La Paloma Cottages Las Flores
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$268
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$279
US$346
Hotels.com
US$164
US$154
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$170
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
El Terado Terrace(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$122
Hotwire.com
Hotel Mac Rae(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$145
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe cottagesapartment styleroom apartmentsunny lanesmall kitchenetteelectric fireplacehot watertwo nightsuphill walkcoffee and orange juicetour plazavons expresswould definitely stay here againnothing fancythe main dragprivate balconytook advantage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The management at this hotel was fantastic. They provided a pack and play for our daughter to sleep in, let us check out late on Sunday, and then stored our luggage for us until our Ferry left at 7pm. The rooms were clean and neat. The beds are really hard though, but it was only two nights so we didn't mind. I loved the location close enough to be a short walk to everything, but tucked far enough back to have some peace and quiet. The little garden/patio area outside our room was really nice too. We stayed in A.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank alicai
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We rented Unit 12 for a nice weekend on Catalina. We checked in quickly and received our room key. First thing we noticed when we walked in was the super low drop ceilings. My friend is 6'2" and he almost touched. The living room (Maybe 12' x 12') had two small single beds, a tube style TV on a cabinet stand, a small kitchen table, 4 chairs and a dresser with mirror. The floor was a nice looking pine wood floor, probably a recent addition. The Bathroom was thru a small doom off the side of the living room. It had the appearance of an attempt at renovation but it came off as a strange mix of old and new. The Toilet was recessed back in a corner, making it very difficult to sit and... wipe.. If you get my drift! The shower was super tiny and oddly tiled, kind of like they tiled over older tile. The Kitchen (if you can call it that) contained a mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster and a sink. The cabinets were old and very difficult to open, but they eventually revealed a small collection of plates, cups and utensils. The Main bedroom had a queen bed, small door-less closet and small TV. My initial impression upon sitting on the bed was "Is this a rock or a mattress) but no biggy. We dropped off our bags, turned the AC up all the way and returned to the harbor for dinner. When we returned at 9 Pm the living room was nice and chilled. We got ready for bed and jumped in the sack, I got the small bed closest to the AC unit. I immediately noticed how poor the bed quality was. The sheets didn’t fit and the padding was rough, hard and bumpy. The bed creaked loudly every time I rolled over or moved. Still not a big problem for me! About 10 Pm I was awoken to the sounds of singing outside the unit. Apparently all the windows in the unit are the Hawaiian glass panes that tilt rather than seal up tightly, allowing for any and every sound to enter the unit as if the windows were open. The singers then walked past our unit and up the stairs to the unit directly above us. For the next 4 hours I laid in bed unable to ignore the loud pounding of footsteps back and forth across the ceiling. Finally they stopped and I could fall asleep. The next morning I took a shower. During the shower I looked out the window to find myself face to face, eye to eye with a person walking by on the way to his unit. Good thing it wasn’t my wife. After closing the window, the bathroom became a steam room with no vent or fan. We all packed our bags and left the La Paloma as quickly as possible. Never to return again. I guess we would have a more favorable opinion of the hotel if the rate per night was something closer to the quality of the room, something like $59 a night. Definitely not on par with the $270 a night they charged.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nesbittcj
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed there with my significant other for our 5 year anniversary. To start off, when i saw the hotel online, it looked very nice and peaceful. I also did read all the reviews on the restaurants and bars including La Paloma Hotel.
When we arrived to our room after checking in, the first impression was how small it was. Very very small. Not only was the shower gross but the towels had some kind of yellow/brownish stain on it (the stain was pretty large). I also had to use sandals inside the shower because of how filthy the floor looked. The bed was very stiff and the inside bed covers were rough. Oh, and not to forget all the extra blankets and pillows were inside this tiny closets floor (floor was filthy). Lastly, my boyfriend and i were sitting in the kitchen table when he pointed at the plants that were growing out of the wall LOL seriously, there were more then one growing out of the kitchen wall. If you stay in Cottage 2 see how their progress is going (they were about 4 inches long when i stayed there).

PS: Do not stay in Cottage 2
Small
Dirty
Plants were growing out of the kitchen wall

Honestly, for what we paid we could have stayed at a nicer place. I would recommend to see the actual room if you get the opportunity to and from there decide if it’s the right place for you.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bsantana
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I thought this place was extremely cute and cozy. There were beautiful flowers and plants all over and plenty of places to sit outside and enjoy them.

The location is really good. Its just a couple min walk to the beach, restaurants, and stores.

The staff was excelent; they let us check in early, gave us a great package deal including ferry tickets and a bus tour, and were always available.

If you are worried about stairs I would make sure you don't get a room on the top of the steps, they are kinda steep. It was fine for me, and the view is better, but I certaintly don't recommend it for those with trouble going up or down steps. There are rooms at the bottom though.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ajan09
Reviewed 2 December 2010

We spent our Thanksgiving holiday in Catalina, enjoying the clean air, nice hiking, relaxed atmosphere, and the quiet island life. Before going, I went through several potential places to stay, and opted out of some because of their significantly high price and others because their price was so low it made me suspicious about the quality. La Paloma seemed perfect, because at about $180/night (with taxes included), it fell in the middle. The reviews here spoke highly enough that it seemed like the perfect spot. As it were, this is the hardest review I've ever had to write. Usually you either love a place or would never stay there again. This is the first time I can't decide which camp I fall into.

On the plus side, it's in a nice residential area, and walking distance of anywhere you would want to go. The exterior (buildings and grounds) is absolutely beautiful. The courtyard outside of our unit (we stayed in the four-unit building) was breathtaking. If it wasn't in the 30s at night, we would have spent more time out there. The biggest plus of all is that the onsite managers (a husband and wife team) are perhaps the nicest people on the entire planet. And they really want your stay to be great.

On the negative side, my back has never hurt worse after a night of sleep. The granite slab with linen on top is not the best sleeping option for backs over 30. The heater/AC unit was unplugged when we arrived, so I plugged it in not thinking it was unplugged because it was broken. The unit is so old that the knobs no longer function. When I went to take a shower, I was a bit surprised when the shower head fired off it's mount. The place has seen better days, so come knowing it is not luxury. On the good side, they deal with their problems very quickly. The unbelievably nice lady at the desk sent her extremely nice husband to solve the problems, and after about ten minutes the shower was functional and we had a space heater.

I completely agree with a previous reviewer when they said you really don't want to walk barefoot in the place, but I also agree with a previous reviewer that the place has incredible charm. My hope in writing this review is to say that if you go in knowing what the negatives might be (and perhaps we just happened to get a bad room), then you can appreciate how wonderful the positives are.

If you are going for diving, it's not the best location because of the hill and difficulty of getting gear to and from the dock or Casino Point. If you are going for golf, food, and slow pace of Avalon, it's great!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family