“Wonderful experience!”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Yuma
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Rooms were nice and so were clean and modern. Rooms were small but had amenities such as fridge and microwave and a Kurig coffee maker. We stayed in room 313 and the view was incredible as well as the view from roof top deck. There is a Von's within walking distance. Go buy your drink of choice and appetizer and enjoy the view! We got a package that included a couples massage, it was wonderful!

Room Tip: Pillows were not great.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunkissed0704

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 14 June 2012

The hotel is clean and up to date. However, be advised THE WALLS ARE VERY THIN. During my stay I heard other guests talking on the phone, taking showers, and even going to the bathroom (kinda gross). Also, be advised there is no elevator, so pack light if you're on the 3rd floor. Additionally, the rooms are extremely small, about the size of an inside state room on a cruise ship. Take advantage of the sun deck.. the view is beautiful!

On a more positive note; The staff here is professional, kind and helpful, and the breakfast is clean and fresh.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank M W
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed in Aurora's Standard Room with no view, room 316, for one night on May 23, 2012. Check-in was not till 3pm, but we were lucky to have our room ready when we arrived which was like 10:15am. Although the room is described as no view, the room we stayed in had a small balcony you can step out into with a glass railing (not big enough to stand on, but not big enough to put a chair out there). The view we got from there was pretty much the hill side and view of the properties, but it was okay, cause all we had to do was step out of our room and walk a short distance down the hall, and you have a perfect view of the ocean from the roof deck.

Roof Deck: Beautiful View of Ocean. The roof deck closes at 10pm, but I believe they politely asked us to continue our conversation else where, only when we started to get a little loud. My boyfriend and I were on the deck with another person talking away past 10pm, and even when they were ready to ask us to leave, they gaved us about another 10, 15 minutes to let us finish up our conversation, which I thought was very nice. They only seem to kick you out to respect sleeping neighbors and possible hotel guests, which is totally understandable.

The hotel also allows you to relax on the roof deck on your last day until your boat is ready to leave, and they will hold your bags so you don't have to carry them around all day. Check out is at 11am.

Noise: My boyfriend and I are 27 and 28 and probably the noisest in the building.Hopefully, we didn't disturb anyone. It seems the walls are a bit thin, but I think most of the noises I heard was from the hallway, mostly from people coming in and out of their rooms. As far as any noise from outside, we didn't really hear any, the area was extremely quiet, it could be because it was only a Tuesday night.

Amenities: Queen size tempurpedic bed was very comfortable. Sheets were clean. Room mini-refridgerator inlcuded only two complimentary water bottles, which was perfect for the drinks we brought back from home. Flat scereen television was nice, and we checked out two free movies from the lobby. We didn't try the Keurig coffe maker because we aren't coffee drinkers, but they had an assortment of flavors to choose from. Air conditioner took a short while to kick in, but worked just fine. And the the heater worked just as well. Ice Machine found in Lobby.

Bathroom: Small. Shower area was very small. It reminded me of a cruiseship shower, a tad bigger then a cruise ship shower, at least for the ones I've been in which were usually the smallest of the cruiseline state rooms. It was very clean. The towels were clean, although one towel was not as white as another towel, it didn't mean it wasn't clean. But I'm not picky, I know it's not that easy to get towels super white. It was clean and usable. The sliding doors of the restroom I thought was neat. Someone I believe had posted a review saying it doesn't give you any privacy, I totally disagree. When my boyfriend was in there, with the light on and sliding doors closed, I could only see shadows. I couldn't really see him, unless you go right up to the door, but even then hard to see through.

Location: The Island is small, so everything is close by. It was a short walk from where we boarded off when landing on Catalina Island. The hotel is closer to the Casino then some of the other hotels, such as Avalon and Mac Rae. It was up a hill, but my boyfriend and I are young and workout about 3 times a day, so for us, it was nothing.

Continental breakfast: Orange juice, coffee, english muffins, bluberry muffins, scones, strawberries, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, jelly, butter, and etc. Not bad for coninental breakfast, simple and good.

Overall, hotel is clean, modern, looks pretty much like the pictures, the price was the best I found without giving up comfort and look of place. I did a lot of research and compared almost every hotel on the Island. The cheaper hotels seemed to have outdated rooms and not the best reviews. Although the look of the place is a modern, it adds to the experience, and I wanted to make this trip special since it was for my boyfriend's birthday. I paid a little extra, but not as much as I would have at another hotel like Avalon, Hotel Vista Del Mar, Pavillion, and Sung Harbor Inn. Yes, those hotels might offer a little more like afternoon wine and cheese, and etc, but your also paying the price for it. I was on a budget, so I decided I could just bring my own and not pay the extra $25 -$100 for those extra perks. I did the math. I would definetly stay at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lunacy23
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This hotel was great. The staff was all amazing (Melissa was so nice and helpful). The rooms/ bathrooms are small but are just what you need. The hotel is modern and well put together. The rooms have very comfortable beds and great views. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning that is a great way to start your day in Catalina. When we return we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 313 is the best in the hotel. Second choice would be 213.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scott M
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Aurora Hotel. Room was adorable.[quaint] View out to the water was amazing. Took our breakfast up to the outside deck....beautiful to look out over the town & the water. So quiet. Great loacation. Could walk to the water,shops,restaurants,coffee shops. We will be back to Catalina Island and will be staying at the Aurora Hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annlee_12
San Diego,CA
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Enjoyed room 213 with a view of Avalon Harbor and the village. The room was small but very well apponted with all you'd need. However, this room is on the corner of the building and a main street goes right by. Traffick until 8pm ish was disturbing as was the morning 7am traffick of golf carts,ect. I'm sure an alternate roon would be just fine as I'm a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Go to Catilina express web site for package deals of boat,room and taxi. Optional spa deals too!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sendlog
Oxnard
Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

I bought the couple special for my boyfriend and I which included the hot towels, hot stones, clay mask, door talent, facial, and body scrub. All was for only $275 dollars. 90 minutes of pure bliss. Melinda's hands were amazing. The whole experience was great. Great customer service.

Stayed April 2012