“Well worth the money at Snug Harbor Inn”
Review of Snug Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Snug Harbor Inn
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
PS
“Well worth the money at Snug Harbor Inn”
Reviewed 7 August 2008

As a Grandmother of a 14 yr old granddaughter, who would have thought she would want to spend 3 whole days alone with this little old lady. I booked the whole thing online with a 2 night stay and the tour that went with it. I have to admit i was a little anxious at first not knowing what this little "Inn" would have to offer. But when we got there and into the room, the excitement just poured out of both of us. The room was decorated delightfully with a King size bed and fireplace in front of it. The TV in the armoure was extremely convenient but the bathroom was the best of all !!!
The whole bathroom was tiled and extremely well lite, with the magnified mirror extending from the wall. But the bathtub was the best... The jet jacuzzi was aimed to relax every sore muscle i could have acquired from all the snokeling and golf carting we did. And on top of all that, they brought to us the best complimentary breakfast you could ask for. Blueberry or Lemonpoppy loaf, OJ, milk, coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, granola, fresh berries and fruit, bottles of water with an ice bucket. Maid service everyday. There are only 6 rooms in this inn which also made me feel extremely safe and there was staff there for any need we might have had. I spoke to a few other people who were staying on the island and came to the conclusion that i had DEFINITELY made the right choice in places to stay. As far as i'm concerned... This will always be the place i will stay every time i go to Catalina. Thank you Snug Harbor for making our 3 day stay something my granddaughter and I will remember for the rest of our lives. Signed... Grandma Elena

• Liked — Snug Harbor was the BEST all around
  • Stayed August 2008

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
san diego
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Sung Harbor...Let me start with the pro's:

I think what really made this a pleasant stay is the level of customer service. The staff will do anything to accommodate you. Our room was ready shortly after we checked in (before the 3pm check-in), they provided us with a complementary bottle of champagne, and they allowed us to check out a bit later than 11am. The breakfast is delicious! I know some people prefer to eat a bit heartier meal (eggs, sausage...) but the bread is delicious and there is more than plenty to eat in that adorable basket. If this is not enough food for breakfast...you may just have too much of an appetite! The evening wine and cheese is the perfect afternoon snack. However, for you wine/cheese aficionados, don't expect any Port Salut or imported chesses or fancy wine; it is simple cheddar, pepper jack, etc... But that is a good thing considering most people are not wine/cheese snobs! All these little things made this a fantastic stay!

The cons. Not many but there are some flaws. One is location, which is not the hotels fault! They are located right across the street from the Chi Chi Club and you can hear people partying well into 3am. Although the hotel does provide ear plugs, it is still difficult to drown out the noise. Another con is the upkeep of the place. Just to let you know, I am a bit OCD, so these things may not necessarily matter to everyone. I found the place to be a bit dusty. Not so much the common area, but our floor was a bit dusty upon arriving and the ceiling fan was covered in dust. Also, the bathroom floor was very dirty. Grout lines were black in the traffic areas, yet white under the sink. The sink area was also a bit rusty, but again, not everyone cares about this. Oh yea, and the room (Santa Barbara) is BEYOND small! It looks long in the picture, but I think it is to European standards.

Despite the list above, I would definitely stay hear again. It is a small, quant place with incredible customer service and believe me, by the look of some of the other hotels, this is one of the best! I loved my stay and can't wait to come back!

• Liked — Awesome Staff
  • Disliked — Could be a bit cleaner
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starprincess0701
California
Reviewed 16 May 2008

This was the most fantastic hotel stay ever! The rooms had amazing decor and view. There was complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings at the lounge room.. and..oh..the breakfast basket is amazing. They deliver this awesome breakfast to your room (also complementary). We went on a package deal which included the express boat to the island for 2, room, and 2 passes to a travel excursion. The price was fantastic too. They even had a little card that said "Happy Anniversary" and a complimentary bottle of wine in our room. The attendants were polite and everything was just wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. We will stay there again next year on our anniversary.

• Liked — The breakfast basket
  • Disliked — Everything was truly perfect. No complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smpriddy
Laguna Niguel, CA
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Snug Harbor Inn was absolutely flawless. My husband and I stayed for an anniversary/birthday celebration for two nights. The first night we stayed in the Anacapa suite, which faces a side street from the bay window seating area. The view from most of the room is of the building across the street, you can only see the ocean if you are seated in one of the chairs near the window. The second night we stayed in the San Nicolas suite which has a direct ocean view and faces the water, you can see the view in the pictures I attached. All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating, check-in is at 3 p.m. but since we arrived early they said they would call me on my cell phone when the room was ready and we were able to get in an hour or so earlier. I had told them upon booking that it was my husband's birthday so they had a bottle of champagne and a happy birthday card waiting in our room. Also in the rooms are fresh cut flowers, heavy terry cloth robes and his and hers slippers. The rooms were both very clean although the San Nicolas room appeared slightly more aged (the sink had small divots that at first looked like dirt spatters but when I looked closely I could see they were small dings). There is a significant size difference between the Anacapa suite and San Nicolas suite, the San Nicolas room being probably half the size of Anacapa, but we preferred that room because of the gorgeous view. The rooms have a switch next to the bed to turn on the fireplace and after a few clicks it turns on and really adds to the cozy romance of the whole experience.

