“Hotel from Hell”
Review of Hotel Mac Rae

Hotel Mac Rae
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Checked in w a friend , wanted to try a diff hotel this yr., will def stay w the Pavillion next time. Just left bag in rm then went about town. Got back to room and really took a gd looksie and to my horror found pubic hair in the shower, sink and bed!! Toilet seat falling apart, dirty drains, and shower stall, wet stains in drawers and dirty old blankets. Complained and after 15 mins was issued a refund. This left us w/o a rm for the nite and none available on the entire island! Had cut stay short and go home! This is a public health issue problem. For 278.00 w tax this room was deplorable and filthy.!!! Furniture was old & dirty and stained w food. Very unhealthy environment. Bed was rock hard - non giving! If you enjoy exposing your health to other peoples filth then by all means book a room here!!

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Carol K

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We brought our family to Catalina last week for four days and three nights to celebrate two birthdays. We stayed at the Mac Rae. We had three ocean front rooms and two courtyard rooms at a cost of over $4000.00. Having stayed at the Mac Rae numerous times over 20 years we knew the room size etc., but with 3 young people in our group the location is wonderful. This time there was a marked difference. Other than the three housekeepers I was amazed at how indifferent and unfriendly the staff was. A woman claiming to be the owner was indifferent to rude. Knowing finding rooms elsewhere would be impossible plus my credit card was charged for the room three months prior when we made reservation we decided to not let them ruin our trip. We had a wonderful time. Everyone (as usual) is so nice on the island. The day at the cabanas was fabulous with great service. We will not stay at the Mac Rae again. We will miss how the hotel used to be. Friendly service, the smell of baking spice cake in the morning with fresh fruit, great coffee and fresh orange juice. Managers that clearly loved being there interacting with quest.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shell6666
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel has an excellent location, overlooking the main Crescent street and the beach. We forgot to bring beach towels, so the ones hotel provided came in handy. The room was small but very clean, also reasonably priced.

Room Tip: The standard room is small, it had a king bed, giant closet and a desk. The bathroom is new and spac...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna A
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The continental breakfast was great. I would just suggest that the hotel provide some type of tongs or other gripping device for guests to grab their morning muffins with. Also, we enjoyed the courtyard in the middle, though I noticed it was not "smoke-free". Would it be less economical to make the entire hotel smoke-free? Overall, it's a very nice place to stay in a convenient location right in front of the beach. It was the second time I stayed there with my sons.

Room Tip: I think all locations of the rooms are quiet enough. If you're willing to pay more, the ocean v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle687
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My BF and I went to Catalina on a whim this past Saturday. ALL hotels online were booked. We walked past and saw "Vacancy" and thought we should see how much it would cost to stay a night. Usually we find prices in/around $600+ per night on the weekends, so we have never gone before. We walked up and were greeted by an extremely well-mannered girl named Daisy working the lobby desk. She had the most amazing laugh that was contagious and allowed us to book the final room for the night. THIS right here is the reason I am writing this review. The room was adequate, and served its purpose of having a bed for the night and allowing us to enjoy one more day on Catalina. That being said, I would have never gone through with the transaction of booking the room had it not been for such a kind and energetic employee like her. They also give you free beach towels and have tons of movies you can rent for the night, including new releases. The hotel is the perfect PRIME location, literally walking out of the hotel onto the water, no joke.
The bed was amazing. I had such a good sleep, and I never knew I would prefer a firmer mattress ever in my life, until the other night when I slept so peacefully in this bed.

Daisy - you deserve a raise girl, because you were amazing. We told you we would be back, and you better remember us! :)

Keep on laughing!

Chris and Neil

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a lovely little hotel right on front street. It is located directly overlooking the beach & has a nice sunny courtyard in which to relax. Restaurants & shops are a minute walk out & down the stairs. There is no elevator but its only one flight of stairs & the location is so central to everything it makes a few stairs worth it. I love this place & will always stay here. Staff is so friendly & accommodating you will not want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Andrea R
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was worried about staying here due to the exterior look, but pleasantly surprised as I walked upstairs. Great central location, very friendly staff and nice rooms....small but nice. First night I stayed toward the back which was very quiet and the second night I stayed toward the front with an ocean view. very accommodating! I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple