room to somewhere else, but I was very happy with what we had. Also, the rooftop deck gave a wonderful, relaxing view of the harbor.
There are several places in town to choose from, but the location of Villa Portofino is just perfect. It is directly across the street from the ocean (nothing is oceanfront there ) and near the casino. Most things in town are within walking distance and most vehicles are golf carts which makes this island so charming.
Our room was a regular king and it was small, but so are most places on the island. The interior courtyard of this hotel is quite pretty and everything seemed to be very clean and well kept. The front desk personnel were always nice and polite and the continental breakfast was pretty much your stand fare. The hotel did offer free drinking water in the lobby with fruit slices which was a really nice touch. We ate one meal at the Italian restaurant located next door and it was a good meal.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel without hesitation and on my next trip back to Catalina, which hopefully will be within the next few years, I plan to stay at Hotel Villa Portofino again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purpleones
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 20th anniversary. My husband surprised me with trip and made all the arrangements. He said this was one of the cheapest hotels that wasn't a dump. He was expecting way more than what we got. I'd say the room was an average size room for a hotel along the lines of doubletree, maybe smaller even. It had a queen bed, two nightstands, a small dresser, a vanity, tiny closet, dinky table, and dining room sized chair. The bathroom had a small shower stall, toilet, and sink. It was plenty big enough for us, we were just expecting more. We stayed in room 209 and even though it was in a dark corner it was quiet. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very courteous. They even let us store our luggage there until our ferry took us back. Oh, and the breakfast was pretty ordinary. But they advertise it as continental so don't expect much more. There was some fruit, orange juice, muffins, croissants, yummy cranberry scones, coffee, hot cocoa, and tea bags. I still can't believe it was $250 for a Friday and Saturday night, and that was a bargain.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank jennizona1
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband, our daughter and I went to Catalina Is. last April 12-14, 2011 as our yearly getaway. I picked Hotel VP because of their great value package and secondly, because of the good reviews it has here in TripAdvisor. We arrived at the island at 11am which is still early for our check in time, but Hotel VP allows us to store our luggages in a small partition in ther office. So we did and while waiting for our room we went out to grab some lunch. Afterwards, we came back like around 1:30pm and the nice receptionist guy told us that our room is ready. he let us check in 30mins early of their check in time which is good so we can wash up. By the way, they also let you use their wash room inside the office if you need to. We are happy of what we saw inside our room, which is by the courtyard. It was very clean and NO foul smell! The space is enough for 3-4 people which is a plus for us. Good amenities like coffee maker, small refrigerator, hair dryer, flat iron and board, a lot of towels, etc. Oh and a flat screen TV. We had a good and well rested night sleep. We woke up to their continental breakfast such as coffee, orange juice, hot chocolate and a variety of pastries. It is a good breakfast to start your day at the island. We also enjoyed the scenery from their sun deck located just above the office. We loved the location of this hotel because it is like in the center of everything in the island. So I am so glad that I picked the right one that my family would be comfortable and relaxed. I definitely would recommend this hotel. It is truly a great value because our package includes the round trip from Long Beach by Catalina Express and also a taxi to and from the hotel. An additional bonus is that we can leave our luggages after 11am check out time until we go back to the mainland, so we can still do our last minute shopping or do more fun activities in the island before we leave.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ems0406
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly and they were very attentive to everything I needed. Customer service was superb. I like to hike so I got an unexpected surprise when the staff whipped out a map of a nice trail. I liked it so much I hiked it twice during my 2 day stay. (Hour trail).If your hiking anywhere else you need to check in at the Conservancy on Clarissa St. for a free permit and maps Beautiful views!! Catalina was great. I even went to the Pavilion (historic casino) to watch a movie in the evenin.) The internet is a little weak in the room but it didn't matter because Catalina was so beautiful I didn't spend any time on the computer (don't know why I brought it in the first place). Remember: most hotels here charge per person rates (like cruise ships) instead of a flat rate per room. So ask first!! Once you get a good hotel rate the hotel can book the boat transportation for you. The boat rates rarely are discounted. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Monday-Thursday deals are the best. rates
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo