“Perfect...what a pleasant surprise!”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Northport, New York
“Perfect...what a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I traveled for a two week cruise up the California coast with my husband (50) and two girls ages 11 & 14. We knew where we were staying the first 2 nights and last 4 nights. Everything in between we were winging it. We knew we wanted to spend a day at Catalina island. We loved the island and had so much fun that we didn't want to leave. We rented a golf cart that most people toured the island in and stopped at portafino for dinner. They were to open in a half hour when I noticed how charming the hotel was. My fourteen year old said"do we have anyplace to stay tonight mom? Could we ask if there's a room and could we stay here? Please mom...could we." well out of the mouths of babes... I said well I'd love to but we have tickets for the ferry tonight and don't have a lot of our belongings. I said well I'll ask but I'm sure this place is booked. The man at the desk was very kind, simply looked at his computer and said he only had one room left with a pullout queen bed. When I told him about the tickets he thought I should go to the ferry counter first and inquire. He held the room for us. It was a five dollar fee per ticket to change our reservations back. So we did it. When we checked in after we finished exploring the island I could not be more pleased. The room was beautifully furnished! It had a old time Italian yet romantic flair in it's
decore the pullout sofa was quite comfy all ready prepared when pulled out! When closed provided a lovely sitting area with. Plasma tv. The room and marble bath was extremely clean. I felt like a princess and I have traveled a lot and been to very fine hotels. Outside the room was a small area with some bistro tables.in the sunshine yet totally private. We had a small sunken in patio as well on the other side with bistro table and chairs that overlooked the finished roof complete with lounge chairs,tables and chairs that overlook the ocean! Not only that...but a continental breakfast of fresh muffins and delicious scones and coffee &juice were included to take back to our room. Now, I am not sure what the regular price is during peek season. I also don't know why this man gave us a reduced rate of 179 for the night with the prettiest room he had. There is a picture of it on his brochure. I'm not sure if the planets aligned or if he was in a give g mood or if I was followed by an angel our whole trip. Whatever the case I will return to the portofino sorrento room on catalina island for sure. Oh, and did I mention they hold your bags thenext day if your staying for a while and will give you beach chairs and towels and use of the rest room? Five stars!,,

Room Tip: The sorrento room was beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Simplify513

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Leucadia, California
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We loved our stay at Villa Portofino. It has a wonderful rooftop deck with umbrella and wonderful sea views and breezes. Everything was clean and organized and the staff was efficient and unobtrusive. We will be back for certain!

3 Thank ponygirl9805
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The photos on the website do not do justice to this beautiful hotel. We were in the Portifino room which has a spectacular view of the waterfront and is very comfortably furnished. The restaurant is also great!!!! We highly recommend the Villa Portofino to all.

1 Thank anttete
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Very comfortable room. Great service from the staff; they truly made us feel at home. Great observation deck with view of Avalon harbour. Good complimentary breakfast and fantastic coffee. Would have liked more variety of fruit. It is nice that they provide a tray to take food to your room, tables in the courtyard, or the sun/observation deck.

Park City, Utah
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Second time staying here and the staff is just as friendly and attentive as they were the first time. Easy walking distance to the beach club and casino. Well, it is Catalina, so it is within easy walking distance of everything yet it is a bit out of the fray of the pier area. Comfortable rooms. They had a nice gift waiting in our rooms for us thanking us as repeat customers. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We upgraded our queen room to the Portafino Room overlooking the street. This room was spacious and had double doors which opened looking out over the turnaround area on Front St. We spent many hours admiring the view and people watching from our room. The staff was friendly and professional. The Continental breakfast wasn't great, just orange juice, rolls, muffins and apples. At the price of the room I would have expected a higher grade of toiletries but since we brought our own it wasn't an issue. They have a large upper deck available to all guests for relaxing, sunbathing and smoking. Beach towels and sand chairs are also available for guest use. Since this hotel is right on the turnaround it can be very noisy in the front rooms. Overall, we loved our stay and will be back again.

Room Tip: The best views are from the suites
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Location is great. I came to the island for some fresh air. Could not enjoy the courtyard or roof top due to the smokers. Any suggestions for non smoking hotels in Avalon?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank marymartha8
HotelVillaPortofino, General Manager at Portofino Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
9/22/11 UPDATE:
Hotel Villa Portofino is becoming a non-smoking property. With this new policy, the Hotel Villa Portofino is to intently follow our guest’s demands and provide them with everything they need for their maximum convenience and exceptional comfort. Following numerous requests of our guests, we have taken this initiative to implement a 100% non-smoking policy in our property.
Our goal is to keep healthy and fresh atmosphere at Hotel Villa Portofino and protect the health of our guests and employees.

Hotel Villa Portofino - Management