“Great little hotel, close to everything”
Review of Hotel Mac Rae

Hotel Mac Rae
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Malibu, California
“Great little hotel, close to everything”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here last month. It is the first time we have stayed at a hotelright on Front street. It was very clean, close to everything and I loved the little court yard in the center. The court yard is quiet and a great place to have your morning coffee and an afternoon bottle of wine. We also took a look at the ocean view rooms that go on sale in November for $69 a night. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank malibujacqui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Did the research, Hotel Mac Rae had the best rates. Didn't know what to expect, since the room was so inexpensive, I thought there must be a catch. Finding the hotel was no problem since it's right in the middle of the main drag along the beach. A nice, well lit stairway led us up to a courtyard and the front desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was PERFECT. Small, yes. But very clean and comfortable and safe. Great lighting, not dark and dreary like some hotels. New fixtures in the bathroom. Very quaint. Lots of character. Turned out there was no catch after all, just a great deal and a pleasant time. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Brigitte B
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I took my wife and 10 year old son here for a one night stay in mid july. We did not go to catalina island expecting a 5 star hotel, we wanted a clean comfortable room close to the beach for a competitive price. This hotel was perfect, The property was clean and well maintained, the room was very clean and just right for what we needed. We loved the location and the staff was awesome and very helpful. In fact they shipped an inexpensive item to us that we left in the room without even asking if we wanted them to or not. if you are in catalina to experience the island and not sit in a room, this is a great place. If you expect extras and ammenities you'd better look elsewhere. We will stay here again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank moscols
Ventura, California
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here once before and weren't to impressed with the room. It was small, old, dirty and the bed was nothing to write home about. However, the price is right for how conveniently located it is and we're never in the room much when we're in Catalina.

On our second stay last week we checked into our room only to find the toilet did not work. The toilet bowl itself did not fill with water at all. I talked to the hotel staff, they called a plumber. The plumber could not fix the toilet till the following day. They could not switch our room for the weekend as the hotel was sold out (not uncommon in the summer to have every hotel in Catalina to be sold out on the weekends).

I told the staff my bill needed to be adjusted appropriately for the major and unacceptable inconvenience ... She called the owner, the owner advised to take only 20 dollars off the bill. My bill for 2 nights was $536! I found this owner to be full of greed and I took it as an insult to have me pay $516 for 2 nights when the toilet doesn't even work. I was lucky enough to find another room with a cheaper rate at another hotel just a short distance down the street. Once we switched hotels we had a great weekend.

You don't get much for your money in Catalina I've always known this, but I will never stay here again and give one dollar of my money to this greedy and terrible customer service hotel again as this didn't seem like it was the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last they try to take advantage of their customer's!

Steer Clear of this place!

Room Tip: Stay at "The Pavilian" if you can afford it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank onlyhonest805
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel was just what I expected. Basic but cute with small, clean rooms, a charming courtyard and great in town location. Nothing fancy but I would stay again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This was a nice, clean little room. It is a older hotel but that gave it charm. the room is not big but when you are in Avalon you do not just sit in your room anyway. It is just for sleeping! You have to go upstairs to get to the hotel so may not be good for anyone who has a hard time with stairs. The stairs come out to a cute private courtyard that has very comfortable chairs. The Mac Rae has muffins, OJ and coffee in the morning that we had while sitting out in the courtyard while planning our day. The staff was very nice. If you are looking for a nice place to lay your head at night in between adventures than The Mac Rae is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
San Diego
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We stayed there this past weekend. I live in San Diego, and travel to Catalina often. The location of this hotel can't be beat when it comes to being close to the beach, shops and restaurants. The downside was the noise and lack of sleep because of it.

We stayed in one of the ocean front rooms, and the noise from the bar below it (music / karaoke) went on until about 2:00 am. The people from the bar would also stand outside on smoke breaks yelling and screaming right outside our windows. I was very close to actually calling the Sheriff's department because some of them were yelling at the top of their lungs for hours. My wife and I did not get any sleep.

If I was planning on going out drinking till 2:00 in the morning I would probably stay there again. If I actually wanted to get some sleep I would either pick another place, or ask for a room in the back away from the bar. Nice place, nice staff, but very noisy. Something to think about if you are going to stay there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple