“Decent food, friendly service, nice outdoor seating; dirty tables a turn off”
Review of Cafe Metropole

Cafe Metropole
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I opted for this lunch spot while visiting Catalina Island because of the healthy menu options and nice outdoor dining area. The friendly woman behind the counter was helpful in my decision making of a lunch selection. I was given a plastic number and told someone would bring my order out to me. I couldn't help but notice a smear of something similar to marinara on my number-yuck! That minor thing would have been easily overlooked, however, finding a clean table was strike two. Most of the tables were dirty with crumbs; I chose the cleanest. I could understand if the place were busy, but it was around 3pm and there were only two other dining parties outside. There were no lines when I placed my order. It would have taken a quick moment for someone to wipe down the tables after the patrons left. My lunch arrived quickly. I choose the half sandwich and half green salad deal for around $7.50. The sandwich had real turkey slices, tomato, lettuce, cheese and mayo on homemade bread. The cashier suggested a raspberry walnut dressing, which was outstanding and the salad ingredients, though simple, were very fresh. This light little meal in a quaint quiet outdoor sitting area hit the spot. I just wish the staff had paid closer attention to putting a dishcloth to use.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Metropole

Reviewed 28 September 2013

If you like a good cinnamon roll and coffee in the morning for a quick breakfast, they have an excellent one piled high with sweet goodness.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Fresh food and wonderful staff! Their prices are typical and not too pricey. They have lots of veggie options and drink options. They are a healthier place to choose from on the island.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My college-age grandson and I had a delightful lunch at this restaurant. My shrimp and avocado salad was terrific with a house made original dressing. It has a nice courtyard to eat outside. It is very casual with a serve yourself atmosphere. Probably not a good place for families with small children but we really enjoyed our meal there. The day we were there, a musician was playing the guitar which added a very nice touch to the courtyard atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The food was good, but pricey for what it is. The iced tea was the highlight. It was delicious. I wish I had a glass right now.