“Auroramaazzzing!!”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California
“Auroramaazzzing!!”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Catalina island is breathtaking enough, but to have the hospitality and warmth that we received at Aurora Hotel, was exquisite. We took a 2-night vacation to get off the mainland and from our reality, and let me tell you it was very, very, VERY hard to leave the island and our new favorite hotel the Aurora!

The location was perfect being only a block away from the water and some of the finest restaurants and shops, but the staff here puts this hotel over the top! Lana was more than accommodating to us, by helping us make the most of our short stay. Thank you Lana for your incredible recommendations, service and hospitality!!

The rooms are pristine, clean, and have all that you require, whether just a place to sleep or whether you want to spend the night inside alone. The rooftop deck offers comfort with multiple lounge chairs, sofas and amazing views of the Avalon bay. The complimentary continental breakfast was more than satisfying with bagels, muffins, cinnamon rolls, scones, mmm just thinking about it makes me hungry! When we go back to Catalina we will stay only here at Aurora!

Thank you to the entire staff for making this short trip turn into a very much needed tropical, paradise getaway!

Room Tip: Junior suites/partial ocean view is definitely the way to go!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Not reading any reviews, and with many choices of places to stay, I decided to just start calling and figure out which location seemed to be best for my wife and I to enjoy a get away, simply by a persons voice. Yes in todays computer age, where it can be difficult to actually talk to a person, I think it can say a great deal of how things could go. And not just a voice, but time on hold, care for our traveling concerns, not feeling rushed, and/or options that maybe were not in plain site. There were several great places I'd called and who were quite professional, however, the AURORA seem to stand out just a bit more, and my wife and I were not at all let down by that choice! In planning our stay, our original reservation was booked through Diana. That set the tone for one of the reasons we booked the AURORA. I had room 213 in mind, she recommended one floor up, room 313, and that was a win! It's a corner room, so the view is great and seating on the balcony was nice to have as well. And still close to the roof top seating area. I called back on two occasions with questions, one of which was having flowers and champagne in the room when we arrived. My questions and request for flowers and champagne were handled just as professionally and with as much confidence that it was handled, by Lana Unatin. Both ladies were also present at our checkin, as was another staffer, Richard, who was just as helpful and professional, so NO calling center. They take care of you start to finish, like, HOW IT SHOULD BE......but that's my opinion. Stay here, I'm confident you'll expirience it! The Aurora is about 100yards of the main street, so everything was quick to get to, and still we felt of the grid for an already small community. The staff even entertained our request to have our own wine tasting on the roof top and invite the other guest! We told them our idea, they let hotel guest know, and offered assistance where they could help, it was AWESOME!! And sould any of the staff see this post, HEY Diana and Lana, THANK YOU!! We're looking forward to our next stay!!

Room Tip: I recommend top floor ocean view. But ocean view or not, taek advantage of the roof top seating. We...
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Second time staying here...both great overall experiences! This time we opted for the couples massage. We will definitely do that again! Close proximity to shops and restaurants and make sure to check out the roof top deck...amazing views! great continental breakfast. Wonderful hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
Orange, California
Reviewed 20 March 2013

There was a bit of miscommunication about my reservation but the staff was outstanding, jumped right in and straightened everything out. They really went above and beyond and have all been so nice and helpful. Thank you Diana, Rock and Richard I truely appreciate you exceeding my expectations and I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hampton, Iowa
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was a lovely, cozy hotel. My husband and I were visiting California and decided on the spur of the moment to take a trip to Catalina Island. Diana gave us an exceptional deal and even upgraded us to an ocean-view room. We were impressed with all staff and amenities, which included a delicious continential breakfast. We hope to get back to the island again someday and stay at the Aurora Hotel.

Brea, California
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were in room 213 so we had a view of the ocean but it was a standard room and was quite small. We didn't spend too much time in there so it didn't matter too much. Walking up the hill does suck but it is a great hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We get to the hotel and we first see the doors open automatically, and we're like, wow! Its not that we haven't seen doors open automatically, its just being on Catalina Island its a huge thing to us. We are then greeted by cool humor, kind, generous employees of AUROWHATTT!!! They are really sweet and nice and the best part they upgraded us to a great ocean view suite. I had a cake delivered to our room by JULIOS BAKERY and the front desk gave us plates, forks, and cake cutter so we can enjoy my girls B-day cake. All around great style and great clean rooms. THANK YOU Aurora hotel employees. You made our experience memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple