“Great!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California
“Great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I went with my mother 76 years old and my 3 daughters age from 11, 13 and 16. We had a blast. We got the family package that included kayak, mini-golf, movie and transportation to the island. The room was super clean, third floor 301 with the ocean view, there is a bar downstairs that is noisy but I bought some ear plugs and my problem was solved!!! No ac but with the breeze from the ocean and the fan, temperature was perfect. On our last day they even offered to drop you luggage at the dock complimentary of the hotel, and I gave them 5 bucks. I only have good things to say about the price and the service. If you are looking for something fancy, there are plenty around but it is going to be a waist of your money, who is going to be in the hotel room other than to go to bed!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank maureen p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

my fiance and i had the BEST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER @ HOTEL ATWATER! from the moment we arrived at the front desk (juanna was there that weekend), it was the best customer service ever. BUT here's the real story. we fell in love with an art print in our room -- a simple print of catalina's flying fish -- and REALLY wanted it as a memory of our romantic catalina stay. so, with the incredible help of staff members julian, gloria and cynthia, we were ACTUALLY ABLE to purchase it! now, it's hanging in my fiance's dorm room at yale university's nursing school. can you believe that? WELL, IT'S TRUE! all thanks to the amazing staff at the hotel atwater! thanks guys and see y'all at spring break!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thecuddlebears
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We booked because there was a package deal with free round-trip ferry tickets. We ended up parking at the wrong parking lot, though, so what I thought was $8 per day parking was really $15 per day. This was in Newport Beach. There was a long line of people registering at the hotel, so we checked in and left our stuff at the hotel and explored the area, came back to pick up our things when our room was ready.

The hotel's walls are fairly thin, and there was no air conditioning in our room, so we left the windows open. July is a busy time, so it was very noisy. Conversations can be heard across the courtyard and even from miles from the hotel. Since there is little noise pollution, you can hear people's conversations for miles. There is no white noise to block it out. I think it's time to renovate the hotel and put in some noise-reducing materials into each room as it is done slowly.

There are no stairs, so people who have mobility problems should not book the hotel unless they request the first floor, but even the first floor won't work for those in wheelchairs. There is at least a step everywhere.

I do have to compliment the hotel on its service. The staff are friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the valet baggage service to the ferry when we checked out. We would recommend this hotel to value-conscious travelers. It is NOT a luxury hotel, so if you want 5-star accommodations, I'm sure this is not the place for you. We will probably be back, although we would like to experience the island in the winter instead of summer.

3 Thank Internatl_Trvlr
Arcadia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I booked my trip for 4 days through Expedia in Catalina Island. I booked two rooms for six in my group. When I got to the Atwater Hotel to check in Expedia had booked my group into 2 rooms with two twin beds. That would be two twin beds for 3 persons in each room. There was no way we would be able to fit in a room that has two twin beds for 3 people. Being that this was a busy weekend in Catalina Island there was no chance of getting different rooms to accomodate my group and fixing the mistake that Expedia had made. However, one of the front desk workers, Dave Luber, was very helpful and was able to accomadate us in another hotel. Not only that but he also worked out the finances so we wouldn't have to pay extra for a mistake that was neither theirs or mine. Anyhow, it was a nice weekend and I just want to thank Dave for all his help and making the problem a little easier to take care of.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Ojai, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Hotel Atwater is with out any bells and whistles but when your on vacation in Catalina, who needs bells and whistles. The rooms are very small but very clean and in good working order. We had a room facing the ocean on the second floor and it was quiet and the breeze is enough to keep the room cool since there is not AC/Heat. The hotel is right in the middle of the shops and restaurants and the staff was very helpful in island information. The showers are very tiny but good water pressure and nice amenities. To the staff, we thank you for a nice anniversary!

Room Tip: I would spring for the third floor ocean view.
2 Thank Ojai_Now
Pam Springs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We were in an upgraded room which was definitely nothing fancy. I think the only thing that qualified for upgraded was the wall air conditioner. The hotel didn't have our reservation when we arrived, which was a little concerning since we had verifed the it both with the hotel and Expedia. They were very nice though and found us one of the last available rooms. The location is perfect for wandering around the town of Avalon. Nice staff.

Lancaster, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel was being renovated in March 2011 my first time to Catalina. It is now done, and although I chose to stay in the cheapest one, it was very nice and comfy. Doesn't have AC but the fan did the job just fine. Because remember you're by the ocean, so you open a window and it was perfect. i would recommend this for an inexpensive quality stay!

Room Tip: Anything will probably be satisfactory. Customer service was great.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo