“Absolutely Phenomonal!!”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 27 June 2008

We would totally recommend the Hotel St. Lauren when you visit Catalina. Excellent accomodations and great staff. Stayed 3 nights and will go again!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 27 June 2008

We just returned from a two night stay at the Hotel St. Lauren located on Catalina Island. It is a Victorian hotel with quaintly furnished rooms. The Hotel St. Lauren is a block from the Avalon Bay and afforded views of the harbor and the hills. The street was quiet with no noise at night. The hotel has a sun-deck, patio on the roof for all guests and it does not open until 9am and closes at 8pm.

We had a room with a king bed and a full size futon, which was perfect for 2 adults and 2 children. Our room was always spotless when we returned from our outings or tours.

They serve a complementary continental breakfast which includes croissants, coffee and orange juice in the lobby from 8am – 10am. This is nice to get the day started.

Overall, this is a wonderful place to hang your hat while on vacation in Avalon.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2008

nice hotel but expensive, you also pre pay, our kids got sick and we had to check out early and the person at the desk did not know how to refund our money so she said to call the manager in a couple of days. We called and she said she could give is credit but not a refund for our one night that we did not stay at the hotel. I think it is stealing; there is also no policy on their web site

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We chose this hotel for our stay in Avalon to celebrate our birthdays and wanted something nice, comfortable, and clean. This was our first overnight in Avalon and expected that we might not get such a nice room within our budget. It was a pleasant surprise to find all that we were looking for and more. This place does remind a person of San Francisco. We enjoyed the deck on the 6th floor from which a view of all of Avalon was particularly special. The location was perfect, a short few blocks from the beach and far enough away to be quiet from the crowds. Our room was nicely decorated, and comfortable. We look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MayleeArizona
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Bottom line: we had four rooms for four couples booked for 2 nights over New Year's, and all four couples were extremely pleased with the hotel.

I went online to book rooms for New Years Eve in Catalina. I read all the room descriptions and made our decisions. I called the hotel to make the actual booking as we needed multiple rooms and to confirm that what we wanted was available. The front desk/reservations woman was very helpful and courteous, and I received our confirmations promptly, as promised. Upon checking in we were helped by another very
friendly and efficient young woman. We were four hours before check-in
time, but she checked with housekeeping and confirmed that one of our four rooms was ready and allowed us to check-in to that room. (The hotel does have a luggage storage room in the event your room is not yet available.) We had booked the 2 King rooms with the jucuzzi tubs and shared balcony and 2 King rooms with the Residental View. The 2 Rooms with the shared balcony are great. Large rooms with nice baths and an exceptionally nice large balcony shared between the two rooms with great views of Avalon. Our party had both rooms so that was our meeting place for the eight of us. These are more expensive rooms, but if you need two rooms, well worth it to have your own private balcony. The King rooms with the residential view were nice as well. Not as large and the other two, but they were as described online and the residential view was nice as well. The hotel has a public patio on the 6th floor that is spacious. Also, a smaller patio on the 2nd floor. The continental breakfast consisted of yummy croisants, coffee,
and juice. The hotel is situated a long block up from the main street which makes the hotel quiet in the evening, yet still accessible to main street activities which are just a short walk away. The staff was
prompt and helpful in calling taxis and assisting guests. All of our party had a great time. We will go back.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank dolphingalsjc
Reviewed 25 November 2007

We paid extra for a balcony, oceanview, and jacuzzi. The cost was $268 per night + tax. I didn't realize that the balcony was shared. There was an ocean view, but not from the bed. I also didn't realize that there was a roof deck above the room. Everytime someone walked above, each footstep sounded like thunder.

For that price, I really wanted peace, quiet, and privacy. All of that was comprimised. It wasn't too bad because it was off-season, and we had quiet neighbors. I imagine it could be a nightmare if the adjacent guests were loud.

The hotel was starting to become run-down, but it was reasonably clean. The private jacuzzi was nice. The staff was helpful and polite. Check-in and check-out was fast. I was impressed that we were allowed to check in at 10 AM.

I would stay here again, but at a much lower price. It is not luxury accomodations, but quite average. For Avalon hotels, it was above average. It is a little nicer and quieter than in other local establishments.

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank pchoc6
Reviewed 16 November 2007

Something about this hotel that caught my eye. Maybe it was the pink exterior anyway, it looked cool.

I ended up staying at this hotel because the original hotel I booked, was below par.

I found this hotel cozy and comfortable. My room had no view, but that didn't bother me. I wasn't there to stay in my room. One side to the hotel has a view of the street and thats it, from what I saw. You had to go on the roof to get a view of the island and a wonderful view it was. Great for a early breakfast. The room and bathroom were clean. The decor was colorful with a Queen Anne feel. The bathroom had antique fixtures and in good condtion. The woman at the front desk was polite and delightful. The lobby was cozy and in good condition. This hotel had an elevator, some hotels on Catalina island don't have elevators.

I liked this hotel. They even have a pink hotel car. I would recommend this hotel unless you are looking for 5 stars accommodations.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank eventfuls