“A wonderful surprise”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Luis Obispo, California
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just returned from a short getaway in Avalon and stayed for the first time at the Hotel Atwater - and what a wonderful surprise. I chose it because their rates are still very reasonable in season and I was not let down. Even though it is old, it is spotless, welcoming and comfortable. The only reason it did not get 5 stars was because of the size of the bathroom - but that is beyond their control since the hotel was built in the 1920s, i believe. Rooms are adequate size, basically furnished but comfy bed and nice linens. And the inside rooms (they open to an open atrium area, not accessible by guests) are the quietest in Avalon. The staff is wonderful - efficient and friendly, especially bellman Mariano - a smile every time I saw him. He went out of his way to make me feel welcome. Even in the off-season, I will not hesitate to return to the Hotel Atwater.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are interior ones - no view but the silence is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cma1944

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Acton, California, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

We were on the island to celebrate our 10th Anniversay, my husband requested an early (Monday) check in. When we arrived at noon we waited a while before helped then told the suite was not ready. We didn't mind as they stated it would be ready right away, so we went to lunch and window shop and returned around 2:30 and told our room was still not ready. So we bought tour tickets and went to do that, by the time we returned about 5:30 (exhausted at this point) we were finally able to check in. The room was a suite and was ok on my scale and on 3rd floor, no elevator though we knew this going in,our bellhop beat us to our door as we were not told which stairs to use. We were told our room had actually been ready much earlier in the day. I don't think I would stay there again nothing about the hotel would make me think of them first other than to recommend a different hotel!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, Marketing Department at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
We sincerely apologize for your less than ideal experience at the Hotel Atwater. Our staff strives to provide guests with the best service and atmosphere, and your review will help us to achieve these goals. We have taken your review into account and will work on streamlining our management process to make sure this won't happen again. Thank you! Hope we can improve your experience next time!
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Having never been to Avalon before, we relied heavily on Trip Advisor reviews to select a reasonably-priced hotel, and they were spot on! This place is a good value for pricey Catalina. The newly renovated hotel has an attractive lobby, with friendly staff. There's lemonade in the afternoon and excellent coffee in the morning. The hallways feature photos of old-time Avalon, and our room had a period-style poster as wall decor. Our economy room had no view, but we were never in the room in the daytime anyway. The room was small, with an excellent queen bed with nice linens. Small bathroom with no counter space to speak of, but that's a minor quibble, and there were nice toiletries.

The hotel is located only 1/2 block off of the main street, a very central location. Avalon isn't that big, so you can walk everywhere! We walked to the Wrigley Memorial (nice walk even if you don't go in the botanical garden, which is where the memorial is), the casino (take the tour inside - it's gorgeous), and up the hill to what used to be the Wrigley mansion (great views along that walk). We also took a two-hour tour to see the interior of the island and the "airport in the sky" which was well worth it as we learned a lot from the driver. The evening flying fish boat tour was so fun--we saw lots of these amazing fish which manage to "fly" several feet out of the water due to their extended gills.

We loved our stay at the Hotel Atwater and hope to return to Catalina someday!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanette1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I just returned from my trip to Catalina, and this hotel was wonderful. I will DEFINITELY stay here again. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the room was clean (and adorable!), and the location couldn't be better!! They even let us come back and shower after we had checked out! A great place to stay on the island!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Newark, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel for the weekend and we were move to another room, which is better than the first one. I left my shampoo and conditioner in the shower and forget to take them with me(special treatment for my hair). I asked one of the room service lady in the hallway to find my toiletries which I thought were thrown away. In no time they knock on my door and delivered them to me. What a quick response to customer request. I did not get the ladies names but I am sure they knows who they are.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor is better than the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Generally, young staff members were expressive and approachable. However, Alex contributed a level of personable & caring service which made our stay memorable. The hotel's historical character coupled with the Eurocentric personalities of its staff was compelling. Deserves more than your consideration...

Room Tip: single king suite was roomy; A/C noise fades into background
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
chicago, IL
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Just leaving the Atwater hotel.  Our family of 18 had an incredible time.  Rooms recently renovated, the place felt clean and safe.  Staff were incredibly helpful including Dave, Juan, Alex and Jesus.  GET THE FAMILY UNLIMITED PACKAGE! it will keep you busy for the entire stay.  Tickets for expeditions are available after 7:45am, and on the package you can get up to 4 for each room. Green fees at the 9-hole golf course are also included (you can rent for $22). You are centrally located to just about everything.  Take the isthmus cruise and the east end tour.

If you need something, ask.  They probably can help.  This hotel is an excellent value, no frills.  Watch the website for discounts.

• Stayed August 2012