“This hotel ROCKS!!!!”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 27 June 2009

This hotel ROCKS! Definitely the BEST place to stay in Avalon if you are looking for the best deal in town and want the friendliest service in the world. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who is looking for an upscale environment though, but if you do, you could easily pay 300 a night. If you are a simple kind of folk, in Avalon for a good time and want a sweet and simple hotel experience, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU! You will not be disappointed.
Super close to beach, your own room with clean towels, yummy yummy coffee made fresh for you every morning for free, and free baggage holding after you check out. What more could a traveler want?

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thetravelingfools

Reviewed 22 June 2009

Dear All.

Me and my wife stayed at the Hermosa hotel in a cottage and all i have to say is ,the building is over a 100 years old so look the rooms too.
The room is tiny looks a hundred years old ,the matrass has the springs comming thru,dirty carpet,mirrors are so old that the silver reflecting background is pealing off and the walls are paperthin,toilet wont flush.
You can hear everysingle word of the conversation of your neighbours and you will really hope there is nobody next to you or older people who go to bed earlie.
They can atleast upgrade the rooms,new mirrors,new paint ,carpet,insulate the wall.
It is not worth the 140 dollars a night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I liked this hotel. I knew about inexpensive hotels in Catalina and was ready for a small room. The rooms are small not very small, but comfortable. The staff was great. Only a ten minute walk to harbor. This is a no frills hotel, but it supplies everything needed for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank virtuouswsf
Reviewed 19 April 2009

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in Avalon, this is it! The rooms are comfortable. The staff is so friendly and helpful. it is an easy walk to downtown and the beach. We had planned to stay three nights, but were enjoying ourselves we added another night. As nature would have it, we had to extend our trip another night, due to weather and the staff were very accomodating to our needs.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank smacrn
Reviewed 19 April 2009

The Hermosa has character. You love it or you don't. Me, I love it. I've been going there for 13 years. I went almost every month for a couple of years while writing a story for a screenplay that takes place in Avalon and at the Hermosa. The Hermosa was the hang-out of my main character. If the movie is ever made, I hope the same people run it, and I hope the trees in front of my second floor room are still there at the balcony - otherwise he has no way to escape. I love it.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank chicmatt
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I brought my Swiss-Miss-Heidi to re-live my childhood memories and have a romantic get-away. Oddly enough, 'romantic' for us means punishing kayaking and grueling hikes punctuated by good cheese and wine... and a lot of sleep. We are both avid travelers, and have been, indeed lived, all over the world, from Europe to Central America to SE Asia. A friend who is a long-term customer of the Hermosa recommended I stay there, as I was on a budget yet eager to hike and kayak like crazy with my Alps raised better half.

If you are not familiar with the Swiss, there are some pronounced stereotypes:
Attracted to Value (not just price)
Concerned about Safety
Very Practical, (although conservative...)
Good Manners are Important

I would say that the Hermosa excelled in every category.

I must say, were very pleased with how kindly the staff treated us. For example, we stayed two nights, then kayaked overnight, followed by another night at the Hermosa. They watched our bags overnight and helped us by giving beta for various activities we planned. They also arranged tickets to the Casino tour, on our last day. Lastly, upon departing they happily offered us the chance to shower off, which allowed us another day of running around.

What we needed was quite nights of sleep after heavy physical activity, as well as some privacy and occasional advise. Because we wanted privacy, we paid for the B+ rooms (I believe) which gave us a mini-fridge, microwave, and bathroom. We much prefer this arrangements, especially her! It was certainly worth extra the money for us. Additional perks were the wi-fi availability and cable TV.

One interesting policy made very clear, was that people would be kicked out if they made too much noise. Personally, this was comforting. Not sure where people would go on such a small island, if they were given the boot, and we did not have this experience to report back on, but it was clear to me that this place is not really a party-place, to say the least. For us, this was an asset, nay comforting. For others, I imagine they would be pissed off! The place just had it's own feel to it, and we loved it.

The shared-bathroom single-rooms (which we did not rent, but looked into) are simple but ample enough, and for any room don't expect Mediterranean vista views from your room - but was not the point for us. These were right out the door! We hiked miles and miles, swam, kayaked, snorkeled, used our camp-stoves out and about, and just had a blast!

In conclusion: Avalon is an expensive, Yacht draped town of great beauty and outdoor opportunity. The Hermosa offers "the rest of us", who either prefer or require simplicity, the opportunity to visit and enjoy this jewel of the California coast.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CouchsurferPro
Reviewed 10 April 2009

went for my 50th b-day,first time on island,it was just what i wanted,all though they do have tv i loved my room,no tv no phones, the whole purpose of vacation, getting away,and i hiked everyday, i came back to a clean room,wonderful friendly staff, and my room was right next to the shared bathroom and it was always clean and nice,i am planning on coming back and staying in my room again, number 25, perfect for me, low price and clean and a wonderful view out my window.a hikers perfect place to stay and right next to the grocery store and beach,center of everything,staff was wonderful, asked for extra pillow and blanket and they immediately took it to my room,they do have fridges and micro, but i was there to enjoy the outdoors so packed stuff to eat on my hikes,the only complaint i would have is the bed was a little hard for me,other than that i loved the whole experience

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family