“Fun inexpensive getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Boat House
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
“Fun inexpensive getaway”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Bought a 3 night deal on lLiving Social, it included round trip transportation on the Catalina Flyer, bike rental, casino museum passes, and Wrigley garden passes for $299.00. We were able to pay an extra $100.00 to include our daughter and she got the same benefits. When I called in advance to confirm our reservation Scotty couldn't find it, luckily they had one room left and it was an upgrade. I think it was a great price for a three day getaway at Catalina. The hotel is old but we had no complaints. Nice community deck with a view of the water, jacuzzi, bathtub, small kitchen, comfortable beds and a great flat screen tv. We also used the BBQ on our last night, they could definitely use a new BBQ! If they have this deal again, I'm in!!! The golf cart did break down on us when we arrived with our luggage but a friendly guy saw us lugging our luggage uphill and stopped to give us a ride. Also didn't get to use our passes to the Wrigley gardens because it was closed for an event but we plan on returning and using them at a later date. If you aren't looking for anything fancy try this place, we enjoyed it! Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a mini suite with jacuzzi tub upstairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank yswillits
HermosaHotel, General Manager at Catalina Boat House, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chino Hills, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I bought a Living Social deal for my boyfriends birthday in June and we were booked for rooms at the Catalina Beach House. It is up a moderately steep hill, but I really didn't mind that at all and I really liked that it was off of the main streets since it tends to get pretty loud with all of the bars on the weekends. The thing about this hotel is that it is undergoing major reconstruction currently! So there is dust and construction equipment around. That being said, the new rooms are gorgeous! We were lucky enough to get a refurbished room for our stay and we LOVED it! There's a small kitchenette, which we used to the fullest. Enjoyed coffee in the morning and were able to save our leftovers from dinner using the fridge. The bed and pillows are super comfy as well. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle A
You're right - you stayed during the peak of our remodeling! Sorry for that inconvenience, but so happy you loved your room!!! We hope to see you again soon!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My friend and I went here for my birthday earlier in the month. We absolutely loved it! We were lucky enough to have one of the updated rooms, it was super cute. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the shower was large with a awesome shower head. The room had a mini kitchen, which I wasn't expecting. The view from the patio, which was right outside our door, was gorgeous. We stayed a good portion of our trip hanging out on the patio. I don't understand why people were complaining about hill the hotel sits on. We walked it no problem a couple of times, and there was always a ride available from the hotel if we requested it. We also were able to leave our luggage at their sister hotel after check out, while we waited for our ferry back to LA. The staff at both locations were friendly and accommodating.
I would stay here again, and also will recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We stayed on the middle floor, but we noticed some rooms on the top floor that had a awesome view as...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heidrahearts
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We agree - our hotel is a fun and cute place to hang out and enjoy yourself! I'm so glad you took full advantage of that!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great time. Great place. Great price. What more should one say ? Staff at both hotels were great. We stayed at the Beach House. Room was big, recently remodeled. Big enough for a table and chairs, but were lacking those items. I asked for chairs and was given 2 folding chairs that worked for us.
Read several reviews that complained about the hike to the hotel. Those folks should get over it. Avalon/Catalina is not flat, but if you needed a ride to this property, Hermosa hotel would take you there, in a chauffeured Limo ( golf cart ) to your stay. Enough said.
Bed and pillows were very comfy.
There are no Hilton's on the Island, so understand you'll be staying in older, remodeled properties anywhere on Catalina. Catalina Beach House will not disappoint you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott K
At the time you stayed we were in the midst of remodeling several of our rooms and didn't yet have all of the new items in the rooms (ie the table and chairs you mentioned). If you like what you saw in June, we hope you'll come back again soon and see the changes since then! Thank you for your post.
West Richland, Wa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Hermosa hotel back in 2012 while running the Catalina Island Marathon - that place was fun, so I decided to go with the Beach House this time around. It was off-season, so there were not a lot of folks around - nice and quiet. The room included extras for cooking and that turned out to be a plus. Of course, perty much everything in Avalon is close ... so little walking was necessary to get anywhere. The staff were very helpful and pointed out several nice hiking trails along with a shuttle service to the island airport (from there, a nice 12 mile hike back to Avalon). I will likely stay here again on my next biannual return to Catalina. Cheers!

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade to a room that includes the small kitchen (if that would be beneficial).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PDG2
Thank you for your posting. We love hosting active guests, as the island is certainly a playground for you! It's great that you gave our other hotel a try, and we're thrilled that you were pleased. See you soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place was the BEST!!! It was just a short walk from everything.....the staff was fabulous!!! Specifically, Ciara, she was my very own "Avalon Angel". I had an emergency situation & she went above & beyond to assist me to resolve my issue. I have been traveling w/my son at least once a yr for the last 8yrs & this is the BEST trip we've had & its definitely because of the wonderful time that we spent at this location. I'm already planning my return for this August :-D

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 702chaundra
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We enjoyed having you and look forward to seeing you again soon!
El Cajon, California
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the affordable and comfortable Catalina Beach House, celebrating our wedding anniversary and Mother's Day. The staff at both the CBH and Hermosa sites were very attentive. Thanks for the bikes and tips! The kitchenette unit helped us keep the weekend affordable, and the CBH was close to everything. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan C
Thank you for your feedback - we hope you'll visit us again soon!