What really stood out to me about the inn is how all the small conveniences are covered. In the morning a large basket is delivered with continental breakfast consisting of fresh baked bread, yogurt, small fruit cups, granola, orange juice and a carafe of coffee. The person delivering the food will also set it up for you on the table in the room if requested. Food is delivered between 8 and 10 but you can request what time slot you would like in case you prefer an earlier or later delivery. The second day we chose to just take the basket and have breakfast in bed and enjoy the beautiful ocean view. During the evening (because it was off season the times were 4;30 to 5:30) the inn sets up a complimentary platter of cheese slices, crackers, mixed nuts and some kind of dip along with white or red wine that you can enjoy in the cute little lounge area (also with a fireplace) or bring back to your room. There is a booklet in each room with a selection of movies to check out for free while staying there, and each room has a combo dvd/vhs player so I would recommend bringing some of your favorite movies or just check out the ones they have. The bathtubs are jacuzzi tubs with jets but I did not try them out. There is also turn down service around 6 p.m. and the housekeeper brings two small ghiradelli chocolates to enjoy.

I definitely recommend making any calls to the front desk with questions or reservation assistance before they leave at 6 p.m. because otherwise you will have to call the night manager who may not be at the property.

As far as restaurants on the island, I would recommend Steve's Steakhouse, we ordered some halibut that was awesome and it is upstairs with a view of the water which is nice. Antonios is good for pizza and pasta and you can throw peanut shells on the floor. El Galleon is a pirate ship looking restaurant that I've heard is fun for going out during the summer but the food we ordered there was not so great (fettucine with veggies) and the service was slow. Most of the salads are iceberg lettuce which if you like iceberg will be perfect but I really wanted a field or mixed greens salad and could not find one for the life of me!

Because it is March and on the cooler side we didn't do any water sports but we did visit the botanical gardens (about a mile and a half from town uphill) that also has the Wrigley Memorial which is cool. We took a taxi up the hill because the trolley wasn't running but we walked back down and it took about a half hour. The taxi cost $12. We also visited the Museum in the casino and it is very small, not much to see but they have some interesting history on the islands development.

Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend Snug Harbor Inn to anyone looking for peace and quiet - if you are looking for somewhere that has room service, a spa, etc. then this is not the place but if you are looking for a relaxing cozy hideaway then this is perfect. Enjoy!

I would be happy to answer any other questions!

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank klfcalgrad
Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2008

We had a perfect stay at Snug Harbor Inn and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of coming to Catalina. The room was very lovely -- nautical theme, nicely decorated, fresh flowers, clean, comfortable bed, well-supplied bath, and the breakfast delivered each morning to our room was delicious. Also enjoyed the wine and hors d'oeuvres in the early evening and the DVD library available for our use. Since it was February, we made good use of the in-room fireplace and felt right at home the entire time, thanks to the attentive service supplied by all the staff.

The location is also convenient to everything in Avalon.

We live on the East Coast and wish we were nearer to Catalina so that we could visit quite often. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

• Liked — Everything about it suited us.
  • Disliked — I have no negatives to report.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carriage1
seattle, wa
Reviewed 6 November 2007

We stayed in the Santa Catalina room for two nights. Wish we could have stayed much longer. We had a very nice view of the marina/ocean while eating our wonderful breakfast that was delivered to our room. We had a great bed with first-class linen, wonderful jacuzzi and shower, lots of goodies (loofa, great soaps, shampoos, etc.) Lots of little touches that made us feel very special. The wine and cheese at 5pm was fabulous. Could not have asked for more. Will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — First-class touches like nice linen and breakfast delivered to room. The perfect shower head.
  • Disliked — The room was small, but I think all rooms in Avalon are small out of necessity.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank coffee44
Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Researched nearly every hotel on the island and ended up staying at Snug Harbor Inn. Great choice. I couldn't really find anything negative about the place - it's in a great location, the staff are very accommodating, the breakfast in the morning is very good, free cheese and wine in the evening...it's just a fun experience all around.

Guys -- if you want to impress your girl, I would definitely recommend this place. I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and she fell in love with it.

I know Catalina is the type of place where you just need a bed to sleep in, but this hotel really does add to the trip. In my top ten hotels I've ever stayed at.

• Liked — Free wine, decor, location, staff, jacuzzi tub, view, everything!
  • Disliked — I could see the stairs being a hassle for disabled travelers
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank PiKap335