“AUROWHATTT!!!! SUPER AWESOME!!!”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We get to the hotel and we first see the doors open automatically, and we're like, wow! Its not that we haven't seen doors open automatically, its just being on Catalina Island its a huge thing to us. We are then greeted by cool humor, kind, generous employees of AUROWHATTT!!! They are really sweet and nice and the best part they upgraded us to a great ocean view suite. I had a cake delivered to our room by JULIOS BAKERY and the front desk gave us plates, forks, and cake cutter so we can enjoy my girls B-day cake. All around great style and great clean rooms. THANK YOU Aurora hotel employees. You made our experience memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woalf

Reviewed 5 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here a few days for our honeymoon. The Aurora Hotel is not a bed and breakfast by traditional standards, but more a b&b style hotel. They have laptops, GPSrs, and binoculars for guests to borrow. We borrowed a laptop during our stay so we could watch stuff on Netflix, and they had no problem letting us hold onto it for our entire stay. The breakfast consists of bagels, toast, pastries, cereal, orange juice, fruit, oatmeal, coffee, and yogurt. There is a rooftop balcony with a nice view that you can use at your leisure.

We stayed in a standard ocean-view room. It's a little small (I think under 200 square feet) but designed very well. Everything is there and accessible in the room including memory foam bed, microwave, mini-fridge, Kuerig coffee maker (very cool), comfy robes, dimming lights, thermostat, flatscreen TV, DVD player, and bathroom. There is definitely not room for more than two people. The room is more suited for romantic couples as the bathroom door is made of sliding opaque glass and does not lock.

Be aware that the hotel is up a bit of a hill. That was no problem for us since we're young and we preferred having a hotel that was up and away from the noise of busy street. It also makes for fantastic views both during the day and at night.

The Innkeeper was very helpful; I called to book a room and he helped answer my questions and helped me pick a room that was suited to us. He explained that the room we picked had a very nice balcony, even though the website didn't list it had one.

We're both very satisfied with our stay at the Aurora hotel.

Room Tip: Call and ask which rooms have a balcony; they don't list all of them on their website
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank name332
Reviewed 28 December 2012

If you are looking for a stylish place with nice accomodations in Avalon, this is your place. The chic decor and friendly staff are welcoming. Rooms are a tad small, but larger than a European style room. Small kitchenette offers a Kuereg style coffee maker with multiple choices, a refrigerator, and a microwave. Tempur-Pedic mattresses are nice if you like that style. The shower is a smidge small, but workable.

There is a fantastic rooftop area perfect for wine with a great view of Avalan bay.
Wine and cheese reception on Friday night was a nice touch.

The staff were very helpful and assisted with dinner and tour choices.
One thing though, this is a little bit of a hike from the Catalina Flyer landing. It isn't bad until the last 80 yards uphill. Fine for me and my teenagers, but if you're out of shape, take your time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TheParrothead
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during the Jazz Festival weekend - we had some much fun on that gorgeous rooftop and met so many new friends - it was amazing. The staff, James Blunt 007.5 was awesome and Melissa and all the other staff were great as well. We've already booked our room for next year's event along with our new found friends we met at the hotel. Our room was beautiful - the view was to die for. I highly recommend this hotel - loved it!!!!!

Room Tip: room 213 has a great view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank poohpooh21
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Aurora Hotel this past weekend and had a very nice stay. We walked to the hotel right after getting off the ferry with the intention of dropping off our bags and exploring the area until check in time. A note about the walk - my husband and I are both active people and spent the entire weekend on foot. The walk is not far and we did not perceive the hill to be problematic, as others have noted. We arrived at the hotel around noon and were pleasantly greeted by Melissa, who was wonderful throughout our stay. We were thrilled to find out that we received a free upgrade to a partial ocean view room and that it was ready! She offered us help with our baggage and walked us up to the room. We stayed in room 211. The room was small, but comfortable. The room had some minor wear and tear (scuffed furniture, worn desk chair, peeling paint and rust around the bathroom window), but was very clean. Like other reviewers have said, the bathroom does not provide much for sound privacy due to the sliding glass doors. In general, the walls of the hotel are thin - we could hear the conversation of those in the next room and in the hallways, but it was quiet while we slept, so it didn't bother us. The continental breakfast and Keurig coffee were nice and we especially enjoyed the wine and cheese event on Friday evening. We loved the rooftop deck! Overall, we'd stay there again. Thank you for a wonderful time!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKLG10
Reviewed 5 November 2012

You heard it right- the day my group was leaving, while running our bags down to the dock for departure, a case disappeared from the lobby. That morning, a number of construction workers came through to eat at the breakfast spread in the lobby, which I thought was kind of unusual for a nice hotel. So, keep a sharp eye on your stuff. The hotel room was great. The bay side view is beautiful. There's a residence adjacent to the balconies, and you can hear all the drama of their daily lives. It's like a reality show of a wedding planner. Some might be put off, but I thought it was great! It gave the place a dose of much-needed character. Despite the theft, I would stay here again, as long as I had a nice view of the bay from my room. Staff is really nice, the property is in excellent shape and there's a rooftop lounge that can't be beat.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, ask for a bay-side room, which may cost more.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank pete v
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I were guests at the Aurora hotel during the JazzTrax Festival; the third weekend of October, 2012. James Blunt, our inkeeper, and Angela were absolutely fantastic. They met our every need, no matter how big or small with nothing but enthusiam each time, which made our stay more than wonderful. Our stay in jr suite, room 218 included a jacuzzi tub, eating/sitting area, keurig coffee maker-very roomy. Even though our room did not have a view we did not miss anything; the roof top lounge had an absolutely gorgeous view and we found ourselves up there relaxing with a glass of wine and conversating with newly met friends. The Aurora is located a up a steep hill so if you don't like walking we would suggest the Avalon. We already made our reservation for next year; just a note it is worth the extra money for the Jr Suite-218 no view & 210 partial view. Thanks, again, James & Angela-see you next year.
Raymond & Debbie Jones

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
swccatalina, Public Relations Manager at Aurora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Glad to hear you had a great time and that you've already made your reservations for next year. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.