“great place”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Maur, Switzerland
“great place”
Reviewed 18 October 2009

This is an absolutely lovely hotel, we stayed here for 6 days and there was absolutely nothing that was wrong or bad managed. Very friendly personnel and a great view of Avalon from the rooftop! We're coming back again

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 September 2009

So my new husband and I decided we wanted to go to Catalina Island for our honeymoon. After a reservation at a different hotel fell through, we found this hotel on TripAdvisor. Not only was the rate better, the pictures were so much more promising. First off, it's too far to walk from the ferry if you have med-heavy baggage, so just get a cab. There's a ton, they know right where to go, and get you there QUICK! Turns out, it wasn't quickly enough. On the website, they had options to have little extras in the room for us. I chose the half dozen chocolate covered strawberries. Yummy! They also had champagne and rose options! You can also purchase your ferry ticket as part of a package through the hotel, at no extra charge. So our first night there, we asked the guy at the desk for the best place to go to eat. He recommended the Lobster Trap! Great food and drinks at really reasonable prices! The hotel has a spa on site that I took advantage of. The gal who runs it, runs it out of a modified junior suite. She is beyond talented! I asked for a scalp and foot treatment (because the 1st part of they honeymoon was in disneyland, and I was SORE from 4 days of non-stop walking) and she added a 20 min massage on top of it! The continental breakfast was so fresh I thought I heard chickens clucking in the back! And each room has a Krups individual coffee maker and they have a ton of flavors. I enjoyed the Caramel Vanilla a LOT! I had three or four cups a day! And regardless of who was at the desk, every time my husband and I came down the steps, whoever was at the desk greeted us with a big smile and asked about how we were enjoying everything. The topper? An awesome sun deck with an AMAZING view and a ton of comfy places to sit! A great place to eat breakfast, have a noon snooze or start happy hour! We will be going back at least once a year, and we have no plans to change where we stay!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Better than expected from the start! We got off the Catalina Express and they had a taxi waiting for us as part of the package deal they have on their website for $800 for 3 nights, which includes the boat ride over and a taxi. Note: I would advise anyone to take a taxi if possible, as the walk to the hotel is not that far but rather steep and we had 4 bags total.

Upon entrance into this recently redesigned hotel, we were impressed with the decor and cleanliness as well as the helpful staff. The concierge's name was Ruben and was more than helpful. He helped us with our bags to our room, recommended great places to eat, activities to do, and sights to see. Ruben's recommendations definitely made the most of our trip!

We ended up upgrading our regular room to a junior suite due to vacancy and it was one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in (I've stayed at the Ritz and a few five star hotels). Great views, size, closet space to unpack, comfortable tempurpedic bed, awesome lights with dimming switches, great curtains to block out the light if you want to sleep in, desk space for computer, free WiFi, couch/sofa in room, make up mirror outside of bathroom with lights, awesome jetted tub and bathroom, comfy robes provided, large flat screen TV on a swinging arm that we watched DVD's on at night free of charge, provided by the hotel.

The location was just a short walk down to the main street where most of the restaurants and activities/shops/tours are located and we enjoyed being away from everything when we wanted to be. We had a great view from our room and enjoyed the roof deck where you can cuddle on the sofas/lounge chairs and watch the sunset. Make sure to bring some champaign up there if you are with someone special. Great place to hang out while waiting for others in your group to finish getting ready, etc.

We looked at a few other hotels to stay at and this one caught our eye based upon the modern/contemporary/clean look and we weren't disappointed.

Our trip was filled with many tours and activity and we always looked forward to retiring to this awesome, clean, helpful, and highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greedyeee
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My wife and I LOVED this hotel. It's up the street a few yards from the busy shopping area, which is perfect. Nice and quiet, rooms were spectacular and neat, and room service was top notch. I even loved the coffee machine and coffee supplied in the room. Staff was very friendly and courteous and funny! Top floor has entrance to a sun deck, where the views are amazing, and there's a covered lounging area perfect for reading or napping. A simple continental breakfast each morning was elegant and tasty. The restaurants and shopping are literally a few steps away down to the main streets. LOVED IT!!

1 Thank lizardsong
California
Reviewed 3 August 2009

From the minute we arrived, the staff at the Aurora was extremely friendly and helpful - offering up great tips on where to eat, which beach was less crowded, hiking options, etc. Although our room was small (perfectly comfortable for 2 adults, but not much more than that) it was nicely appointed with a coffee maker, fridge, microwave, dvd player, a huge tv, and a queen size bed. We slept great during our stay thanks to the tempurpedic mattress and double-paned windows (couldn't hear a peep with them closed even with construction going on down the street). The continental breakfast was really good (lots of choices). If you have a chance, grab your breakfast and head up to the roof deck, it has a great view and is so peaceful. I highly recommend staying at there.

