“Comfortable Stay - Good Value”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Ballwin, Missouri
“Comfortable Stay - Good Value”
Reviewed 28 August 2009

This was our first overnight stay on Catalina Island. I was initially dismayed at the summer prices for lodging, and then I stumbled on the Hermosa on TripAdvisor. The current comments were very promising and the prices were good, compared to other Catalina options.

Front desk staff is truly as friendly and helpful as other reviewers have noted. The owner popped in over the weekend and had a chance to meet and talk to him as well. They are working diligently to become the best value, friendliest lodging in Catalina.

The room was adequate. We had two double beds and it was very, very tight. Our shared bath was shared with our friends in the next room, so there were no issues with thoughtless bathroom sharing. The room was reasonably clean, however the beds need to be pulled out and the room vacuumed thoroughly. Also the screen on the window needs to be replaced - my daughter's chocolate milk fell out the 3rd story window when she set it on the sill! The look on her face was pricelss and we all got a great laugh out of that.

Regarding wifi, we were able to connect easily in the lobby. Hermosa guarantees access in the lobby and notes that some rooms may have access. Well our room did, and that was a plus.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hermosa for a stay in Avalon.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Richland34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Hebrew first
Norco, California
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Service was friendly and very helpful. Our rooms were clean & bright. Kitchenetts well supplied. Nice patio with a view of the ocean and close to the market, restaurants and shops. The best part of staying at the Hermosa Hotel was the wonderful way all personnel responded to requests. My 95 yr. old mom & 4 sisters loved their stay in Avalon, Catalina Island. I would like to be more objective but nothing negative comes to mind.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Blondie357
San Francisco, CA.
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The rooms are quite small. Normally, this shouldn't be a hindrance if it's laid out well. It wasn't. They have a large bureau, that would accommodate someone staying for a month, but no desk. They could have easily replaced the oversized and inpractical bureau with a writing table/desk.
I had a shared bathroom, but the other folks with whom I shared the bath kept locking my door from the bathroom side , so to block off my access to the common bathroom.

The room had roaches and when I complained, hoping to get some concession I was told that this was the "season" and since the hotel is located in a dry area (Avalon), this, is common. However, my friends staying at other hotels didn't have this problem.

Internet service is only available in the small lobby, but even there they have no tables at all to set your laptop down on. Great planning on the part of management. Moreover, with the installation of a simple "access point" (costs about $75) every room could have had wireless.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank LeVagabonde

Travellers are raving about these Avalon hotels

california
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The staff make this the nicest place we went on the island. Friendly, eager to help, genuine and kind. Not too many like that in Catalina. Most places we went the people were indifferent if not outright rude and the service, products, etc was nothing special.
You can leave your baggage before and after check-in/out, you can shower after you check out. And the price is right. We were there for a quick week-end dive/snorkel get-away. It was perfect. I took a shower after check out and got a hot towel straight from the dryer. The linens had a nice fresh scent also.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 July 2009

great place,i spent 2 nites @the hermosas,we had the small cottage(2 queen/1 bath/refrig.microwave) for $120 a nite!!. this is an old mansion,so there is nothing too fancy regarding the room&facilities,(i think is over 100 yrs old).you have a small vons market next to it for snacks .we went to jack"s for breakfast, and they have a bakery for pastry /coffee to-go which is 2 min away.
all the employees of the inn were very helpful and friendly:)
they are scuba diver friendly ,shops/docks few minutes away. the inn has a storage room and before taking the catalina express boat ,you can take a shower at the inn.
ps: if you planning a dive excursion,i will recommend "catalina dive luv", they have a great crews and the boat is incredible.great price, around $120 for 3 dives/8 hrs boating with snacks!
enjoy your trip :)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank islanderbob
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I've lived in Northern California for 6 years -- Finally, I got myself over to the Catalina Islands for a mini-vacation trip and so thrilled I chose Hermosa Hotel! First, with the basics: This hotel has a very down home personality, clean rooms, nice views of the residential neighborhood, close to everything (but still on a quiet block), very safe and your ferry reservations are taken care of along with your hotel reservation!

What I would like to highlight most of all -- The hotel staff is top notch!! I was blown away by how friendly, professional, helpful and such a pleasure the hotel employees were. I'm a true believer that that the attitude of any hotel staff has somewhat of an influence on the quality of your overall vacation. The Hermosa Hotel Staff made my first visit to Avalon that much more amazing!! I was able to get tips on snorkeling locations, self guided tours and assistance with directions from the airport. Most of all, I was really moved by their exceptional helpfulness when I had to cancel my 1st travel dates because of getting sick at the last minute. This lovely staff let me keep my reservations and I was able to re-book my trip for the following week! I highly recommend this hotel and feel like it's "home away from home"!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank MLMeyers
Palmdale, CA
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My 15 year old daughter and I went to Avalon to do the ocean dives needed for scuba certification. The Hermosa is an older hotel with lots of stairs and no elevator. The rooms are very basic. Absolutely no frills. (bring your own hair dryer!) Some have bathrooms and showers, some don't. But if you are a diver, it's the perfect place to stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Nobody minds that you are dragging your wet self and your wet equipment around. They have a hose and outdoor shower available. There is also a baggage room for your scuba gear which is monitored at all times while the desk is open. I will definitely stay there any time I go to dive in Catalina.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family