“Amazing Customer Service - More than accomodating. Great attitudes.”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Corona, ca
“Amazing Customer Service - More than accomodating. Great attitudes.”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This was mine and my bf's first trip to Catalina and although I'm more of the "roll with the punches, make the most of it" one in the relationship, him not so much. He usually loses sleep if he's not in his own bed. Since I'm always the planner it's hard to book a decent hotel that's not going to break my bank. Baller on a budget, k! And trust me we've had horrific past experiences! (see my "heritage marina hotel" review...last years bday experience and the reason why i created a yelp account")
Needless to say, this hotel is adorable. Customer service is ON POINT. I emailed back n forth a bit with Mindy months ago when I booked and she gave me all the details on the rooms, things to do, etc. and even upgraded us. Once we arrived, Amanda greeted us with a Happy Birthday (to my bf; It was sweet that they noted that). and Justin at the front desk allowed us a late check out and was so friendly and informative on the different rooms that they have for our future visits.
Bottom line this hotel is older, but offers the Catalina, "island-y" feel. You can go to a Four Seasons anywhere in the world and its nice, upscale, and EXPENSIVE...and they all probably look the same on the inside. You don't get that native feel. At Hermosa Hotel you definitely get that, which I love it, totally recommend it and will 100% return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This review pertains ONLY to the bungalows--not the historic hotel building itself. We had a two-night stay (the minimum) in mid-August for a getaway weekend. I should have known better when it only cost $100/night in peak season. The cottages look really cute and homey. However, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything (I mean everything) that goes on inside & out. The biggest gripe I had was that the windows were covered with vertical blinds that didn't close at all--you could literally see onto the bed from the sidewalk outside and into the shower from the neighboring building. I had to buy some packing tape from the Vons next door and tape the blinds shut and hang towels over the windows in the bathroom. Plus, as they warned us, there was no air conditioning in the room so it was roasting hot. We ended up checking out at 8 pm on our second night and taking an early ferry back to LA. There was no way I'd stay in that room again. Like I said, maybe the rooms inside the hotel are fine, but be sure to ask before you book!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Altadena
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I've stayed at the Hermosa regularly since 1981, mostly solo but sometimes with wife or friends. My typical stay would be five days to enjoy hiking, biking, scuba diving, or just relaxing. The Hermosa was always an excellent value and an extended stay fit into my budget. However, the new owners have doubled or tripled the room rates making this hotel no longer affordable for a vacation stay. The new rates are being justified by such "upgrades" as heating, a/c, and bathrooms in every room, things that are completely unnecessary for someone staying here to enjoy the island not the hotel.

I'm returning to Avalon for a three day stay in November. With the Hermosa's new higher rates, I was able to get a room at the much newer and nicer Pavilion Hotel, right on the boardwalk, for less money.

Bottom line, I have wonderful memories of staying at the Hermosa on past trips but I won't be returning there. They had the economy motel market all to themselves, but by drastically raising their rates and adding needless upgrades to the rooms, they have lost their focus and their market. They will not be able to compete with other Avalon hotels at these extravagant prices. The Hermosa used to be the best deal in Avalon, but it isn't anymore.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Fred V
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was our second time back to Catalina Island and our second stay at the Hermosa. It is definitely the best priced room on the island. The front desk staff has always been awesome and knowledgeable of the local restaurants and activities. The hotel amenities are basic, but considering the Hermosa has been around since 1896 she has been kept in good condition and feels very clean. As an active family we don't need fancy amenities when there are so many fun activities to do on Catalina! The Hermosa also provides a very convenient first floor locker room for scuba equipment, which we have used every time! It is centrally located in Avalon and is within walking distance of all restaurants, Casino Point (scuba park), and the Catalina Express. Our next vacation to the island will lead us back to the historic Hermosa Hotel!

Room Tip: Try and book your vacation during the week as the rooms are much cheaper. Rooms with a street view w...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Estee A
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This hotel call itself heritage hotel and budget hotel. They are none.
I have stayed in several nice budget hotels, and this one certainly is NOT one. Because for the kind of $60/night-facilities they provide, they'd charge you $135. Is it Catalina or just this hotel?
As for the heritage thing going, they hang partly broken plastic blinds on windows. I wonder which is the "oldie" character they are trying to show, the broken condition or the ancient age of the blinds. It might not have mattered so much if the open windows are not on the first floor right by the street! They put bulky uncessary furnitures in there to make up for (or to emphasize?) the small size of the room.
But the highlight of my stay was when the couple next door are doing their business and I can hear them as if they are just beside me. Yup, the walls are painted thin boards.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Sound-of-Water
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The hotel location and helpfulness of the staff are unbeaten and the price is extremely competitive for Avalon. This hotel is exactly as advertised, an older, historic hotel with old fashioned amenities. That means small rooms and shared baths (or baths down the hallway). It was an experience for my teen age girls and their modern perspective. It is clean, but not recently remodeled. The baths and storage room in the hallway do add something not found in modern hotels, ie the ability to check in early and out late, go to the beach and still have a shower available. We are very happy to have stayed at the Hermosa hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank curtcoz
Idaho
Reviewed 12 August 2011

A cheap place, but you get what you pay for. Room was clean, but very run down.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family