“Great location”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The staff is generally very helpful, but I was very disappointed with the rooms on this visit. The rooms are somewhat small, which was not my issue, but some of the rooms were priced disproportionately high for the additional square footage (maybe 20) they called an upgraded room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Atwater

Reviewed 1 October 2013

A friend and I stayed for two nights in late September. The hotel is obviously older, but you can see it was probably something in it's hey day. There is no elevator, so be prepared to haul your luggage and climb stairs. We had a large room. The bathroom was adequate, but could probably use some updating. We had no problems with anything. No refrigerator or microwave. Half a block to the beach; less than that to the "Tour Plaza" where lots of the tours leave from. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Air conditioned. Slept very well. Actually left windows opened and enjoyed the cool nights. I would stay there again. Wish I'd seen the 3 for 2 deal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here once for a few nights. I dont know if all the rooms that are as big as the one I got but it was spacious. My friends and I had a great time. The location is great, steps from the beach and in right near the boardwalk. I would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here late August as a last second trip to California. Most hotels on the waterfront were already booked so we stayed here. The price was right and it was just 1/2 block of the waterfront but smack in the middle of the action.

It is an older hotel and out room was small but freshly painted, clean and quiet. The bathroom was also small. Yet that did not distract from the charm of the hotel. The staff was great. I truly enjoyed my stay there and will be returning there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We decided to vacation on Catalina Island. After searching all of the hotels on the island, almost all of them were unavailable for the time we would be there (July 17th thru the 20th). But, the Hotel Atwater had a vacancy, and the price was right.

I'd say that the hotel exterior is somewhat dated, but freshly painted. The interior is what hotels used to look like, in their heydays. The lobby had a high ceiling, a nice, modern front desk, and stairways that went up to the second floor rooms. No elevators.

The staff was very helpful and friendly, throughout our stay. The Starbucks coffee in the morning was much appreciated, too.

Our room was simple, but large. The bath was somewhat old fashioned, but very clean. The view wasn't much—that of the roof of the building right next door. But, with the windows open, the air was always fresh.

Compared to some of the $500/night hotels along the strand over karaoke bars where the "singing" goes on till 3 or 4 a.m., this place was quiet and mellow.

I really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first room next to the stairs on the second floor, east side. You'd think you c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ughmeister
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here with my wife for two nights over labor day weekend. Overall we were very happy with the hotel and would stay here again. Comparatively speaking, the price we paid was a great deal for Catalina. While nobody would confuse this hotel for a resort it was more than serviceable for a couple nights while visiting the island. The hotel definitely feels older but has just enough charm to make up for its age. One big thing going for this hotel is the location. It was right in the center of everything and you could walk everywhere within 5 minutes. If you are looking for a place to crash for the night while you visit the island this is a great starting point for your trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael O
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have never been to Avalon before and was a bit surprised by the lack of options and the high room rates I was finding. The Atwater seemed to be a good choice and had the best rate of the places I was actually willing to stay after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed.

This was our final run to the beach for the summer before the kids went back to school. So there were 4 of us: 2 adults, a 5-year-old and 7-year-old. We book a queen room. The hotel offered a free roll-a-way too. It was small and cramped (no bath and a shower the size of a broom closet); but the room was comfortable and--given the closeness of the beach, bars and other inherent activities of Avalon--it was quiet. And be aware that it's 3 floor and there's no elevator.

But you go to Avalon to spend time on the beach, in the water and wandering around the town's bars and restaurants; so this was a comfortable place to stay.

The staff was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. As I mentioned, we got a roll-a-way bed and it was the staff that suggested to make us more comfortable in the room. The hotel also offers a service to deliver your bags to your ferry for FREE when you leave. That way you can enjoy the beach and town your last day without having to screw around with all your luggage!

Room Tip: Like I said, it's 3 floors with no elevator, so you may want to opt for a 2nd floor room (I don...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family