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I selected the hotel based on reviews and the fact that it was fairly newly refurbished. Not much of a warm greeting as you would expect from a hotel where you're paying $400 bucks a night. The two non-plussed female employees seemed more concerned with their routine than with how they could accommodate us. I had asked one of them if they had a larger container for ice for the two bottles of champagne I brought. She just shook her head and said, 'no'. So I asked if she could take a look and she said she didn't know what I wanted her to do. I said I was sure she'd figure something out.
When I went downstairs (2nd floor ice machine is broken) to get ice, the other female employee was indeed filling up a larger container. But, there had been no communication that they were taking care of things. And their attitudes clearly indicated that they didn't want to.

The air conditioning fan didn't blow a strong current of air and when we asked about it they never followed up. The air did cool the room, and I think that unit is designed to have a low flow of air, but the employees should know that and communicate that to the guest.

Upon check out; in the morning - after standing at the counter waiting for 2 workers to finish their conversation before acknowledging I was standing there - I asked about having our baggage brought to the ferry. The girl told me they can take care of that - and if the baggage service transporters are busy, she assured me they make it clear they have guests who are checking out and headed to the ferry. Well, upon check out, a different girl was at the counter, called baggage service 4 times and told us there was no answer. We asked her to call us a taxi.

When the taxi driver dropped us off he was surprised we hadn't gotten a taxi voucher as he stated, 'they always give taxi vouchers to their guests'.

Very apathetic attitude they have there.

Our friends stayed at Metropole for 1/2 the price, much bigger room with a fireplace - and I have to assume better service because you really can't get much worse than the service at the Aurora Hotel.

3 Thank Patuli
TheAvalonHotel, owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I am sorry our service and accommodations did not meet your expectations.
This is the first request we have had for a single ice bucket to hold two bottles of champagne and I am sorry that the offer of an additional ice bucket did not meet your needs. Our staff hoped to accommodate you by bringing an alternative to you, I am sorry that this fact was not communicated in a timely manner.
We are waiting on a quieter motor for our second floor ice machine and we are at the mercy of the parts company at this time. If we are unable to get a quieter fan motor we will be removing this piece of equipment. I am sorry the lack of an additional ice machine negatively impacted your stay with us.

This is the first complaint about our air conditioners being too quiet. Yes, they are new and very quiet.
We will continue to evaluate the service provided by the baggage company.
This independent company provides a service on the island that many of our guests find helpful.
We do not include taxi service except with some pre-paid packages. We have already contacted the taxi service to ensure their drivers are aware of this fact.
We also will continue to impress on our innkeepers the importance of communication with each other so they can respond more quickly to the needs of each person. We have already had a meeting to discuss your perception of a bad experience at our property and what could have been done to prevent such an experience in the future.
I truly am sorry we were unable to meet your needs and hope you do try another property on Catalina Island in the future. We have done our best to communicate on our websites what we can offer to our guests and I apologize that we were not a match for each other.

Thanks,

Kathleen Gosselin
Southern California
Reviewed 1 July 2009

First, if you have luggage, you might want to get a taxi to the hotel because it's rough pulling suitcases up the hill. The service at the hotel was great. We were even personally shown to our room. We loved the modern style of the decor and the aqua and brown pairings. Our room (211) was described as having a partial ocean view, but the view was actually much better than we expected.

Warning: the room is very small, as is the bathroom (especially the sink and the shower). Yet, the room has a bed, desk, television, night stands, microwave, and refrigerator and still doesn't feel cramped. We thought the small space was worth it, though, because the bed is by far the most comfortable we have ever encountered in a hotel. We had a very restful night's sleep. The hotel also provides extremely soft and comfortable robes (which are available for purchase, but we didn't ask the price). The rooftop deck is spacious and has many cushioned seats.

We happened to have a drunken fighting couple staying on our floor, so we did hear some yelling during the night. But we've encountered this at practically every hotel, even the most expensive ones.

The continental breakfast had everything we expected: cereals, danishes, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juice, milk. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but it was tasty and saved us from having to go out and pay for breakfast.

The location of the hotel is pretty convenient. It's a short walk to the Casino building and the main street with shops and restaurants. It's almost at the opposite end of the harbor from where the daily boats dock--a nice walk that can seem longer with suitcases. If you have a lot of luggage, I recommend a taxi (also because of the hill mentioned above).

I think that if you are planning on sightseeing during the day and want a cozy place to rest at night, this is a great choice. If you are planning on spending a lot of time in the room, its small quarters could bother you. We would definitely return to the Aurora Hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple