“Best Value on the Island, hands down!!!!”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Came to Avalon with my girlfriend to celebrate our anniversary. We were lucky enough to get one of the ocean view suites, which were all booked last time we were on the island. It was a little extra, but after our stay I would say it is worth every penny. It had a huge private patio where we ended up spending most of our time. The view from the patio was awesome, a panoramic view of the harbor and neighboring hillside. During the day, we ate our meals out on the porch (the room has a full kitchen) and at night we enjoyed some nice wine under the clear night sky. The inside was nice too, it had a flat screen TV (which of course we didn't use), two bedrooms, and a giant massaging showerhead. The only drawback was that you have to climb a huge flight of stairs to get up to the ocean view suite, but you forget about that as soon as you see the view. Service is good, rooms are clean, there's a grocery store next door, there's really not much else to complain about here. If you are going more for an economical vacation, their regular rooms are a great value, I believe the most inexpensive on the island. We started with a regular room before deciding to treat ourselves to the ocean view upgrade. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a romantic getaway at a greatu value. Also, you should call the office because they have packages that include the boat fare, which will save you some money. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HudsonPenner
There are newer reviews for Hermosa Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2011

I can't say enough about the Hermosa Hotel. Both my Aunt and myself care for my Grandmother and never get a break. My Uncle came in to take over for a week and even though we couldn't afford it, I hoped online and found a great deal at the Hermosa Hotel. The entire staff walked us through the reservation and seemed just as excited as we were about our mission to get out of town. Mindy and Jake gave us a package with reduced boat prices and an amazing price on the room. When we arrived everyone greeted us at the desk and suprised us by giving us the best room available, a bungalo at the top with amazing views! We had such a great time we couldn't leave the next day so the staff gave us another night at a great rate. I don't think I will stay anywhere else when I go to the Island. Thanks to everyone for the reccomendations on what to do, we had a blast and can't wait to see you guys soon! Huge thanks again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Leahperfect
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The Hotel is right at the end of the main strip and is in a great location. It's two doors down from a little grocery store, golf cart rentals, restaurants, and shops, and one short block away from the tour kiosk.

We stayed in one of the cottages and it was quite small, but the beds were comfy, there was air conditioning, but we only needed the heater in January! Also, there was free wifi and a computer for use in the lobby. The cottage made us feel like we were in a small cabin. The bathroom had been retiled and the shower redone. We had plenty of towels.

I think what made this stay so good was the people though. It felt like you were staying with friends. They had great recommendations for things to do and where to go, were friendly and available and made you feel like you were a guest in their home instead of hotel.

If you are looking for something more relaxed and friendly, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nmcrose
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I'm really happy to know you enjoyed your visit to the island, and your stay at our property. We hope to see you again!! Mindy

Reviewed 3 November 2010

I have been coming to the Hermosa Hotel for 10 + years and the NEW owners have been making continual improvements in order of importance ( a huge undertaking on two properties ) while keeping the rates reasonable. Such a joy to see these improvements and new amenities ( such as a conference room, lobby computer and WiFi) every time i'm here (3-4 times a year). The friendly staff bends over backwards to help with any requests from sparkling clean extra linens to loaners and loves implementing suggestions. While it is true that hot water may take a tiny bit longer to reach the top floors of this charming Victorian hotel the fact that it is still THE best deal on the island leaving you with more cash to enjoy all the fun activities and fine dining available. I have brought many friends here and they all love it, returning time and time again. I ONLY stay at the centrally located HERMOSA HOTEL and consider it my home away from home any always hate to leave! Hint : For town or ocean views try the front rooms street side, for more quiet try rooms further back in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I would not be writing this review if I had paid hostel prices for this hotel and expected bad hostel level accommodations This place is effectively hostel quality at a hotel price. The rooms are small and cramped, the mattresses sag and creak, the blinds on the windows are falling apart, the sheets were threadbare, grey colored, stained, and I found hairs in the bed I was sleeping in. The bathrooms are tiny and dirty, again I found hairs on the floor. There is dust everywhere, the fan was coated in it, as were the walls and ceiling beams. The walls are paper thin, so bring ear plugs. This could be a nice hotel due to its location but the standard of cleaning, maintenance, and beds/bathrooms is poor. On the plus side, the location is good (though it is on one of the busier roads), and the front desk staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband & I won a 2 night stay through a time-share promotion. The room was extremely small; the bathroom floor was not level; we had to ask for handtowels & washclothes. No air conditioner; to cool off the room, we opened the windows at night, but the noise pollution was tremendous! Golf carts are noisier than cars! We thought our room was near an interstate with 18 wheelers constantly running up & down the road. Things got quiet around midnight but the noise level picked up around 5 am. We will NEVER stay in this place again. If we ever go back to Avalon, we will stay in a nicer place that is not in the heart of the town. The fine dining & hiking offset this crappy room. Deb & Sam

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2010

If you want to stay at Catalina Island with a budget price range, clean rooms, friendly staff, and be in the heart of catalina downtown ---- Hermosa is the place to stay!

I had stayed in Room Style E - because it was the most affordable in the island during Labor day weekend.
I did NOT need a television and I do not mind using the community restrooms and showers. I would rather spend my money - on the outdoors - snokeling, kayaking, and hiking to spending money on nice restaurants and drinking ! The bathrooms and showers are VERY clean. The rooms are VERY clean. The location is in the middle of everything! There is a grocery store down the street - if you want to buy bottle water or snacks.

Please keep in mind, there are rooms with televisions and your own bathroom & cottages with kitchens too.

• Stayed: September 2010