This hotel was perfect for our first trip to Avalon, CA! We were a little nervous about it at first based on some reviews, as a long time user of trip advisor, I have come to realize that people whine and complain about the STUPIDEST stuff!!
Ok first of all, unless you are old, or have a hard time walking due to a medical problem - this hotel is a short walk from the docks. It's not across the street or anything, but we had no problem making the few block walk (I must add that we were only carrying duffel bags since we were only staying one night - if you have a lot of luggage, I would rent a golf cart or take a taxi.)
As far as the hotel goes - this is not the Four Seasons people... It's a small 42 room hotel. It almost reminds me of going to a grandmothers house for a weekend stay. The decor is floral and pink but it is quaint and comfy. I highly recommend booking a room with a balcony if it is available. We booked 2 balcony suites on Priceline for $133 each for the night on a Saturday. You have a view of the ocean, everything is in walking distance and let me tell you, relaxing on that balcony with a beer at the end of the night was wonderful! (We bought a case of beer at the liquor store down the block).
Here are the pros and cons -
-the people at the front desk were wonderful! Super friendly and it was a very speedy check- in and out - no problems whatsoever!
-We had a great view and our own private balcony
- The water pressure was great
-everything is close and within walking distance - and if you rented a golf cart, there is parking out front.
-There is a huge balcony on the top floor with tables if you didn't book a balcony room and you want to just go sit outside at the hotel with an awesome view. There is also a lovely little sitting room in the lobby area.
-It is a perfect hotel if you are just booking a place to sleep and relax in. It has all your basic amenities and it is small so you can't get lost or complain about long walks or wait times for the elevator!
-Something I enjoyed but others may hate, was that the air-conditioner was a little loud - but I am a light sleeper and usually need a fan or something on to make background noise and the a/c was perfect! It also helps to drown out the sound of the golf carts driving around. I read some complaints about them, but unless we were out on the balcony we didn't even notice when we were sleeping.
-It is a cozy little hotel. It's different, and it was fun to stay at a cute little hotel with its own special charm!
-The tv was old (but I don't think we even used it once except to have on for a bit before we went to bed - we were there to see the island, not the tv so it didn't matter a bit to us!!)
- It had an old outdated smell/ feel to it - but that is what we liked, it's what gave it that grandmas house cozy feel! (I only put this as a con since many people complain about stuff like that)
Bottom line this hotel was wonderful for what we used it for. If you are looking for lots of amenities or being right on the beach then this isn't your place - but if you are simply looking for a place to stay that's close to everything with a wonderful staff then book a room!! We would stay here again and I would recommend it to friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel St. Lauren L.L.C., in Avalon, California, is one of Catalina Islands' finest romantic hotels. The hotel features 42 luxurious guest rooms overlooking Avalon Bay, CA. Some accommodations include a private balcony or a Whirlpool tub and all rooms are decorated elegantly with rosewood furniture. The hotel serves complimentary coffee each morning.This Catalina Island hotel is close to swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, fishing and kayaking. Rent your own boat and explore Avalon bay or rent a rod and reel for ocean fishing right off the Green Pier. Our Avalon vacation packages feature lodging combined with boating, helicopter rides, or tours of Santa Catalina Island. Our specials page offers some great value discounts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel St. Lauren reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel St. Lauren Catalina Island/Avalon, CA