“Birthday Adventure”
Review of Catalina Scuba Luv

Catalina Scuba Luv
Reviewed 9 October 2013

So my boyfriend and I decided to try SNUBA for the first time. Now while I snorkel and took SCUBA lessons years ago it was my boyfriends first time in a wetsuit!! Cody was AMAZING !! He was super careful with my boyfriend and easing him into the water and then keeping me under as I am really floaty ;) We had a great time out there and can't wait to go back!! Cody was really helpful and totally fun!! We plan to bring more friends next time but we will for sure be back. Thanks for a great time!!!

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We had a dive scheduled with another dive shop that fell through. Scuba Luv was very accommodating to us as walk-ins. We are both newly certified and our guide was great. Diving in a kelp forest was a neat experience - we look forward to returning again.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Forget trying to get a message sent to anyone here through Tina. Oh, and you will NOT get a call back .And her knowledge of the current conditions and what's happening outside of the shop is almost nil. Scheduling? good luck. The only way is to get a reservation made. And , hope the ferry system works in your favor. They have missed out on some business for sure, (just from me a few times) I don't know how many others, but that shouldn't harm them. The reason is; it's a captive crowd. I mean the underwater is just as described by others. SO, if you go there, and you dive, you will enjoy it. Catalina is awesome on it's own. Not because Scuba Luv makes it that way.
I think you should go to Catalina with your own gear, and instructor, or dive buddy, who is familiar with the Casino Point, and has been on the dive boats out there.
If you have ever been to another destination, where they have a system down tight, (and you've been diving there ), knowing exactly what to expect for the day,....forget this place.
There is NO excitement generated by anyone in the shop or on the phone. I wanted to do several courses with them, but now I will have to hire outside. When a business gets a call from someone wanting to come in and spend money, they need to MAKE that happen. They NEED to sell their goods and services. When you call them, or when you leave their place, there will be no enthusiasm about having you return in the future. This kind of business is about developing relationships with the divers and making them feel good and want to return. I have experienced that personally from other dive shops, not this one. There is 1 top Dive Master there, for sure , but he doesn't answer the phones, and make the schedules, he's diving. If they had a website that showed a weekly schedule, so you pick a day when a DM is available, and you could reach them directly to line things up that might help. I don't know...needs fixing this company...I have run a prosperous business in the past so I have somewhat of an idea.
If you do schedule diving with them, they will tell you nothing about what to bring, or expect, or wear, or how it will go for the day. There is no smiling face on the other end of that line..
They have tallied up the summer's take, and it's time to roll through the fall and winter for them..

Scubaluver, Manager at Catalina Scuba Luv, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We take reviews very seriously. We appreciate your concern.We apologize for feeling you were not treated well. We are always learning, and strive to improve our business.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Great helpful professional staff and boat crew! The dives were amazing, and the boat and boat crew were simply amazing. Some of the best diving I have done with just 59 dives we saw sharks, the kelp forest, ginormous black sea bass, octopus, lobster and crabs just to name a few. We will be back!
We bought the dive package that came with the ferry, hotel and dives. Great deal!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Overall, the trip was good. The food was good, rentals were good but you could tell they were used daily. The boat staff was amazing, the captain is a dive EMT, and the dive master made sure everyone was well taken care of. Can't say enough how good the staff was.

The average rating is due to the lack of guided tours. It seems that most boats in Catalina offer guided dives, but they don't push it or even ask you about it. It really is something you need to ask about it you want. My wife and I are competent divers, but it is always nice to have someone to show you around.

Also, could have overall better dive briefings if we there isn't a guide. Maybe a picture or something.