“what a mess”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 21 March 2011

After looking at all the good reviews I was compelled to write one. This place is horrible. Our room was dark, small,smelly, the window was broken, several fixtures in the bathroom were corroded, the carpet was dirty and I woke up with bug bites on my hand.

I asked to move my room but was told none were available as the manager had to take several out of service because they were in need of maintaince.

We had other family members traveling with us and their tv was broken and there was a big melted place on the carpet.

I stayed the night before at a much nicer hotel that cost much less. It served breakfast and was bug free. Need I say more...

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank happy_travler-007
stlaurenmanagement, Manager at Hotel St. Lauren, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

March 30th 2011

Dear Happy_Travler_007,

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your past visit here at the Hotel St. Lauren. I would like to personally apologize for our shortfalls, as it appears your recent stay was not up to your satisfaction with regards to a couple areas of the hotel.

I can certainly appreciate your frustration regarding the various occurrences during your stay. I assure you that it is my intention to look into each of these areas in more detail and follow-up with my fellow department heads. I have already followed up with the maintenance and housekeeping department to ensure that your comments are addressed and corrected immediately. In regards to moving rooms, unfortunatly the room type that was booked through the booking site did differ from the other individuals in your group. The room type that you had selected was not available on that given floor.

At the Hotel St. Lauren we pride ourselves on providing our guests with excellent guest services and the finest accommodations. We back our commitment to provide the best product and service that our hotel is known for. Occasionally we fall short of our own high standards and for this I do apologize.

As the General Manager, I want to apologize and assure you of the changes to improve our product and service. I will utilize your experience as a working tool to better improve ourselves. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you in the future. Again, thank you for your comments and thank you for staying at the Hotel St. Lauren we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Jacob Vanderwiel
Hotel St. Lauren

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Very helpful with suggestions for local services. Great balconies/view overlooking Avalon.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Although this hotel appears of late Victorian vintage it is one of the newer hotels in Avalon. The pluses are a quiet location and a nice view from the roof top terrace/patio. Our room was not large but it was quiet, clean and the bed comfortable. My main suggestion to management would be that they offer coffee earlier in the morning in the lobby. When we were there it wasn't available until 8:00 AM but it isn't far to a place to obtain your morning wakeup. Overall a good value in my opinion especially during the week when we found rates were much lower.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We checked in 10 minutes before 3 amazingly after all the reviews, there was no problem. 6th floor patio was overemphasized, "nice patio, nice patio." Really outdated wallpaper and comforter. Yucky dark pink floral which wasn't my taste. I had a room on the street side and as soon as the sun came up, the room heated up pretty warm in November and with the blinds/curtains closed, it didn't matter. Closet was pretty deep, but there wasn't a light in it. Bathroom was decent sized, almost as big as the room. Was glad to be away from the elevator and at the very end of the hall. Still had to wear earplugs from the early morning scooters and golf carts.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed here while in Avalon running a marathon. The reviews I read weren't all that great, but the price was OK, so I took it.

This place was really OK! The room was cozy but very well laid out, the bathroom was very clean w/ no shower problems (which seem to happen at sooo many places), plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The room was clean and the lighting was good. TV and alarm clock. Not sure what else you would really need?

The only negatives I can think of were that the TV was smallish (I didn't watch it anyway) and that the air was incredibly dry in the room. Not sure what they could do about that, though.

One thing that may be an issue with the Hotel St Lauren: they insist on charging your credit card immediately when you book the room. Having booked it a couple months out and seeing the charge immediately, I called them about this: the guy I talked to was insistent about their policy, implying that they have too many no-shows; he said that since they don't over-book, they lose the revenue when this happens. I told him that this isn't conventional and that I wasn't happy about it, but in the end I went with it. He said if you cancel within a week you get a full refund. He was sort of abrasive about it on the phone, so this drops my customer service rating.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank GBGB1
Reviewed 7 November 2010

In mid-October, my work friend and I went on my first visit to Catalina Island. We departed for Avalon via the Dana Point ferry. The boat ride over was a little more than an hour long. We arrived in Avalon at approximately 11am and headed off to find the Hotel St. Lauren.

The St. Lauren is a pretty, pink Victorian building that is about two healthy blocks UPHILL from the beach. While I, personally, do not mind a healthy hike… but I thought I would make that clear in case any other visitors had mobility issues.

When we got to the registration desk we were told we could not check in until 3pm… (no exceptions!) and yet the people on the same ferry as us seemed to be able to check into their rooms. We were directed to come back in a few hours. When we asked about what we were supposed to DO with our luggage during that time period… we were THEN told about the unlocked closet under the steps where we could stow our luggage. My friend and I took a deep breath and decided to trust the situation and then we went off to explore Avalon.

Back down at the beach, we found out that a lot of people waiting around the main drag (tiredly dragging their suitcases behind them) were waiting for their ferries to take them home after a spending their weekend at the Jazz Festival… The entertainment they described was top notch and I was sorry to have been ignorant of this festival!

Back to the hotel, when we were allowed to check in, we had a room on the 4th floor, street side. Our room had a nice view of the ocean. The room was of a good size and clean. The furniture and the decor were nice. The TV was a good size and the cable channel selections were good. Our room had an air conditioner, but we did not need it. Note, my bed’s mattress had a plastic liner covering it… do they have a problem with people peeing the bed? The plastic liner made you sweat! So I slept outside the covers most of the night.
* The bathroom was also a good size with good water pressure and water temperature. The hotel provided shampoo and soap and a good amount of towels.
* The sixth floor patio had a great view… the hotel serves coffee and tea every morning from 8 to 10am.
* There is a small Vons grocery store directly downhill from the hotel for you to pick up anything you may need.
* The staff was the staff. I wouldn’t say they were rude, but the were not friendly either… we were basically ignored as we came and went. The one disconcerting thing was one evening the front desk was not manned (just a sign with a phone number to call in case of an emergency) and the front door was unlocked, anyone off the street could have come into the unsecured building.
* The hotel was in a quiet location… you do hear the lawn-mower engine sound of the constant stream of golf carts buzzing by you on the street, but you get immune to that specific noise very quickly. The walls are on the thin side, but the only problem we had with noise from fellow guests was the guy next door having a midnight argument on his cell phone with some guy in Italy… a several good raps on the wall signaled his wife to calm him down… and that was that.

I guess my issue isn’t with the hotel as much as with that I didn’t realize Catalina is SO SMALL… small as in you keep seeing the same people over and over again EVERYWHERE you go! Upon my return I found out that Catalina (especially on non-summer months) is a place to honeymoon and go on a second honeymoon… not hang out with a work buddy. I am not a cheap person… but because this is an island, everything costs more! And everything you CAN do has a price on it!

Sooo, know this and come… Catalina Island is pretty and Avalon is a sweet, little village. I imagine the St. Lauren is a romantic get-away! Bring buck$$ and you will have a bla$t!
Here are some things to do… most of them look like a lot of fun! Caveat... prices are from my memory and approximate... please do your own pricing research!
* Nautilus Tour… a 45-minute underwater tour from aboard the semi-submersible. You can feed the fish yourself from your seat inside the vessel via a fish food feeding system … it costs about $40 per person.
* Glass Bottom Boat Tour… another 45 minute boat tour… they feed the fish so you can see them through the glass bottom of the boat. They have both daytime and nighttime tours… about $20 per person.
* Seasonal Seal ($20) and the nighttime Flying Fish ($25) Boat Tours.
* Inside the Casino Tour… This one’s draw eludes, me… the sign on the door said $40 p/p and the woman in the ticket booth said the tour was about an hour long and they tell you about the history of the casino and let you see the inside… the highlight is a pipe organ.
* Catalina Zip Line Eco Tour for about $100 you can ride the zip line that drops from 500 feet to 60 feet above sea level with one run that is 1,100 lineal feet long. People who took it LOVED it; they said you needed reservations far in advance.
* There are two kinds of scuba experiences where you don’t have to be certified, I believe they are seasonal, but you get to experience the kelp forests and garibaldi fish and other local sea life. I believe it was about $75 per hour or 90 minutes.
* There are the driving tours that get you beyond Avalon and into the interior of Santa Catalina Island. They price ranges from $45 for 2 hours, $112 for a 4-hour tour. You'll travel to the Airport-in-the-Sky and have the opportunity to look for bald eagles, bison, and mule deer on these scenic drives. The longer the tour, the farther you go and the more you see. We went on the shorter tour, due to bad weather and I found the tour interesting and informational. We also saw bison!
* The Ghost Tour is a walking tour of Avalon. The cost is $15 for this new tour. Compared to other ghost tours I have been on, this is a promising idea… but the staff needs to do research and go on other city’s ghost tours to improve their “performance”. My friend and I like the campy history imparted on these tours and our leader just needed a little practice to ‘hone’ her skills.

Would I visit the Hotel St. Lauren again? Yes, with my husband… I think it was a good deal for the area. The hotel was clean, the room comfortable and the view was good.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank NJoisygirl
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I just got back from my first visit to Catalina Island and had an amazing time. While I am used to staying in higher quality hotels with my family, this was a trip with my boyfriend, and we are broke college students so finding a hotel in Avalon for $114 was a dream come true! We arrived at 10 and although check in wasn't until 3 they let us leave our bags so we could go and explore! We got back to the hotel that afternoon, exhausted from our hike and took a nice hot shower. The hotel did provide shampoo and soap but no lotion or conditioner. Also no qtips or cotton balls. We went out to dinner and came back and watched a movie. During it, we noticed we could hear the water running in other rooms and some muffled conversations. Luckily I'm a deep sleeper so this didn't bother me but definitely a heads up if this is a concern. The bed was pretty comfortable and check out was a breeze. Overall, good experience, if you are looking for an affordable option this is the best choice!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple