“Excellent location, staff and price!!”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Houston, Texas
“Excellent location, staff and price!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was our first time to travel to Catalina Island. Nine of us went for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. This hotel was in the perfect location (walking distance to everything), had a nice patio dining for the complimentary cont.breakfast, very friendly staff and fairly priced. We loved that are rooms were located very close together. The view of the water was fantastic. The staff was extremely friendly.....I was desperate for a safety pin and they even helped me out with that! We will be back.....this was one of the best trips our family has ever taken together and Hotel Villa Portofino made that possible!

Room Tip: We really liked the rooms down on first level: quick in/out when getting stuff out of rooms. My par...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angels
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The location, the staff, the overall experience at the Hotel Villa Portofino can not be beat. In fact, my wife and I are already looking forward to next summers stay. Book a room at this hotel anytime during the warm months and expect to have a wonderful time in Avalon. This hotel has a sun deck that is perfect for sharing a nice bottle of wine and watch the sun set across the marina. When the shadow covers the pier we know its time to finisch that last glass and head for dinner. For fun in the sun there is nothing like Descanso Beach, and we recommend the newest dinning experience at the Blue Water (try the Salty Caramel martini). At the Potofino Luis is very courteous and very helpful with your day and nightime planning.

Room Tip: There are two rooms that are not suites, but have windows overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay here! Great room (BelleVista) and great service. Would highly recommend it. Convenient to downtown Shops and Dining. The service was wonderful. The hotel had a nice continental breakfast, beach towels, beach chairs and always had great recommendations.

Room Tip: Belle Vista had a wonderful wrap around balcony with harbor view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanya B
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Hotel Villa Portofino is a quaint and pleasant seaside hotel. The hotel is located in the heart of town but away from the crowds. The room we stayed in was a little small but very clean and comfortable. The hotel has a nice sundeck which offers a great place to relax with a glass of wine or to simply enjoy the sun and people watch. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My girlfriend and I only stayed for one night. The staff allowed us to still use the hotel beach towels, chairs and to store our luggage even after we checked out until our boat departed later in the day. I thought this hotel was priced in line with the other hotels on the island, especially given the busy summer season. I would definitely recommend the Hotel Villa Portofino and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I love Hotel Villa Portofino! It's location is great! My room was wonderful with the most spectacular view of the water! The bed was super comfy and the room was so nice and clean! The bathroom was very clean and the water in the shower and faucets were all working perfectly. I really recommend this hotel! The staff was so kind and so helpful. Thank you to Zula, Luis, Grace for making our family vacation stay so nice! We look forward to staying at the Villa Portofino again. This hotel offered juice, coffee, pastries and fruit each morning.There is a beautiful sun deck with lounging chairs and tables offering the most spectacular view!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 4 August 2013

While there is much to like about this hotel, given the cost, I would make a different decision. The very good is the location and friendliness of the staff. The hotel is at the far end of the main street, quiet and away from all of the bar crowds. The staff was incredibly welcoming. Complimentary continental breakfast is provided. My room was clean and well maintained, though small. I took the least expensive option, a first floor room with a queen bed. Unfortunately, the location of my room was quiet noisy - near the hotel entrance. Other reviewers have suggested staying on an upper level, which I would agree with but that increases the cost. In the addition, the walls are pretty thin and I was able to clear head the televison and conversation in the neighboring rooms. I also also heard footsteps from the room above me.

At the price point I paid, about $210 per night plus tax, there are nicer options.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on first floor and near the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Malibu, California
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel is located right on the beach. It is lovely- has a mediteranean feel. The staff were friendly, room were clean and we were lucky enough to get room 115- just steps to the beach. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 115- just steps from the street, office and no stairs- loved it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends