“It has character.”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 19 April 2009

The Hermosa has character. You love it or you don't. Me, I love it. I've been going there for 13 years. I went almost every month for a couple of years while writing a story for a screenplay that takes place in Avalon and at the Hermosa. The Hermosa was the hang-out of my main character. If the movie is ever made, I hope the same people run it, and I hope the trees in front of my second floor room are still there at the balcony - otherwise he has no way to escape. I love it.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank chicmatt

Reviewed 14 April 2009

I brought my Swiss-Miss-Heidi to re-live my childhood memories and have a romantic get-away. Oddly enough, 'romantic' for us means punishing kayaking and grueling hikes punctuated by good cheese and wine... and a lot of sleep. We are both avid travelers, and have been, indeed lived, all over the world, from Europe to Central America to SE Asia. A friend who is a long-term customer of the Hermosa recommended I stay there, as I was on a budget yet eager to hike and kayak like crazy with my Alps raised better half.

If you are not familiar with the Swiss, there are some pronounced stereotypes:
Attracted to Value (not just price)
Concerned about Safety
Very Practical, (although conservative...)
Good Manners are Important

I would say that the Hermosa excelled in every category.

I must say, were very pleased with how kindly the staff treated us. For example, we stayed two nights, then kayaked overnight, followed by another night at the Hermosa. They watched our bags overnight and helped us by giving beta for various activities we planned. They also arranged tickets to the Casino tour, on our last day. Lastly, upon departing they happily offered us the chance to shower off, which allowed us another day of running around.

What we needed was quite nights of sleep after heavy physical activity, as well as some privacy and occasional advise. Because we wanted privacy, we paid for the B+ rooms (I believe) which gave us a mini-fridge, microwave, and bathroom. We much prefer this arrangements, especially her! It was certainly worth extra the money for us. Additional perks were the wi-fi availability and cable TV.

One interesting policy made very clear, was that people would be kicked out if they made too much noise. Personally, this was comforting. Not sure where people would go on such a small island, if they were given the boot, and we did not have this experience to report back on, but it was clear to me that this place is not really a party-place, to say the least. For us, this was an asset, nay comforting. For others, I imagine they would be pissed off! The place just had it's own feel to it, and we loved it.

The shared-bathroom single-rooms (which we did not rent, but looked into) are simple but ample enough, and for any room don't expect Mediterranean vista views from your room - but was not the point for us. These were right out the door! We hiked miles and miles, swam, kayaked, snorkeled, used our camp-stoves out and about, and just had a blast!

In conclusion: Avalon is an expensive, Yacht draped town of great beauty and outdoor opportunity. The Hermosa offers "the rest of us", who either prefer or require simplicity, the opportunity to visit and enjoy this jewel of the California coast.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CouchsurferPro
Reviewed 10 April 2009

went for my 50th b-day,first time on island,it was just what i wanted,all though they do have tv i loved my room,no tv no phones, the whole purpose of vacation, getting away,and i hiked everyday, i came back to a clean room,wonderful friendly staff, and my room was right next to the shared bathroom and it was always clean and nice,i am planning on coming back and staying in my room again, number 25, perfect for me, low price and clean and a wonderful view out my window.a hikers perfect place to stay and right next to the grocery store and beach,center of everything,staff was wonderful, asked for extra pillow and blanket and they immediately took it to my room,they do have fridges and micro, but i was there to enjoy the outdoors so packed stuff to eat on my hikes,the only complaint i would have is the bed was a little hard for me,other than that i loved the whole experience

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sha-nae-nae-50
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I have read some of the bad reviews and was disgusted. I feel that I need to defend what we have come to love. The hotel gives more than a great value for the dollar. There are some wonderful, more expensive hotels in Catalina for those who need more than a basic clean, charming, nostalgic stay. My money is on the Hermosa. We love the offbeat and have stayed in castles, historic forts, lighthouses, boats, yurts, hostels, cabins and in 5 star hotels. We have been going to Catalina for five years and have stayed at two other hotels and a beautiful bed and breakfast on the island. I have learned after three stays to book the family room at the Hermosa and know that we will be enchanted.
My children can walk to the beach or the dock a block away to fish. They go to the store next door and walk to visit friends who live on the island. I feel comfortable with their innate ability to just be kids when we are here. We have a kitchen and so save on meals. We still go out to eat but not every meal. I would pay as much somewhere else for 2 or 3 nights as I pay at the Hermosa for a week. This enables us to vacation longer and relax more. Maintenance, housekeeping and the staff at the desk were great. WiFi was accessible in the room although the hotel only guaranteed the lobby. The TV worked great for the small amount of time we were in the room to use it. The room, bath, and beds were clean and comfortable. We slept great. The hotel is centrally located and has always
We could stay anywhere. We choose the Hermosa.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank buzzardbeak
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We just returned from a weekend on Catalina Osland. I was a lillte worried about the hotel,but i had nonething to worry about. Mindy helped me with my reservation, she helped my on the phone and by email. Her service was excellent. Check-in went very well at the front desk. We had a very nice gentlenman show us to our room, he made sure the room was up to standards, and gave us some great tips on what to while we were on island. The room was clean, no bugs no trash under the beds, and no problems with the shower. The bathroom was clean and no problems with the kitchen. The kitchen and the dishes were clean.
Overall yes i would stay at this hotel, it is very close to the beach, stores, and places to eat.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank biglissa
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I just returned from a 4 day 3 night trip to Avalon on a school scuba diving trip. The hotel is a great little place just off the main street. Although pretty much anything is within walking distance in Avalon, the Hermosa is just a few feet from a Vons grocery store on one side, a movie rental store on the other, and just a five minute walk to the farthest restaurant. The staff was unbelievably helpful and kind, and really helped to make our experience even better! I read some of the reviews of this hotel before traveling, and many of them gave poor ratings of the hotel, which I don't find to be true at all. Sure, it doesn't have a personal massage therapist in every room, or a 17 head shower, but it's undoubtedly a great little hotel. If you're willing to forego some of the unnecessary amenities and spend some quality time in a cozy location, then I would highly recommend the Hermosa Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SnapperT
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Granted The Hermosa is no Hilton, but its not ment to be ... nor does it pretend to be ...
the personel was kind and curtiouse, the new owner friendly ... the cottages were simple.. clean free of clutter... Wifi was available in the lobby
overall a very nice hotel for a very reasonable price..

will defenately go back ...

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank m0dern_day_n0mad