“Great place to stay!”
Review of Snug Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Snug Harbor Inn
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We stayed at the Snug Harbor Inn for 2 nights and we absolutely loved it. We took advantage of their 2 nights for 1 deal. The staff were top notched and you can tell they care about providing great customer service. The breakfast served in our room was healthy and very filling. There was also a wine and cheese reception every afternoon. I highly recommend the San Nicholas room since it has a great view. Overall, we definitely will go back there again.

One negative point - the bar nearby was pretty loud on one of the nights and I've read some complaints before I made the reservation. I turned on the air conditioner and it pretty much drowned the sound. They also give you some earplugs. If you want extreme quiet at night, do not stay at the hotels/b and b's facing the ocean since they will be surrounded by bars.

We went to Steve's Steakhouse and that place has really good food. Try the swordfish - it melts in your mouth. The service was also excellent.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Southern California
Reviewed 19 December 2009

The staff was top notch. They were extrememly flexible with changing our reservation due to illness. The room quality is great. We had a chance to look at most of the rooms while we were there and we would have been happy with anyone of them. They served complimentory breakfast in the room. Cheese and crackers in the evening. They treated us like we were guests in their home. Would defiinitely recomend this place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Positively perfect!

We had only one day on Catalina Island and only one night at the Snug Harbor Inn. But what an absolutely lovely night it was.

When I booked, I did kind of grimace at the price of the night (U$240) but I already knew that the Island can be pricey. But, when we got to the Inn, we very very quickly forgot all about the price as it became obvious that it was soooo worth it.

It is a very small absolutely charming establishment – related to the Vista del Mar I believe – it seems to only have 6 rooms. It also has a sitting room area as well as a kitchen (but I’m not sure if you can use the kitchen). In case it is important to you, it does have two flights of stairs to get to the rooms – and no elevator (although Juan, the fellow who booked us, made sure to mention that on the telephone before he booked us in). The 2 young ladies we met at the front desk were so friendly and courteous and professional – just so darn pleasant. We got there before check in but they were more than happy to store out luggage as we had scuba diving plans for the afternoon. We were also thrilled to hear that when we got back from diving there would be complimentary wine and cheese waiting for us in our room. Nice touch!

After diving, we got back to the Inn at about 6pm an opened the door to one of the most adorable rooms I have ever seen. I guess they call it “Cape Cod style” on their website. We stayed in the Santa Cruz room. Not big – but so cute and tidy and clean and cozy and comfy. Loved it! And really enjoyed the wine, crackers, and cheese that were indeed waiting for us.

The room also had a fireplace and one of those “outdoor sounds” machines which we had fun with. Part of the décor is a dozen or so real books placed in various locations around the room – very handy if you have the hankering for a read. We didn’t use the robes but we both loved the slippers – I am keeping them for future trips. The shower was great – and if we had not had plans to go out I would have taken a soak in the jetted tub.

After showering, a bit of a lie down was in order. Well, that was a bad and wonderful decision all in one. Bad because we ended up not getting up causing us to bail on our plans and wonderful because the reason we didn’t get up was because the bed was so amazingly comfortable! Amazing sheets, the best pillows ever! Heaven! What a wonderful sleep.

In the morning, we were thrilled when the complimentary breakfast showed up (they ask you the night before to choose from a few items). Another lovely staff person brought to our room a selection of tea, yogurt, granola, and a delicious warm banana nut loaf. Delish.

Seriously, our stay there could not have been more perfect. The Snug Harbor Inn is one of my best ever travel experiences!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
CA
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This is the email I just sent to Snug Harbor since they directed me to leave comments with tripadvisor!
Dear Snug Harbor Management and Staff,
Before I leave any review on tripadvisor, which I did read before making my reservations with you, I wanted to give you my comments. The room, the nice staff, and the service were quite good, overall. I would have enjoyed an earlier breakfast delivery, but understand the system now, and would suggest you might ask your guests to give a preference when you confirm the reservation. The air conditioner was perhaps frozen when we arrived to the warm room, and took forever to cool down. Opening the windows that night did not help, as the noise from the street was a drawback.
And about that noise; we actually had to run the air conditioner (very noisy the 1st night, but working ok the second night) to counter the racket from the infamous Chi-Chi across the street. The obnoxious patron's filthy ranting, shouting of drunken obscenities, screaming and carrying on, with a security guard and policeman appearing at the scene with no effect, made our two nights the worst I have ever spent in a hotel, as far as sleep was concerned. Worse than the night above an Irish wedding in Kilkenny, and an occasion in Stockholm with an early morning bakery truck driver, and even worse than nights in Turkey during Ramadan with 3am drum beating and dogs barking thoughout the towns! Yes, I found the noise machine, and the earplugs. But the anger remained. Waking up 3 (at least) times each night with these idiots trying to outdo each other with obnoxious language was pretty hard to ignore.
I feel sorry for your establishment to be cursed with such an uncivilized neighbor, and I know that the Chi-Chi has been around forever. Just did not realize how bad the proximity would be for a restful sleep. I would have to guess that the only time this Chi-Chi noise might not be a factor, would be the winter months, during the week. And I really don't think my husband and I would ever take a chance on a repeat visit because of this. If you ever figure out a way to eliminate the noise, guaranteed in writing, I could give your Inn a recommendation. But not at this point.
I wish you luck, and a good sound proof curtain, or something.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank misspammy
San Diego
Reviewed 6 September 2009

The rooms are oustanding, the people are friendly and the service the best. Great location.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I took our first trip to Catalina and selected the Snug Harbor Inn because of its location, price, breakfast, wine and the larger size of the rooms. We reviewed other locations with better views/decks, but the size of the rooms was tiny, the prices were higher and they didn't include breakfast or wine and cheese in the afternoon. Juan and the rest of the staff took good care of us. We'll definitely stay there next time we visit Catalina. We had no noise problems although our stay on Sunday and Monday nights probably weren't prime bar times.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 12 July 2009

My husband and I recently spent our "mini-moon" on Catalina for 3 nights and 4 days. We stayed in the Santa Cruz room. This room is their smallest room, but to us it was plenty! The bed was extremely comfortable, the air conditioning, fire place, soundscapes (which we set to rainy day for an afternoon of relaxation), slippers, and drawer space was nothing short of perfect. We couldn't have been happier. The breakfast was equally delicious...but the main thing we loved about this inn was the smallness of it, the cleanliness (which is a must for us) and the fact that it provided us with so much comfort made our honeymoon so memorable. We couldn't have cared less that the other rooms were bigger. The Chi Chi club never bothered us, but we stayed Sunday through Wednesday, so perhaps it is in full swing on Thurs-Sat nights...or perhaps just having the air conditioning unit on drowned out the sound. We never had trouble sleeping or napping.

What we paid for the room and what we got in terms of service and cleanliness and comfort was definitely worth it. There were other hotels on the island which were bigger and afforded bigger rooms and more hotel services, but those rooms were much MORE expensive than what we paid for this time of year, by at least $100-150. We couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple