“Denise is awesome”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Irvine, California
“Denise is awesome”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I did a two day one night stay at this hotel at the end of the 2013 season, day after labor day. My husband, and another couple were very surprised how wonderful our stay was. While the hotel itself is not the biggest size, (Your on an island) every amenity was considered in the rooms while not wasting an inch of space.

The SPA service was one of the best we have ever had, the front desk was willing to work with us while we had our massage on the day of our departure and the staff of the hotel were amazing and helpful. From Champagne glasses on the outdoor patio to a ride up the hill on a late night this hotel surprised us at every turn with their smiles, great attitude and keen eye for service. After two days and a single night I could not believe how relaxed I felt, for the little break in reality the Aurora provided.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

First of all Catalina Island is so much fun. My husband and I stayed for three nights in August at the Aurora Inn. The staff was amazing and the hotel was so cute and modern. The rooftop deck was a great place to relax with a great view. we had a small balcony off our room with an ocean view. Being up the hill was nice because it was very quiet at night but walking up the hill was another story that we still laugh about. It really proved to us that we need to exercise more. LOL All in all the Aurora Hotel is a great place to stay and I would recommend it. Thanks Aurora for a great weekend.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 213 with a balcony and ocean view.
Mendoza, Argentina
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights to celebrate our 25 th wedding anniversary. We had never been to Catalina before and loved it. The Aurora was very nice, loved the modern decor. The beds were very comfortable and even tho the rooms are small, it was perfect for us. The outdoor deck was wonderful to have a drink and watch the sunset over the harbor. We even had an ocean view from our room. The staff was more than accommodating. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and the hotel is on a hill, so it might be difficult for some people to get up...
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I were here for a night and absolutely loved this gem. The room was georgeous along with the roof top deck to relax and have a bitle of champagne. Michelle was exellant with suggestions of what to do for the day, from kayaking and where to rent at to the electric bikes instead of renting a golf cart. They made great suggestions and even made us reservations for a birthday dinner. A shout out to Rich also for excellent help.
2 recommendations

1: descanso Brch club before 10am has a half day kayak rental for $78. This includes a double kayak, two wetsuits, set of two snorkel gear,ice chest, dry bag for 4 hours. Great deal considering the kayak for 2 hours is $58.

2: rent the electric bikes, they do all of what the golf cart can do with little to no effort. They even pass the golf carts up the massive hills.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the lovely Aurora Hotel. This stylish modern boutique hotel won us over from the start. Richard and Diana were wonderful to work with on booking - and since we booked two weeks out from our trip, finding accommodations was not easy as the town was quite booked up this time of year. Richard was kind and quick to help with reservation, taxi transfer and even with room choice. We brought our mountain bikes along for the trip and Richard had a place to keep them secure overnight. Plus for our anniversary, a nice bottle of Prosecco on ice to help us celebrate! (BTW - the hotel bottle prices are very reasonable if you wish to purchase, only $20 for the bottle)
The Aurora is located on the north side of the small town, excellent proximity to the Descanso beach club and the casino. It is located about 500 yards up on the hillside and its a simple 5 minute walk to everything in the main area and the plaza. The lobby is a sleek and modern design with a hearty continental breakfast served from 7 to 1030 which includes yummy hard boiled eggs, baked goods, healthy cereal options and a very nice coffee bar - much appreciation for the extended service time!
The rooftop patio is charming, well appointed and has a great view of the entire town, marina and ocean. Grab your breakfast and head up there to greet the day.

The complaints here about the room being too bright seems a bit petty to me - the window into the bathroom is 4 foot by 3 food frosted glass of the reef life - its a nice room divider and the rest of the room stays quite dark. The second floor rooms have some views of the harbor and certainly the 3rd floor does. Plus the roof top is mostly private if you want to sit and look at the unobstructed view - but really, you are in Catalina, get out of your room and go BE part of the view and enjoy it !!

For the price, location and amenities, its a great deal.

Room Tip: We had room 210 - was excellent partial view.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Wonderful and most comfortable! My husband and I stayed at Aurora Hotel for two nights just this past weekend. The staff is amazing and caring. When I booked the hotel, Diana helped me choose the best package for our stay. Richard ordered a nice gladiolus bouquet for me, which is a birthday gift for my husband. We also received a complimentary bottle of wine as the birthday treat. The room is a little bit small, but very clean, comfy and well-maintained. Don't miss the rooftop deck! We love this hotel and will come back next year!

2 Thank JessZ2013
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed in the Aurora Hotel back in July 2012 for my honeymoon and I must say that considering the kind of hotels available that this was one of the nicer looking ones. Yes, this hotel is located up a hill but almost all of the hotels are, if need be bring a pair of walking shoes with you to walk up and down the hill, I did ! We stayed in a standard size room which was able to accommodate the 2 of us. Keep in mind, rooms on the island are small so I will use the words "accommodating in size" very carefully, the bathroom is also small but this is to be expected on the island. Our room was facing the ocean so every morning we woke up to an absolutely beautiful sunrise and at night we were able to see the beautiful lighted mountain view. The hotel provides a complimentary breakfast every morning which is not bad at all considering the high price of the awful food on the island. My husband and I ate the free breakfast at the hotel every morning we were there which included hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, grapes, strawberries, juice, coffee, muffins and other pastries, I also observed a decent bit of guests also having breakfast every morning from the which speaks for itself. I really liked the fact that the hotel mattresses were memory foam because I slept like a baby every night, no joke ,8 hours of REM sleep every night so that every morning that I woke up I was completely refreshed and energized. The hotel does provide a couples or single massage by reservation. There was availability so my husband and I booked a couples massage in the hotel and OMG!!! Their masseuses were wonderful, my husband fell asleep after the first 15 minutes of the massage and I left super drowsy because the massage was so relaxing that I too almost fell asleep, I did not know that there were so many places on the body that could feel that good/relaxed. I really enjoyed the upper deck patio as well, at night you can see the beautiful lighted view of the entire front of the island from this deck and one night we even saw a deer grazing a nearby street. The deck has chairs, a couch and a small cabana to relax in, please visit the deck if you stay in this hotel. Customer service was great all the way from the booking, to the check-in and to accommodations and the staff were very friendly. I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I return to the island- no regrets !

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean and main street of the Island !!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple