“Charming little hotel with a great location!”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Charming little hotel with a great location!”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel was perfect for our first trip to Avalon, CA! We were a little nervous about it at first based on some reviews, as a long time user of trip advisor, I have come to realize that people whine and complain about the STUPIDEST stuff!!

Ok first of all, unless you are old, or have a hard time walking due to a medical problem - this hotel is a short walk from the docks. It's not across the street or anything, but we had no problem making the few block walk (I must add that we were only carrying duffel bags since we were only staying one night - if you have a lot of luggage, I would rent a golf cart or take a taxi.)

As far as the hotel goes - this is not the Four Seasons people... It's a small 42 room hotel. It almost reminds me of going to a grandmothers house for a weekend stay. The decor is floral and pink but it is quaint and comfy. I highly recommend booking a room with a balcony if it is available. We booked 2 balcony suites on Priceline for $133 each for the night on a Saturday. You have a view of the ocean, everything is in walking distance and let me tell you, relaxing on that balcony with a beer at the end of the night was wonderful! (We bought a case of beer at the liquor store down the block).

Here are the pros and cons -
Pros:
-the people at the front desk were wonderful! Super friendly and it was a very speedy check- in and out - no problems whatsoever!
-We had a great view and our own private balcony
- The water pressure was great
-everything is close and within walking distance - and if you rented a golf cart, there is parking out front.
-There is a huge balcony on the top floor with tables if you didn't book a balcony room and you want to just go sit outside at the hotel with an awesome view. There is also a lovely little sitting room in the lobby area.
-It is a perfect hotel if you are just booking a place to sleep and relax in. It has all your basic amenities and it is small so you can't get lost or complain about long walks or wait times for the elevator!
-Something I enjoyed but others may hate, was that the air-conditioner was a little loud - but I am a light sleeper and usually need a fan or something on to make background noise and the a/c was perfect! It also helps to drown out the sound of the golf carts driving around. I read some complaints about them, but unless we were out on the balcony we didn't even notice when we were sleeping.
-It is a cozy little hotel. It's different, and it was fun to stay at a cute little hotel with its own special charm!

Cons:
-The tv was old (but I don't think we even used it once except to have on for a bit before we went to bed - we were there to see the island, not the tv so it didn't matter a bit to us!!)
- It had an old outdated smell/ feel to it - but that is what we liked, it's what gave it that grandmas house cozy feel! (I only put this as a con since many people complain about stuff like that)

Bottom line this hotel was wonderful for what we used it for. If you are looking for lots of amenities or being right on the beach then this isn't your place - but if you are simply looking for a place to stay that's close to everything with a wonderful staff then book a room!! We would stay here again and I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tiffery1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The staff was unfriendly, if not down right rude. Asked for an early check in and was told I could check in at 12 noon. Could not check in until 2:30. When the staff was asked questions about things to do in Catalina, they acted like they were doing me a favor by answering anything, which was not much. For the price paid, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. At close to $200/night you would think customer service would be a priority. The hotel is nothing spectacular either, even somewhat run down. Location is not the best, VERY noisy. You can definitely can get better for your money.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1suelu

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I spent three nights here. Hotel was great. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. We were on the 6th floor, but they have an elevator. There was also an outdoor patio on the sixth floor with tables and chairs and a fantastic view of the city and harbor. It was next to our room, but they close it at 9 pm, so we were not disturbed by others. Room was not large, but was clean and adequate and affordable.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank grizz9
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I would highly recommend Hotel Saint Lauren for visitors who want a nice quality, quiet, convenient place to stay. The Victorian building has lots of old-fashioned charms, but offers modern conveniences, such as A/C, hair dryers, TV, phone, etc. The bathroom was spacious and the closet was good sized. The room itself was on the smallish side, but I didn't spend any time there other than sleeping.
There is a wonderful patio on the 6th floor with an amazing view of Avalon Harbor. The hotel is about 2 blocks off the main street, which means it is close to the action when you want it, but quiet for sleeping at night. One of those two blocks is a bit of a hill, but I had no problem pushing my 45-pound suitcase up it. I walked to and from the ferry terminal, which was probably a distance of about 10 "normal" city blocks. The city's main grocery story is just one block away... perfect for grabbing a bottle of wine and some cheese for an evening happy hour on the 6th floor, or for getting pastries, fruit, etc. for a nice outdoor breakfast.
The front desk staff was helpful with restaurant and sightseeing suggestions, but I really didn't need them for much else.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kleetampa
Encinitas
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We were looking for a place which would be willing to take us for just one night as we wanted to celebrate our anniversary in Avalon where we got married; many lodges require 2 nights on the weekend. We feel we were lucky to find the St Lauren available and we took a larger room with a panoramic view of the harbor and a jacuzzi tub. Also a plus are the nice bathrobes.
They did let us check into our room early which was very helpful and they offer complimentary baggage storage on checkout day so we had time to have coffee and shop before we had to catch the ferry.
I did read some reviews which were somewhat negative re; size of the room and I could only say that if you do opt for the larger rooms you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for patio or bay window
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trippi54
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My family and I stayed at St. Lauren for Easter weekend. We came in on the early boat and we were welcomed by Jacob. When he realized how early we had come in he made sure that our room was cleaned and available as soon as possible. This was a huge relief given all the things we brought and having an 11 year old. Tim noticed we had brought our skateboards and recommended going to skate park and told us how to get there. We have been to Catalina many times and had no idea about the skate park and we were thrilled to learn something new. Our room was cosy and the view was stunning. The staff was so friendly. People like Jacob, Cristal, and Tim made our trip comfortable, relaxing, and stress free. Thank you we look forward to coming back again for my birthday in July!

Room Tip: I booked on Travelocity
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank nikelca2001
Moscow
Reviewed 7 April 2011

The St. Lauren is conveniently located with in walking distance of the Catalina Express terminal. It is off the main street that has all the restaurants and shops, so is quiet but still convenient. The jewel in the crown is the rooftop deck on the sixth floor that overlooks the harbour and surrounding area. A great place to enjoy a glass of wine and snacks before heading out for dinner. All and all a great value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple