“My mom's 84th Birthday/ Excellent”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Santa Ana, California
“My mom's 84th Birthday/ Excellent”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We had an wonderlful time and the service was excellent, They up graded our room for my mother's birthday which was a surprise. Everyone was friendly and polite. Room was clean and comfortable. Thank you St. Lauren staff for making my mom's birthday special!

Room Tip: Ask the staff they are friendly and more then willing to work with you!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Studio City, CA
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My fiance and I decided to take advantage of the unseasonably lovely weather and stay a night in Avalon. After looking at all hotel possibilities, we found that the Hotel St. Lauren had the best room/boat package and booked it. To our pleasant surprise the hotel was lovely. Even in the cheapest room we had a view of the ocean and the 6th floor deck is wonderfully relaxing. Our room was small, but clean and we didn't find ourselves wanting or needing more room. The bathroom was roomy, also very clean.
The hotel staff was very helpful. I needed to change my payment method upon check-in and had no problems doing so.
I would recommend the Hotel St. Lauren to anyone looking for a nice, affordable place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsikins
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This past December was my 4th trip to the Hotel St. Lauren on one of their packages. the hotel continues to be lovely, and the staff are wonderful. My room was delightful, with a small balcony overlooking the harbor and the canyon. The reproduction furniture is nice, the bed comfortable, and the heat works well. The water pressure is good, and the staff handled all of my boat and taxi reservations, so I didn't have to do anything but enjoy myself. A wonderful getaway in a lovely place. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Talk with the staff about your needs and they will match them with the most appropriate room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank ladysailor715
Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Pros:
-Friendly service
-Low price
-Kind of nice looking from the outside
-Decent decor in rooms
-Nice view from their sixth floor balcony
Cons:
-If you leave bags with them after check out, you don't get claim tickets, you just put them unattended in a baggage closet.
-Rooms smelled dusty, and my mom's room, maybe, kind of smelled like a dirty hamper.
-Small rooms.
-Small SD TVs in rooms.
-Heaters had no thermostats.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ivan06
Roseville, California
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I was there for the Catalina Jazz festival, so most rooms were higher priced, I am assuming. It is located a few minutes walk from downtown Avalon. This hotel is an old Victorian style house. The rooms were furnished with older antique style furniture, which gave it a great feel. The bathroom was very large and there was a large walk-in closet. The front desk pre-checked me in and offered to call my cell phone when my room was ready, and I stored my luggage with them. The maintenance guy was great and helped me get ice and cups late one evening. They had coffee everyone morning in the small lobby. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and stay there again. No major concerns.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Redwood26
Phoenix
Reviewed 9 December 2011

After reserving the least expensive room I could find in Avalon, I didn't expect much. I went to the hotel just after getting off the ferry. It was located on a quiet street just about a block from the main drag. The room wasn't ready yet (didn't expect it to be), but the young lady at the desk took my cell phone number. They allowed me to leave my bag so I could go hiking, and called me about an hour later telling me my room was ready. I was shocked by my room (406), it was very large, with a king size bed, huge, tiled bathroom, large closet and very nicely decorated. I had a beautiful view of the ocean. It was very quiet, the pillows and bed were comfortable, and the shower was large and strong. The terrace on the roof had a great view of the ocean and the city. The staff was very friendly, and the wi-fi worked great. No breakfast, just morning coffee, but because it was so much cheaper than the others, I was able to have a great breakfast at a nice restaurant and lunch with my savings. All in all, I couldn't have been happier with my hotel choice.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Ernest D
Oatman, Arizona
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel was very nice, exceptionally clean, and full of charm. The Victorian style hotel built in the 1980's is beautiful and is adorned with Victorian charm. The rooms were spacious and the staff was helpful in all matters including taking photos of us. We really enjoyed our trip to Catalina and the St. Lauren while celebrating 59 wonderful years of friendship. The only slight issue with the St. Lauren is the location (if you desire to be by the water) the St. Lauren is
about 4 blocks uphill from the pier.

Room Tip: The upper floors offer the best view since the St. Lauren has a balcony at the end of the hall where...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple