“Cheap Luxury”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Cheap luxury may seem to be an oxymoron, but there was quality where quality really counted. This was my first visit to Catalina Island, California. I found Hermosa Hotels while searching the internet for places to stay. I loved the price, and expected much less that we got for the price. The rooms were small, with minimal inconvenience (rooms were small, showers/toilets outside of room). However, the staff was extremely friendly and informative and exhibited excellent customer service. The linen/towels were white, clean, and soft (very important if you've had a day in the sun). The bed was very comfortable. The showers were hot, and the facilities clean. Even the toilet paper was high quality. The free coffee each morning was gourmet quality and hot. These high quality amenities far outweighed the lack of space and the minor inconvenience. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to any budget traveler/diver/beachgoer to anyone. I will stay there again on my next visit to Catalina.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Islandgirl741

Reviewed 22 January 2010

Not much to say - just disappointed. Saw great reviews, consider myself carefree and easygoing, easy to please, and looked forward to my second trip to Catalina.

Staff was mediocre and distracted, which was fine, but nothing top notch. Room was mediocre (small, but nothing special), cleanliness was a 6/10. Nice location, but really nothing special - I regretted not going somewhere nicer (lots of great places here - our friends, another couple, stayed at the Avalon and WOW! Wished we got a room there!).

This hotel was just really "blah".

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank melodicrelaxation
Reviewed 2 January 2010

The hotel has a cool cottage feel to it; it's a historic hotel maintaining the historic look and feel. It's not on the main strip so it's more peaceful and way cheaper. The rooms overlook a lot of the island. You have to get the higher level rooms, obviously. But it's something like 3 stories tall.
They have a whiteboard in the main lobby area for notes to customers and for the customers to leave their own notes. Definately a cozy place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank dr_hubato
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I loved staying at this hotel, while it may not be a Marriot or Hyatt, it is comfortable and the service is fantastic. I was there for the Catalina triathlon and I was able to check out before the race and come back later to use the showers to get dressed and store my gear. I even misplaced the key and they just said that it would turn up (and it did). Everyone was extremely accomodating, I have traveled all over the U.S. and I have never had better service, unflagging smiles and cheerful personalities.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank rae4sunshine
Reviewed 14 October 2009

My young son and I have been camping the last 3 years at Hermit Gulch so it was time for a change. I checked out pretty much all the hotels before settling on the Hermosa. I was delighted with the friendly helpful staff members - Mindy & Brandon. They were responsive and I got a very nice deal for 2 nights and round trip boat passage even during Jazz Trax. We got a cozy, clean bungalow style room with 2 double beds, our own bathroom & cable TV. It was small but very functional. We were allowed to check in early which really was such a convenience and we used the Hotel's microwave once for an evening meal. A pleasant surprise was that I was able to access the Hotel's wireless connection from my room! I know some people had to use the lobby but I guess I lucked out. The location is perfect - a little off the beaten track but still close to everything in town. We were in the back up the stairs so it was pretty quiet. This place is a great value and I recommend it to anyone who can be content with basic amenities; this is not the Ritz. Overall, I was very pleased with the entire stay and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank wordsmith96
Reviewed 28 August 2009

This was our first overnight stay on Catalina Island. I was initially dismayed at the summer prices for lodging, and then I stumbled on the Hermosa on TripAdvisor. The current comments were very promising and the prices were good, compared to other Catalina options.

Front desk staff is truly as friendly and helpful as other reviewers have noted. The owner popped in over the weekend and had a chance to meet and talk to him as well. They are working diligently to become the best value, friendliest lodging in Catalina.

The room was adequate. We had two double beds and it was very, very tight. Our shared bath was shared with our friends in the next room, so there were no issues with thoughtless bathroom sharing. The room was reasonably clean, however the beds need to be pulled out and the room vacuumed thoroughly. Also the screen on the window needs to be replaced - my daughter's chocolate milk fell out the 3rd story window when she set it on the sill! The look on her face was pricelss and we all got a great laugh out of that.

Regarding wifi, we were able to connect easily in the lobby. Hermosa guarantees access in the lobby and notes that some rooms may have access. Well our room did, and that was a plus.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hermosa for a stay in Avalon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Jocelyn S
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Service was friendly and very helpful. Our rooms were clean & bright. Kitchenetts well supplied. Nice patio with a view of the ocean and close to the market, restaurants and shops. The best part of staying at the Hermosa Hotel was the wonderful way all personnel responded to requests. My 95 yr. old mom & 4 sisters loved their stay in Avalon, Catalina Island. I would like to be more objective but nothing negative comes to mind.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family