“Excellent location, friendly staff, no attitude, everything we needed!”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
tastytravels4me
“Excellent location, friendly staff, no attitude, everything we needed!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in family room D, with 6 kids and two adults. We arrived and were allowed to be checked in early. We were pleased to find our very clean, comfortable room in the front of the hotel with a nice balcony right in the heart of town. It was a bit "cozy" with all of us, but we only were there for breakfast and to sleep, so we didn't mind. The hotel is so close everything- we could run back to the room during the day without any trouble. We enjoyed snorkeling, swimming out to the "dock" at the beach, hike to the botanical gardens and just had a great time exploring the island. We will be back. Thanks for your kind hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you are looking for a diver friendly hotel, then the Hermosa is a good one; or for anyone who doesn't need pristine surroundings. They have 3 lockers for gear, nice aluminum carts to haul stuff around, a big storage room in the main building, and the rooms aren't fancy. One of the nicest things is that once you have checked out, but still dive/swim/hike/get dirty, you can use their large shower room afterwards to clean up before heading home on the ferry, or whatever. And they will give you towels/soap for the shower.

Room Tip: Upper units have stairs, which are never great if hauling gear. So go lower. The a/c in the cottages...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Irvine
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I recently stayed here with my scout troop. Their family rooms were perfect for what we needed and the budget we had. The staff really makes this place worth it. They were friendly, helpful, and worked with me to get the reservations in order. They are knowledgeable about the island and offered to help in any way. We did find the rooms a little dirty, out dated, and things like the window blinds didn't really work. We also had one window that was propped up with a 2x4, something we didn't really want to mess with. Our rooms were RIGHT on the street and there was foot and street traffic throughout the night, some a little rough for the ears of my group. The mattresses had seen better days, but again... for my group (who didn't want to camp on this trip) the Hermosa Hotel worked well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I've written dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor, but I've never given such a low rating to a hotel until now.

Because there were 8 people in our party, I researched months in advance to find an economical place to stay in Avalon. I was quite happy with myself for finding a three-bedroom "family unit" at Hermosa Hotel for $392 a night.

I knew from reading the other Trip Advisor reviews that the Hermosa Hotel is old and not well maintained, but nothing prepared me for this place. Unfortunately, all the reviews appear to be of the 1-room cottages, and not of the family unit (which is far worse than the cottages).

Perhaps no one (besides us) has rented this family unit, which would explain why it hasn't been reviewed yet, and why there is a THICK layer of dust everywhere inside the place. It is so filthy that I refused to take off my shoes, and I was even afraid to take a shower there. I kept my sandals next to the shower so I could dry off and get out without stepping on the floor.

I've always thought it's a little tacky when people focus their reviews on things like dust, peeling paint, cracked windows, stained floors, water damage etc. But this place truly has all those problems and more. It was almost laughable, except that one room even had an electical outlet that was missing the cover plate (see my posted pictures) -- a serious safety issue -- especially since there was a 2-year old in our group. Thankfully, we only booked one night here, because I don't think I could have stayed for two.

We also encounted false (or at least misleading) advertising. The Hermosa Hotel website features a video tour giving the impression that it has an outdoor grill. (Our party of 8 was planning on using this grill to cook dinner.) But upon checking in, we learned that the grill is actually located at a "sister property" several blocks away (and up a hill), making it completely useless.

I still can't believe we payed $392 a night to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Yoritomo

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

San Diego
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel is old, the walls are thin, showers are small, and there are really no amenities to speak of. BUT. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay. The staff is very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable. What more do you really need after a day at the beach? I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Hermosa hotel delivered. We had a comfortable, clean room in this rustic old town-style building. It is not your typical hotel - it's actually much more interesting than most and it is simply a stones throw to the town. Clean and affordable with amenities for outdoors-type equipment etc..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dr_P_Wilson
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hermosa Hotel is a great, beach hotel, reminiscent of Calif. Days gone by yet is modern with ensuite bathrooms,coffee maker, frig. , microwave in our rooms. The stairs to the upper levels are easy for walking and bringing up gear. There is storage area on lower levels for gear and suitcases. The staff is cordial and helpful. Coffee in foyer. Market next door. Balcony for guests overlooking the street and harbor. Quite reasonable. We were six retired women and were very comfortable and pleased with our choice for two nights and 3 days. Loved it!

Room Tip: Phone ahead to make your needs known. They are quite helpful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends