“A perfect getaway”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California, United States
“A perfect getaway”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

From the minute we arrived in Catalina everything was just perfect. Once we got to Hotel St. Lauren the staff greeted us as if we were family. They were all very friendly and quick to respond to all of our requests. The staff at Hotel St. Lauren made every day/night just as enjoyable as the last and it was nice to come home to after a day of our island adventures. I would highly recommend statying at this location anytime. Conviently located to the local Vons down the street and all shops. Close enough to the water but just far enough away so we could all have a restful sleep for the next day without hearing all the late night party goers. The only one negative for me was that our pillows weren't up to par, but that is an easy fix. Having a friendly staff, the right location, gorgeous views of the ocean, and having the right price for what you get is my main key points.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view Rooms on the 6th floor are worth every penny
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here at the request of a friend. We had never even heard of it prior to our stay. This place is GREAT. The location is perfect. Just a block up from Vons and two or three blocks up from the hustle and bustle on the main drive at the harbor. So you can walk to all the shopping, bars and beach but when you go back to your room it's nice and quiet.

They have an amazing patio on the sixth floor that overlooks the harbor. This is a great place to have a cocktail in the evening or wine and cheese, or simply catch the morning sunrise with a cup of the free but very tasty coffee from the lobby.

The rooms are nice and clean. Victorian in decor and tasteful. Small but all you need since you spend all your time outdoors in Avalon. Only complaint is the pillows which were clearly lifted from Fred Flintsone's bed...they are hard as stones.

Now for the best part. The employees here are AMAZING. They really do everything they can to make you feel at home. The neat part is they clearly do it because they want to, not because they have to. There's a difference and you can tell, at least I can. I have stayed in high end hotels in cities like San Diego, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas and such and NEVER had this kind of friendly service. I will share this story with you all though please don't EXPECT this kind of treatment on the regular as our stay was during the week when it wasn't too busy. I only share this to illustrate how these folks think.

We arrived on a Monday morning. We had asked for an early check in but we were even too early for that. We just checked in and asked for a place to store our bags while we went to the beach. The ladies at the desk showed us where to store our baggage and said they would call us when our rooms were ready. We were changing into beach garb when one flagged me down and proceeded to tell me she was going to upgrade us to a room on the top floor, partial ocean view and it was ready now....no charge! We were elated of course and thanked her profusely. We went up, changed and headed out for the beach. We were discussing which beach to go to walking out of the lobby. Descanso beach is the best but too far to walk to so we decided on Front beach which is just two blocks away. My phone rings 40 yards down the street. It's the ladies at the front desk and they tell me that if I come back I can have the use of her personal golf cart for the day so long as I fill it with gas! Can you believe this? I couldn't, I asked if she was sure and she said, "yea come and get it, I don't need it until 4pm anyway." .

I stopped on the way back at Von's at got the ladies some flowers for being so nice to us. As I walk in, before they could see I got them flowers, they say, "we have a gift for you, we got you some wine to enjoy on the patio later.". They gave me a nice cool bottle of Moscato. Unbelievable right?!?!?

As I said, I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time for obvious reasons but it goes to show how kind and thoughtful the folks are here and it just is how they are, not how they have to be.

I love this place and all the folks here and I personally will stay nowhere else in Avalon, ever. They won me over for good.

• Stayed August 2012
Riverside, California
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much. We had a partial view of the beautitul harbor. The room was very clean. For what we paid, it was what we expected and worth it. The 6th floor patio was absolutely beautiful. We were able to store our luggage which was a plus! Staff was friendly and helpful.The Victorian style was attractive and quaint. The trolley stop was right outside the hotel. It was near the main street and activities. We recommend the hotel!! A/C worked very well!

Room Tip: Rooms with harbor view offer better view. Maybe you won't want to be near the elevator or the st...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria C
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for years, great price and great packages. With the cheap price you get to hear the front desk staff complain about each other and management, they never smile. The rooms are good for the price but new comforters would be nice. The fact that we stay there time and again tells you overall it's fine.

• Stayed August 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My friend booked this hotel for a one night stay. Charming, old world style, very cosy rooms, comfy beds, clean and well appointed. View from the roof terrace awesome, and if you have time, you can enjoy the sunshine and blue skies, relaxing on sunbeds up there. Close to all the good places to eat, and handy for the pier, for boat and other trips. I would recommend this hotel, less expensive than some, but very good value for money.

Room Tip: Book early we did not have a sea view, my friend booked the week before our stay, so book in advance...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

THE DOWNS

To start off, the workers who worked at the front desk were VERY, VERY cold and rude! Thy wouldn't even look at you or say one word to their guests! The ONLY friendly and helpful worker at this hotel was a women named Vicky.
Next, the rooms were kind of small. There really is no other leg room besides the beds and the bathroom but my family some what liked this fact because it was very European! Also, the plumbing inside the rooms was TERRIBLE. The shower would flood up an so would the sinks, this was my family's WORST issue!!!! A real nag. Defenetly did not add up to the pay. Also, the rooms needed a major upgrade. The wallpaper, television, bed covers, furniture, and lamps needed to be somewhat upgraded. It would have been nice. Also, most rooms only had one mirror which was preferably small. This was a real nag especially for the ladies! We all had to squeeze and share one mirror! Also, there was one walk in closet which had no light inside and the door would not stay open so every time you would walk in you would get trapped inside with no lights. You couldn't see what you were wearing. Lastly, the outside patio was very NICE and RELAXING!! However, a real downside was that it closed at 8 pm! That was WAY TOO EARLY, that's the time when people want to go outside while enjoying a drink and seeing the night view of Catalina, so that was a bummer, I wish it at least closed at 10 pm /: The hotel also difnt offerbreakfast, which was a shocker for the price we were paying, but it wasn't a big deal, they do offer coffee in the mornings but it didn't have any quality and a lot of hotels here didn't offer any breakfast.

THE UPS

The cleaning lady was AMAZING! The rooms were cleaned very well and it showed that there was no lazy worked involved. This was very pleasing!! Also, the beds here were super comfortable! I have never seen this many dreams before, you fall into a deep nights sleep, maybe it was because of all the walking, but the beds and pillows seemed
comfy which was a big plus!

Basically, this hotel was not worth the price especially if you are planning a more than one night stay like we were, but in the end it wasn't terrible, just an average hotel whose true quality was worth somewhere around 100 dollars a night but it was still a pleaser. Thanks for reading. (:

• Stayed July 2012

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 8 August 2012

me and my husband had a wonderfull experience here in this hotel ,we loved our room it was big n romantic for our anniversary trip n we had a beautifull view to the ocean as the whole wall had curtains that opened up to see the ocean view,room service i loved s they cleaned our mesy room the next day when we were out :),we also had a big tub that we got to relax in as we were tired of all the activities we did :) they also have 2 robes which we loved and got coffee in the morning,,,they serve coffee n tea from 8 too 11.....also everything is walking distance...i will defently stay here again next yr....:) we just had an amazing experince and this hotel just made it very relaxing n comfortable on our stay .....

Room Tip: ROOM 301 we loved
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple