“Great place to Stay!”
Review of Hotel Mac Rae

Hotel Mac Rae
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 30 September 2006

I researched for quite a while and decided to stay at the Mac Rae, because I am a college student and I could afford it (due to cheap off season rates) and the location looked great. But I still didn't know what to expect. I was kind of wondering why a place with such a great location whould be so cheap.
To my great satisfaction it was a wonderfull place to stay. I stayed mid-week so it was quite. The room was small but cute and clean. The staff were very helpful. The Hotel was very cute and the location was perfect!
My only complaint is that my vacation was not long enough! I will definitly go back to the Mac Rae

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Lalevens
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mac Rae

Reviewed 29 September 2006

Took my boyfriend here for his birthday. Was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews, but decided to take a chance based on the price/location. From the person who took my reservation (ok-I went old school-by phone!) till the time we left, I have to say it was a fantastic trip! The hotel is not fancy, so if you're used to 5 stars, go somewhere else. We arrived way before check in, and were greeted by friendly, helpful staff who let us store our stuff until our room was ready, so we could go explore. Its a great central location-walking distance to everything. Checking in was no problem. The room was clean & tastefully decorated-no complaints here. They offer videos to borrow-but you can do that at home-go out & see the sights! The grounds were nice. All in all, can't say anything bad about this hotel, would definitly recommend to others!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank Beachgirl82
Reviewed 2 September 2006

This year we decided to go to Catalina for a couple of days.
Opon review Hotel Mac Rae seemed like the best choice as far as rates & location. We booked reservations and every thing was good to go. Then things started falling apart & it started to look like we would not be able to go to Catatlina at all :(
I do not know how many times I had called to change different dates,rooms, availablity, etc. Hotel Mac Rae & staff were able to make everything work out - Good Job.

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank macrae
A TripAdvisor Member
Redlands, CA
Reviewed 30 June 2006

This is the first time me and my wife have been to this hotel and Catalina Island. I have heard both positive and negative comments about all the hotels on Catalina and was in a fix as to which hotel to book. This is the only hotel that had a higher number of positive comments and is right by the beach..So I booked the room there for the memorial day long weekend.

We had a warm welcome by one of the lady at the front desk who checked us in. The room was a lil small and even the bathroom was not so spacious. No telephone (who needs them when u r on a vacation! :) ). We could rent free videos, free beach towels, and even after we checked out, we could use one of the guest showers. They had free continental breakfast also!

We are newly married and really enjoyed our stay! Kinda like our honeymoon! :)

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Mac Rae for our anniversary. It is not a fancy hotel but very, very clean and the service is excellent. It is near everything and steps from the beach. There is a bar next door, however we did not hear a thing. The courtyard is nice and relaxing and is also very clean. This is the best value in Catalina. The rooms are not big, but you do not stay in the room much. The have security gates that they lock at 10:00 pm and you can access your room through these gates using the room key. This keeps the bar patrons from being any where near the rooms. Overall, the room was nice and relaxing and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 May 2006

The Hotel MacRae

II was a little doubtful about booking this place based on the other reviews I read but decided to take a chance since it was only $55 for a queen room in the courtyard, (there are more expensive rooms available) but this room was fine for a couple who just wanted to chill out, watch a little TV, sleep and shower in it. This room was so much cheaper than most of the other hotels nearby. The best thing about the hotel is that it's so central to all the bars and shops in Avalon and close to the ferry landing area, just a 5 minute walk on the flat. The ladies in the recpetion office were very helpful and friendly and told us we could use the hotel beach towels (so you don't need to take any) and borrow films to watch in our room. Also they have a bathroom for guests to take a shower in after they have checked out, we used this after the beach and it was very clean and well stocked. Our room was small but the bathroom wasn't too bad and there was shampoo & conditioner for us. The room wasn't newly furbished but there was a large wardrobe and a ceiling fan. I do imagine the room would get a bit stuffy in warmer months, so that could be a problem for some people. There is a nice central patio area with comfy loungers where you can sit and read a book etc, it's nice and peaceful. This is by no means a luxury hotel or anywhere super special, but our room was such good value for money and perfect for a short stay on a budget. We would definately stay there again.

What we did in Avalon;

We hired a little speed boat for an hour from the place on the pier for $50 and went down the coast past the casino and snorkelled for a bit. Going on the boat was good fun but the snorkelling wasn't that great, although my boyfriend did see a sting ray. The snorkelling at Lovers Cove (which is the other direction, 5 minute walk from town) is apparently better. We also hired a tandem bicycle which was $12 for an hr from the place near where the ferry drops you off, this was a cheaper alternative to the golf carts, which cost about $30/hr. The little museum by the casino is also worth a visit, it was interesting to learn about the history of the island and only cost $4 each. There is also a little bar on the marina right next to the museum which was a nice spot to sit, and look out to sea and enjoy a drink, it seemed like there was more locals there than other places. The food at The Galleon on the main street was good and well priced and we had some nice coffee and cakes from CC Galaghers just down the road. I hope this review helps those visting the island on a budget! We had a great time and wouldn't have changed a thing.

19  Thank nimchop
Reviewed 10 April 2006

If you're looking for prime location, Hotel Mac Rae is the place to be!! Our room was literally overlooking the small beach in Avalon, and from our window we basically were on display to anyone and everyone walking by (noted when my boyfriend went to use the restroom and realized he didn't close the blinds and probably put on quite a show for some onlookers outside). The room was VERY small for the amount of money we paid for it, but you're not on Catalina to hang out in your hotel room anyways. We had a Queen Ocean View room - off season rates. The hotel does serve a continental breakfast in the mornings and you can rent unlimited free VHS movies from the front desk if you wish.

The hotel is located directly above the most popular karaoke bar on the Island, and also located right above the main street walkway on the Island... so expect noise!! They provide earplugs in the hotel room for you, and there's a good reason for that. It wasn't too bad since we weren't there during their peak season, and the island wasn't as crowded as it gets in the summertime - I can only imagine how loud it would be then!!

This hotel has it's good and bad qualities... the front desk staff were all super nice and friendly and let us leave our bags in their storage area after checkout until our 7pm ferry ride back to the mainland. The location can't be beat if you want to be in the middle of all the action.

Downside... the noise factor and the quality of the room versus the price you're paying for the room. But if you're not a picky person and don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room, and you don't mind earplugs and are a heavy sleeper... you'll love it! :)
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2006