“Girls Getaway 2011”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Cedar Hill, Texas
“Girls Getaway 2011”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

This year I hosted my girls getaway in Catalina Island and stayed at the Aurora Hotel. Diana Singer was simply wonderful. She help me plan the perfect vacation for 18 crazy girls that just wanted to have fun, relax and enjoy great company. The hotel was great. The rooms were perfect! My oceanview room #311 was amazing. The breeze felt good during the night and early morning. I particularly enjoyed the mornings and evenings on the rooftop! What a way to relax and sip a glass of wine....We had some of the best conversations. I hosted a surprise bridal shower and the hotel staff accommodated our every need. THE AURORA HOTEL AND STAFF ROCK!!!! I am definitely going back.

Room Tip: To really enjoy your visit be sure to get an oceanview room. There is nothing like the ocean breeze...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Alliance, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We had the Aurora sweet and it was wonderful. The room was huge and had it's own private deck and was definately worth the money. The shower was huge and felt great after sea treking and zip lining. The private deck had a beautiful view which we enjoyed every morning. They had a nice breakfast that we brought up to our rooms dining room table (it was easy since the room had a it's own private entry). We enjoyed a nice breakfast overlooking the ocean. And the bed was amazingly comfortable. The room was very clean and spacious we loved the fireplace. Yes, the hotel is located on a hill, but since I am 25 and my husband was 29 we didn't have a problem with it at all. Diana who worked at the hotel was incredible. She was so friendly and wonderful. We mentioned through conversation that it was our honeymoon. She said well we must do something special for you. She mentioned several options for us to choose from, from bottles of wine to a VIP pass to their country club. We chose the country club and it was absolutely wonderful. We decided to walk to the club since it wasn't far and got a chance to explore the island a little bit. The food at the club was amazing and we got to enjoy live music while we ate outside. That night at the country club was my favorite night of my honeymoon. Thank you Diana!

Room Tip: Aurora sweet is worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank librob11
Carlsbad, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I hated the cost of our two nights stay. I liked the room amenities and the location.

Our room cost top dollar, but had the best bay view from the small balcony. I enjoyed watching the town wake up on Sunday morning. The room was not large, but comfortable. Most of the other rooms seemed to have poor or no views.
The hotel has a pleasant open rooftop area, overlooking the bay. Great for breakfast.
Considering the expensive nature of this hotel, the breakfast offerings at the lobby buffet, were pretty meager, and with no elevator it is a bit of a hassle to carry the food up two floors to the roof area. Most guests seemed not to bother.
The hotel matches the "boutique" description. It has a good location, not too far from the center, and not too far uphill. It needs a bit of freshening up, (like new carpets on the stairs), Service likewise, needs a bit of a jolt.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
I’m sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to expectations, but glad you enjoyed the view and the boutique atmosphere at Aurora. Elevators on the island are a complicated proposition and that is not something we are able to offer. We have discussed your comment about service at our staff meeting and we’re hopeful that will be the jolt to which you were referring.
Simi Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Booked hotel on line- and room booked was the actual spa room! The hotel was sold out but kept my Couples Massage appointment for my husband's birthday. Arrive at hotel- after waiting 15 minutes- they don't have the appointments. Just unacceptable! Let's be professional and get something right!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
I'm sorry to hear your experience with us was so frustrating for you. Unfortunately a computer error led to the reservation difficulty; thankfully we were able to contact you quickly to let you know of the problem. I also apologize for the trouble with your spa service, this is not the way we do business and we have worked with our spa vendor to ensure this does not happen again. Once again please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

My girlfriend and I had a blast! The hotel itself was well appointed, and the beds were awesome! Diana, one of the reps, had a great personality and was a pleasure to work with! Out of all the hotels we been to, she gave the best customer service! We definately will be back next year!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank robinproper
Glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed yourselves. Diana is a wonderful part of our staff and we're glad she was able to make your visit to the island something special. See you next year.
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

My wife and I vacationed for our first time in Avalon last year. Based on the hotels listed on-line, this one seemed to be among the best the island had to offer, and when we arrived, we weren’t disappointed.

The hotel is placed up a hill towards the west part of town. If you had too much to drink at the Italian restaurant just down the street, or you’re not in great physical shape, walking back up to your room could pose a bit of a problem. The climb is perfectly fine for people under the age of 50 though in relatively good shape.

The hotel is decorated using modern-type furniture, and appears to be a bit small. There really isn’t any lobby to speak of, but in that area, they are able to supply a continental-style breakfast for the guests. The staff is very helpful arranging things to do while on the island, including setting up a massage.

Our room was a bit small, and the ocean view was only a partial one, but the room was clean. The shower head actual flew off during my shower, but a maintenance man came within an hour to glue it back on.

We’d definitely visit the Aurora Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad to hear our staff was helpful and I've shared your compliments with them. We're looking forward to welcoming you back.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for a wedding - rooms were nice, free breakfast, free wifi, and polite staff. I would definitely recommend it. They have a two-night minimum on weekend stays.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Hope the wedding was wonderful.